Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I wouldn't sign Hosmer to that deal, but there are worse deals out there and Hosmer at least has age on his side.
    The only thing dumber than giving Hosmer 7+ years would be giving Arrieta 5+ years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    150 million for Eric Hosmer might win the award for worst process in my entire time following baseball. The chances of that contract working out are less than Matt Kemp winning a gold glove next year.

I seriously wouldn’t go above 4 years 60 million for him.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-03-2018), Tapate50 (01-03-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This overlooks the fact that a team in the Padres position (in particular) likely needs to go out and sign a name at some point in the event they're serious about contending in a couple years to be taken seriously as a landing spot for other free-agents. The Hosmer situation is a lot like where the Gnats were years ago when they went out and overpaid for Jayson Werth. San Diego has several pieces from within that are beginning to get close - including some pretty interesting arms. If they have a few anchors in place in Hosmer, Myers, and Renfroe with Urias and Tatis coming and intriguing arms like Lamet, Gore, Quantril, Morejon, and Espinoza getting closer future free-agents (particularly veteran Pitchers) are liable to give them more consideration in the future if they've shown they're serious about competing.

I'm not disagreeing that it's likely to turn into an overpay by any means, but at some point they're going to have to show that they're willing to pay for some pieces at some point to be taken seriously - otherwise they become the Rays several years too late (since there are so many better run front offices these days). Like everyone else, the Padres just got the $50 million payout from the MLBAM sale - if you consider that "found money", all of a sudden you're just spending $90-$100 million for 7 years of Hosmer. That doesn't seem like a huge mistake, and certainly shouldn't hamstring them.
    This may be the worst put together logic I have ever read, especially the “found money” muck. You make it seem like they have to put they $50 million back in mom’s sock drawer before she gets home if they don’t spend it on Hosmer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    150 million for Eric Hosmer might win the award for worst process in my entire time following baseball. The chances of that contract working out are less than Matt Kemp winning a gold glove next year.

I seriously wouldn’t go above 4 years 60 million for him.
    Especially when Carlos Santana signed for 3/60.

Why any team would rather sign Hosmer through age 35+ rather than Santana through age 34 is beyond me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-03-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm just ready for some dominoes to fall. This has been an extremely boring offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm just ready for some dominoes to fall. This has been an extremely boring offseason.
    Agreed. We have resorted to some seriously lame discussions around here to compensate.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Chico (01-03-2018), Tapate50 (01-03-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Especially when Carlos Santana signed for 3/60.

Why any team would rather sign Hosmer through age 35+ rather than Santana through age 34 is beyond me.
    I think Preller has done a nice job overall in SD (especially on the amateur side), but he has consistently shown questionable decision making with regards to the major league roster (Kemp, Shields, Trae Turner and Ross for Myers).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I think Preller has done a nice job overall in SD (especially on the amateur side), but he has consistently shown questionable decision making with regards to the major league roster (Kemp, Shields, Trae Turner and Ross for Myers).
    I think a quick way to rate FOs in today's game is by how they handle 1B. Teams that are willing to invest a lot of long term money on old players to man 1B are easily identifiable as below average FOs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How does defense age at 1B? What about a scenario with an above average elite fielding first baseman?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    How does defense age at 1B? What about a scenario with an above average elite fielding first baseman?
    The value of 1b defense is so small it doesn’t really age.

Pujols came up as a 3b, was an elite 1b, an above average base runner. Folks said he was so athletic he would age well. He didn’t.

Guys who play 1b are there for a reason...injury or lack of athleticism. They do not age well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The only thing dumber than giving Hosmer 7+ years would be giving Arrieta 5+ years.
    Again, I wouldn't give him anywhere near that. Just pointing out that unlike some other dumb contracts given out lately, at least Hosmer has youth on his side.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I would disagree.

He depleted his farm system to go all in on a world series run that no one thought they were even close to, then announced a tank strategy before the all star break, got suspended for rules violations, and now is looking at spending big money on an already past his prime free agent first baseman who has never been a superstar years before they should be ready to compete organically to a team that already has a long term first baseman type signed.

Good for him that he spent money in the international market and in the domestic draft and got a good perceived good return for Kimbrell, but all things considered I would say he has been pretty terrible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    If I had to guess....

The White Sox are about to buy some prospects from the Dodgers by taking Kemp and some of his contract off their hands.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    If I had to guess....

The White Sox are about to buy some prospects from the Dodgers by taking Kemp and some of his contract off their hands.
    Has to be. Kemp is an AL player now.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Has to be. Kemp is an AL player now.
    And then the White Sox get to see if Kemp can be a .900 OPS DH. I think there's a decent chance he can be.

Seems like a solid move for both sides if that's indeed what's going down.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I would disagree.

He depleted his farm system to go all in on a world series run that no one thought they were even close to, then announced a tank strategy before the all star break, got suspended for rules violations, and now is looking at spending big money on an already past his prime free agent first baseman who has never been a superstar years before they should be ready to compete organically to a team that already has a long term first baseman type signed.

Good for him that he spent money in the international market and in the domestic draft and got a good perceived good return for Kimbrell, but all things considered I would say he has been pretty terrible.
    This is rather reductive. “Spent money on international market and domestic draft”

His international draft class kicked our class’s ass that year and he gets to keep it. His drafts have been very successful. He’s made some shrewd veterans for prospect trades (Espinoza, Tatis, etc.). Overall, the Padres have an extremely healthy farm system.

I agree with you that his major league roster moves have been questionable, but I think he’s done a great job building prospect capital.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    This is rather reductive. “Spent money on international market and domestic draft”

His international draft class kicked our class’s ass that year and he gets to keep it. His drafts have been very successful. He’s made some shrewd veterans for prospect trades (Espinoza, Tatis, etc.). Overall, the Padres have an extremely healthy farm system.

I agree with you that his major league roster moves have been questionable, but I think he’s done a great job building prospect capital.

Yada, yada. Tanking isn't particularly hard. He's done very little positive that wasn't tanking.

I give him credit for not (yet?) being busted cheating his ass off to do it. Not a lot of credit, but some.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    And then the White Sox get to see if Kemp can be a .900 OPS DH. I think there's a decent chance he can be.

Seems like a solid move for both sides if that's indeed what's going down.
    Nope, just some boring trade of BP arms

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Yada, yada. Tanking isn't particularly hard. He's done very little positive that wasn't tanking.

I give him credit for not (yet?) being busted cheating his ass off to do it. Not a lot of credit, but some.
    Again... my original point is he doesn’t have a good track record building a major league roster. I can’t fathom how you can ascribe his rebuild efforts as just tanking as if that only involves losing games.

Take some time and read up on the Padres rebuild. Preller has done impressive work in the amateur markets.