Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    If the manager isn’t an analytical guy, why do you guys think he’d listen to a bench coach that’s an analytical guy?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Just another "Good Ole Boys" reasoning for keeping Hernandez. He's the 1st one to be gone just ahead of Hart. Pitching regression is a face slapper and more than enough reason to be gone.

Reason given for retaining Hernandez ---

The Braves seemed reluctant to make a pitching-coach change for the second consecutive year, after firing longtime pitching coach Roger McDowell last winter.

From DOB Blog in AJC

Pitching coach Chuck Hernandez, meanwhile, likely will be retained despite the inconsistent performance of a pitching staff that had several underperforming veterans and a median age that was steadily reduced throughout the season, to the point where four rookies were making starts by the end of the season. The Braves seemed reluctant to make a pitching-coach change for the second consecutive year, after firing longtime pitching coach Roger McDowell last winter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If the manager isn’t an analytical guy, why do you guys think he’d listen to a bench coach that’s an analytical guy?
    I personally see Snitker as the stereotypical "company guy". He's stuck around for decades because he does a solid job, is a likable guy, and takes direction from leadership. I suspect he understood that this was the plan (a bench coach who will be asked to help with lineup construction and defensive positioning based on input from the analytics department) when he was talking with Hart about whether his option would be picked up. He may not love it, but I don't think it's his personality to push back in any major way.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I personally see Snitker as the stereotypical "company guy". He's stuck around for decades because he does a solid job, is a likable guy, and takes direction from leadership. I suspect he understood that this was the plan (a bench coach who will be asked to help with lineup construction and defensive positioning based on input from the analytics department) when he was talking with Hart about whether his option would be picked up. He may not love it, but I don't think it's his personality to push back in any major way.
    The Braves obviously give tremendous value to the thing Snit does best... manage the clubhouse, ego's, and personalities. That's what the players value and why they seem to continually go to bat for him. We can criticize what we don't like, and probably make some good points, but he seems to do that very well. So, if they can get him some help in the game to game tactics, but keep his most valuable skill, then you have to at least recognize what they are doing... even if you don't agree.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-21-2017), nsacpi (10-21-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    The Braves obviously give tremendous value to the thing Snit does best... manage the clubhouse, ego's, and personalities. That's what the players value and why they seem to continually go to bat for him. We can criticize what we don't like, and probably make some good points, but he seems to do that very well. So, if they can get him some help in the game to game tactics, but keep his most valuable skill, then you have to at least recognize what they are doing... even if you don't agree.
    Managing ego's is what made people like Cox and Torre HOFers (besides having a **** ton of talent over the years). And Cox had Pat Corrales to always help with the positioning of the players and did a pretty good job of it IMO. If the Braves go with a similar situation here then I wouldn't be opposed to that.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-21-2017), Garmel (10-20-2017), mfree80 (10-20-2017), UNCBlue012 (10-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    In terms of tactical game management, the biggest part of the job is managing the pen. I think Snit is better than Fredi at this (not saying much I know). But still not that good. Some of our relievers last year did significantly better on rest than no rest. Snit was a bit inflexible in how he used the pen and didn't take seem to give the rest/no rest performance splits enough weight.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I agree that this is the most important skill a manager brings to the table.

However, there is absolutely no excuse for any manager in the 21st century to make boneheaded moves that put the team in a sub optimal position. There are about 15 scenarios in any given game where a move matters, and at least 14 of them can be planned for in advance.

There is no excuse for a manager to ever make a move during a game that wasn't planned for in advance except maybe injury situations. There is no reason the FO can't help construct, and then demand, the manager adheres to these plans.

If the managers main job is to manage people, then there should be no issue with that same manager following a plan for the dozen scenarios that happen in any given game.

The Braves wanted a stats guy to help Snit, and then hire a guy who was fired for not being a stats guy. It is an inexcusably stupid move to make to satisfy the stated goal.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Why keep Hernandez when Mike Maddux, released by Nats, Righetti(17 years Giants PC), and Bosio(5 years Cubs PC) are all available.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,382 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Why keep Hernandez when Mike Maddux, released by Nats, Righetti(17 years Giants PC), and Bosio(5 years Cubs PC) are all available.
    Because a guy who never established he knew how to throw strikes but does know how to screw up a pitcher is the perfect fit for a team with a ton of pitching prospects.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Mets name callaway manager was clevelands pitching coach. Red Sox hire Cora
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Mets name callaway manager was clevelands pitching coach.
    A team heavily built around pitching hires the pitching coach of arguably the best pitching staff in the history of MLB to lead their team.

A perfectly logical move for a team to make. As a Braves fan, it's odd to see teams make logical moves.

Of course, the Mets biggest issue is they seem to have zero clue how to handle professional athletes from a medical standpoint, so until that's addressed they will always be terrible.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-23-2017 at 11:18 AM.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm sure the Braves are deep in talks with LaRussa.
    Dave Stewart or bust

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Girardi out as Yankees manager
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Good club-friendly extension of Chase Anderson by the Brewers.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Good club-friendly extension of Chase Anderson by the Brewers.
    They already controlled his Age 30-32 seasons with 3 more years of Arb, yet they felt the need to guarantee his Age 30-31 seasons in exchange for an option over his Age 33 season (they already had an option on his Age 32 season via Arb)?

This is the kind of extension for pitchers I do not agree with.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They already controlled his Age 30-32 seasons with 3 more years of Arb, yet they felt the need to guarantee his Age 30-31 seasons in exchange for an option over his Age 33 season (they already had an option on his Age 32 season via Arb)?

This is the kind of extension for pitchers I do not agree with.
    It is so incredibly risky to do. The reward is almost never worth the risk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,552 Posts

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,981 Posts

Pro ballplayers/coaches/managers should never have these.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-27-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Funny thing - there's no evidence that the Braves didn't contact him or his people before St. Louis hired him.

Before taking shots at the organization for not hiring people that are available/become available over the next week or so, ask yourself a question - if you were reading all the reports that the situation is a mess and the team is in danger of losing prospects/draft picks and possibly getting other penalties, would YOU be unbelievably excited about coming here right now???
    Well I'd say it's pretty safe to say that we didn't pursue any of the talented pitching coaches available as we already made the announcement weeks ago that Chucky was going to be retained as pitching coach all the while he discarded lifers and good baseball guys in Perez and TP.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Well I'd say it's pretty safe to say that we didn't pursue any of the talented pitching coaches available as we already made the announcement weeks ago that Chucky was going to be retained as pitching coach all the while he discarded lifers and good baseball guys in Perez and TP.
    Just like every other team, I'm sure this organization is open to adjusting course on the fly IF the right situation presented itself with some of the big names that have been tossed around. Given the position we're in, I can't imagine any of those big names would even consider the thought of coming here right now - and I certainly can't say I blame them for not doing so. Just a guess, but if the Braves are considering replacing Snitker or Hernandez as early as next year, they're likely going to need to target "up-and-comers" that haven't yet been given their shot like Gabe Kapler, DeMarlo Hale, Sandy Alomar, Tim Wallach, Alan Mills, Stan Boroski, Darren Holmes, or Ricky Bones.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-27-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-27-2017)