Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If the manager isn’t an analytical guy, why do you guys think he’d listen to a bench coach that’s an analytical guy?
    I personally see Snitker as the stereotypical "company guy". He's stuck around for decades because he does a solid job, is a likable guy, and takes direction from leadership. I suspect he understood that this was the plan (a bench coach who will be asked to help with lineup construction and defensive positioning based on input from the analytics department) when he was talking with Hart about whether his option would be picked up. He may not love it, but I don't think it's his personality to push back in any major way.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I personally see Snitker as the stereotypical "company guy". He's stuck around for decades because he does a solid job, is a likable guy, and takes direction from leadership. I suspect he understood that this was the plan (a bench coach who will be asked to help with lineup construction and defensive positioning based on input from the analytics department) when he was talking with Hart about whether his option would be picked up. He may not love it, but I don't think it's his personality to push back in any major way.
    The Braves obviously give tremendous value to the thing Snit does best... manage the clubhouse, ego's, and personalities. That's what the players value and why they seem to continually go to bat for him. We can criticize what we don't like, and probably make some good points, but he seems to do that very well. So, if they can get him some help in the game to game tactics, but keep his most valuable skill, then you have to at least recognize what they are doing... even if you don't agree.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-21-2017), nsacpi (10-21-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    The Braves obviously give tremendous value to the thing Snit does best... manage the clubhouse, ego's, and personalities. That's what the players value and why they seem to continually go to bat for him. We can criticize what we don't like, and probably make some good points, but he seems to do that very well. So, if they can get him some help in the game to game tactics, but keep his most valuable skill, then you have to at least recognize what they are doing... even if you don't agree.
    Managing ego's is what made people like Cox and Torre HOFers (besides having a **** ton of talent over the years). And Cox had Pat Corrales to always help with the positioning of the players and did a pretty good job of it IMO. If the Braves go with a similar situation here then I wouldn't be opposed to that.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-21-2017), Garmel (10-20-2017), mfree80 (10-20-2017), UNCBlue012 (10-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    In terms of tactical game management, the biggest part of the job is managing the pen. I think Snit is better than Fredi at this (not saying much I know). But still not that good. Some of our relievers last year did significantly better on rest than no rest. Snit was a bit inflexible in how he used the pen and didn't take seem to give the rest/no rest performance splits enough weight.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Managing egos and keeping guys happy is a horrible reason to keep a manager. The only reason FF and others go to bat for twit is because he is better than the last one he had. Do you think any other store in America goes to it employees and ask if they are cool with firing. Their boss because his performance was sub par. F-that. Do what is best for the club and the players will adapt.

I wouldn't put him even as a 1B coach. Jesus. Get a guy who knows how to steal over there to teach the guys how to be aggressive. If you Snit. Make a new position. Something like. Player ego special assistant.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Managing egos and keeping guys happy is a horrible reason to keep a manager.
    I think it is a huge part of the job. The biggest. And the way I would put it keeping guys motivated and playing hard when things are not going well. And I don't doubt the players play hard for Snit.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Lots to agree with on the Snitker posts. Only thing I've seen as an improvement from Fredi is the team plays hard more consistently. It was pretty clear Fredi had lost the team. He's slightly better than Fredi on bullpen management, but he makes a lot of unforced errors. One that stands out is in the last series against the Marlins, we've got the tying run in scoring position and he sends up Kemp to pinch hit. Marlins go to RHP and Snitker doesn't counter with Matt Adams. Of course, Kemp hits into a game-ending DP. Seems like a true brain f*rt on Snitker's part. In addition to someone with some appreciation for analytics, we may need to force Snitker to take a No-Doz in the late innings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think it is a huge part of the job. The biggest. And the way I would put it keeping guys motivated and playing hard when things are not going well. And I don't doubt the players play hard for Snit.
    I think it is a very big part. There is a limited amount of damage that a manager not being "optimal" can do but an unhappy clubhouse can massively underperform.

Ideally, you would be optimal and manage a good clubhouse.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I agree that this is the most important skill a manager brings to the table.

However, there is absolutely no excuse for any manager in the 21st century to make boneheaded moves that put the team in a sub optimal position. There are about 15 scenarios in any given game where a move matters, and at least 14 of them can be planned for in advance.

There is no excuse for a manager to ever make a move during a game that wasn't planned for in advance except maybe injury situations. There is no reason the FO can't help construct, and then demand, the manager adheres to these plans.

If the managers main job is to manage people, then there should be no issue with that same manager following a plan for the dozen scenarios that happen in any given game.

The Braves wanted a stats guy to help Snit, and then hire a guy who was fired for not being a stats guy. It is an inexcusably stupid move to make to satisfy the stated goal.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Why keep Hernandez when Mike Maddux, released by Nats, Righetti(17 years Giants PC), and Bosio(5 years Cubs PC) are all available.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Why keep Hernandez when Mike Maddux, released by Nats, Righetti(17 years Giants PC), and Bosio(5 years Cubs PC) are all available.
    Because a guy who never established he knew how to throw strikes but does know how to screw up a pitcher is the perfect fit for a team with a ton of pitching prospects.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Mets name callaway manager was clevelands pitching coach. Red Sox hire Cora
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Mets name callaway manager was clevelands pitching coach.
    A team heavily built around pitching hires the pitching coach of arguably the best pitching staff in the history of MLB to lead their team.

A perfectly logical move for a team to make. As a Braves fan, it's odd to see teams make logical moves.

Of course, the Mets biggest issue is they seem to have zero clue how to handle professional athletes from a medical standpoint, so until that's addressed they will always be terrible.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-23-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A team heavily built around pitching hires the pitching coach of arguably the best pitching staff in the history of MLB to lead their team.

A perfectly logical move for a team to make. As a Braves fan, it's odd to see teams make logical moves.
    Speaking of logical, it seems to me that McGuirk should be viewing this "scandal" as an opportunity to ease out the dinosaurs. He should identify two or three top young GMs working for teams that are the cutting edge of the information revolution in baseball and bring them in for interviews for Hart's job. Use the interview process as a free consultation session to find out what others in baseball are doing. And hire the one who makes the best impression.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Speaking of logical, it seems to me that McGuirk should be viewing this "scandal" as an opportunity to ease out the dinosaurs. He should identify two or three top young GMs working for teams that are the cutting edge of the information revolution in baseball and bring them in for interviews for Hart's job. Use the interview process as a free consultation session to find out what others in baseball are doing. And hire the one who makes the best impression.
    Instead, they are going to hire Weiss to be the stats-minded presence in the dugout after being fired from Colorado for not knowing about stats, and hire a GM who gets his player info from reading the box scores in the newspaper, and the backs of baseball cards.

Barves Way!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    we have a rare opportunity to get 2 top people from other front offices...one for president and one for GM...and use the interview process for the two jobs to get the best insights that the best minds in the game have to offer...think about that...imo this would potentially be more valuable than having a very high draft pick...wake up McGuirk to the opportunity you have!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-26-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm sure the Braves are deep in talks with LaRussa.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm sure the Braves are deep in talks with LaRussa.
    Dave Stewart or bust

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Girardi out as Yankees manager
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Good club-friendly extension of Chase Anderson by the Brewers.

"I am your retribution."