Page 23 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Bill James seems awfully old fashioned on this one in some respects though the overall conclusion of Andruw being a No is reasonable.

His thesis is that Andruw is clearly not a Hall of Famer based on his offense and that it would therefore require definitive proof that he is one of the greater defenders of all time to consider him. He to a large degree dismisses or expresses agnosticism about the current defensive metrics (defendable) and for whatever reason dismisses what I recall being a fairly broad consensus of people at the time.

Basically he's saying you can't prove he's one of the greatest defenders of all time so you can't show he's deserving. Pointing out that previous people denied didn't have the benefit of defensive stats that could have gotten them in.

1) Why should past denials based on lack of information lead to the conclusion that current consideration should be equally in the dark.
    2) The players he mentioned were in no way shape of form regarded to be as good defensively in their time as Andruw was.
    3) This seems to be in many ways dismissive of the value of defense to the game. He's suggesting it is undefinable and to some degree less important.

Granted, I sort of agree with him that defensive metrics are far from established and are too inconsistent for my taste. I also tend to find defense less important overall than offense.

But I don't really care for the suggestion that maybe Andruw wasn't actually so good at defense. It seems pretty clear he was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Bill James seems awfully old fashioned on this one in some respects though the overall conclusion of Andruw being a No is reasonable.

His thesis is that Andruw is clearly not a Hall of Famer based on his offense and that it would therefore require definitive proof that he is one of the greater defenders of all time to consider him. He to a large degree dismisses or expresses agnosticism about the current defensive metrics (defendable) and for whatever reason dismisses what I recall being a fairly broad consensus of people at the time.

Basically he's saying you can't prove he's one of the greatest defenders of all time so you can't show he's deserving. Pointing out that previous people denied didn't have the benefit of defensive stats that could have gotten them in.

1) Why should past denials based on lack of information lead to the conclusion that current consideration should be equally in the dark.
    2) The players he mentioned were in no way shape of form regarded to be as good defensively in their time as Andruw was.
    3) This seems to be in many ways dismissive of the value of defense to the game. He's suggesting it is undefinable and to some degree less important.

Granted, I sort of agree with him that defensive metrics are far from established and are too inconsistent for my taste. I also tend to find defense less important overall than offense.

But I don't really care for the suggestion that maybe Andruw wasn't actually so good at defense. It seems pretty clear he was.
    Then screw bill James. Andruw should most definetely be in

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    The bottom line is this: You don't need any kind of formula other than eyesight to know Andruw Jones was an incredibly elite defender.

If you don't value that, it's on you, and yes, Andruw's offensive decline in later years makes him more of a toss-up.

But that tweet shows, honestly, remarkable ignorance.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-11-2018), JohnAdcox (01-11-2018), jpx7 (01-11-2018), Super (01-11-2018), Tapate50 (01-11-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I just don't understand Bill James' point here. Defensive metrics aren't where their offensive counterparts are, but they still do a reasonably good job of evaluating a player's value defensively. And by almost any metric out there, Andruw Jones is clearly the best defensive CF of all time. I made a post a few weeks ago that suggested by some metrics, he is the 2nd best defensive player of all time regardless of position. Only second to Brooks Robinson. If you accept that the defensive metrics even paint a vague picture of a player's value, Andruw was good enough to be a hall of famer (especially considering his offensive contributions). So basically what I am saying is: If you don't believe Andruw Jones did enough to be a Hall of Famer, then you don't value defensive metrics at all. And I know that Bill James does, which is why his opinion on this is so confusing to me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Even if you have skepticism about defensive metrics and (I still do), I think anyone with half a brain can use both the stats and their eyes. And both of those will tell you that Andruw was unbelievably gifted as a defender. Certainly far better than anyone in his generation.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    What's even more incredible is the number of people out there voting for Omar Vizquel over Andruw. No slight to Omar; he was a terrific defensive shortstop, played a long time and improved somewhat in offense for a bit, but that's a legitimate joke.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Charlie Blackmon got 1 year $14m from the Rockies in last year of arb. Josh Donaldson got 1 year and $23 m
    Get off my lawn!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    What's even more incredible is the number of people out there voting for Omar Vizquel over Andruw. No slight to Omar; he was a terrific defensive shortstop, played a long time and improved somewhat in offense for a bit, but that's a legitimate joke.
    Vizquel is a substantially worse candidate for inclusion than Andruw; it’s not even close. But he played a long time at the same mediocre level of offense, as oppposed to flashing very good production then falling off, so he’s getting more support.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    So, somebody else noticed ridiculous trade proposals being posted by Braves fans over at MLBTR. One Braves fans did acknowledge that it's occurring but is not exclusive to Braves fans. At the same time, he expressed embarrassment at the endless whining about Heyward and Kimbrel getting traded and even that Heyward was worth $17MM!

In the comments:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...portunity.html

Must believe that it's several of you fools posting this drivel on multiple sites under different user names.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    So, somebody else noticed ridiculous trade proposals being posted by Braves fans over at MLBTR. One Braves fans did acknowledge that it's occurring but is not exclusive to Braves fans. At the same time, he expressed embarrassment at the endless whining about Heyward and Kimbrel getting traded and even that Heyward was worth $17MM!

In the comments:

Must believe that it's several of you fools posting this drivel on multiple sites under different user names.
    Yeah, all fans post crazy trade ideas. I saw one the other day that was Matt Kemp and Alex Verdugo for Yelich. In their mind it makes sense. I want Yelich, don't want Kemp and wouldn't need Verdugo so let's do it.

But yes, I see some doozies from Braves fans. Any deal that has Wisler or Blair in it should not be taken seriously.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2018), Knucksie (01-12-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I was thinking we could trade wilser, Blair and.... ****. Never mind.
    Coppy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post

In the comments:

I would love to see some examples of your extremely insightful trade proposals.

I've never seen you contribute anything even remotely resembling an idea...ever.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-12-2018 at 04:11 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (01-12-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    As for Andruw, how many HoF pitchers played on his teams and benefited from his defense? I bet if you asked those guys, they would have Andruw in.

I don't think he's first ballot. But he should get in.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-12-2018), jpx7 (01-13-2018), thewupk (01-13-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Padres have extended Hand.....3 years / $18mil - $20 mil
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Well done Padres.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well done Padres.
    &19.75 mil guaranteed
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    The Padres have decided against trading away a valuable and volatile asset in favor of guaranteeing him more money.

That is a move done by a contending team. Does anyone think the Padres are a contending team?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Padres have decided against trading away a valuable and volatile asset in favor of guaranteeing him more money.

That is a move done by a contending team. Does anyone think the Padres are a contending team?
    Maybe they view that extra year or two of control as adding to his trade value? Its not a huge contract or anything, so by extending him maybe his last year or two fall within their window. Or maybe he performs really well this year in a lost season and some other team will view him as a long term bullpen solution and offer more than they otherwise would have? I'm just looking for the Padre's perspective on this.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Twins sign Addison Reed, 2/17.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Maybe they view that extra year or two of control as adding to his trade value? Its not a huge contract or anything, so by extending him maybe his last year or two fall within their window. Or maybe he performs really well this year in a lost season and some other team will view him as a long term bullpen solution and offer more than they otherwise would have? I'm just looking for the Padre's perspective on this.
    $19M over 3 guaranteed years when they will be paying him $3M this year. That’s $16M over 2 years (one of which was going to be a cheaper arb year anyways) when Reed just signed for 2/17.

I don’t see any surplus value added with his deal. They took on all the risk of guaranteeing 3 years for a BP arm in exchange for not having to give him 4 years.

This is a move made by a team that thinks they are ready to compete.