Page 22 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This market is absolutely brutal.

The only good thing about it is that when the ice eventually does break, AA should have a legitimate shot at scooping up a couple guys who honestly have a shot at improving the team in 2018 as everyone starts to scramble. The only guys from the Nunez, Kendrick, Maybin, Tony Watson, Dat Dude, Granderson, Jon Jay crowd that have been linked (at all, more or less) to ANYBODY are Watson and Kendrick - and the links with them have only been loose ones.

While adding any of those won't be earth-shattering adds by any means, they stand a good chance to make the Braves better as stopgaps - and if AA can land a couple of them the 2018 team will be a *elluva lot more interesting than the last couple of years.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This market is absolutely brutal.

The only good thing about it is that when the ice eventually does break, AA should have a legitimate shot at scooping up a couple guys who honestly have a shot at improving the team in 2018 as everyone starts to scramble. The only guys from the Nunez, Kendrick, Maybin, Tony Watson, Dat Dude, Granderson, Jon Jay crowd that have been linked (at all, more or less) to ANYBODY are Watson and Kendrick - and the links with them have only been loose ones.

While adding any of those won't be earth-shattering adds by any means, they stand a good chance to make the Braves better as stopgaps - and if AA can land a couple of them the 2018 team will be a *elluva lot more interesting than the last couple of years.
    At the beginning of the offseason I thought Watson could be a good pickup to allow us to sell high on Sam Freeman, but then I saw he was a Boras client.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Bruce back to the Mutts BTW.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Read the market
    5:34 What is your estimate of Cain's asking price vs a club valuation?

Jason Martinez
    5:35 My guess is that Cain wants 4 or 5 years at $18-20MM per season and teams are hoping it drops to 3 years and $15-17MM.

This is crazy. If Cain can really be had for 3/45 he starts to make sense as a value play for the Braves.

It certainly seems like there will be some discounted FA upgrades available...if the Braves have any money to sign them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-11-2018), Braves1976 (01-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Read the market
    5:34 What is your estimate of Cain's asking price vs a club valuation?

Jason Martinez
    5:35 My guess is that Cain wants 4 or 5 years at $18-20MM per season and teams are hoping it drops to 3 years and $15-17MM.

This is crazy. If Cain can really be had for 3/45 he starts to make sense as a value play for the Braves.

It certainly seems like there will be some discounted FA upgrades available...if the Braves have any money to sign them.
    Yea if Cain drops like that in cost I'd rather sign him than trade for Yelich. Then use those pieces in another trade. Cain-Inciarte-Acuna is a very impressive outfield too.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Yea if Cain drops like that in cost I'd rather sign him than trade for Yelich. Then use those pieces in another trade. Cain-Inciarte-Acuna is a very impressive outfield too.
    Bingo. Upgrade without giving up major prospects. Trade Nick and Julio to clear some of the money. That’s all I’m saying.

High School Draftee biggentleben's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think Preller has done a nice job overall in SD (especially on the amateur side), but he has consistently shown questionable decision making with regards to the major league roster (Kemp, Shields, Trae Turner and Ross for Myers).
    You do realize that they traded Shields for a guy who will be one of the top 10-20 prospects in the entire game (Tatis), right?
    Gus: You don't know anything about scouting.
    Johnny: Don't tell them that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Man, that is a really light return on Solarte. My opinion on him is probably irrationally high, but still. ~2 WAR player, but I think it's reasonable to value him with a bit of a premium on top of that. Strong defensive versatility and a switch hitter without a huge platoon split. TBH, also pretty captivated by his personal story of being a single father and how he's handled that. Great move by the Jays.
    I personally like the Padres return on Solarte in that I like the players they got back, but they still should have been able to net more. Immediately after he was dealt, there was the similar backlash that the Donaldson deal had - akin to "If I'd have known he was available, I'd have been that offer from my club!" The word is that most teams were told Headley, and not Solarte, was available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not a fan of Preller...at all.

Now we get to read stupid articles on FG like the most recent one from Meg Rowley about putting a penalty box in baseball, or the rambling nonsense from Kiley about scouts vs stats. Longenhagen is so slow putting out the prospect updates it smells of his attention being elsewhere.

I think we are seeing the end of the best days at FG.
    Fangraphs is expanding and hiring more writers at a time when the rest of the industry is either shrinking their writing staff or going to so many ads on each page that it's difficult to find any content. I'd hardly say that the best of Fangraphs is beyond us.

Meg also writes for Hardball Times, so the majority of her work will be there, not on the primary Fangraphs pages.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Fangraphs is expanding and hiring more writers at a time when the rest of the industry is either shrinking their writing staff or going to so many ads on each page that it's difficult to find any content. I'd hardly say that the best of Fangraphs is beyond us.

Meg also writes for Hardball Times, so the majority of her work will be there, not on the primary Fangraphs pages.
    Dave Cameron just left to join the Padres.

They may be hiring more writers but their best ones are leaving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Jay Bruce gets a 3 year deal with an AAV of 13M. Priced essentially at about a 1.5 WAR per year player during the contract. Seems about right to me.

I think Todd Frazier is a slightly better player. Same age. So he should do a little better. Around 15M AAV. Probably 3 years too.

Lorenzo Cain is better than Bruce and Frazier and should top what they get.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Jay Bruce gets a 3 year deal with an AAV of 13M. Priced essentially at about a 1.5 WAR per year player during the contract. Seems about right to me.

I think Todd Frazier is a slightly better player. Same age. So he should do a little better. Around 15M AAV. Probably 3 years too.

Kinda feel like Cain would be a good value to someone at this point.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

From who though???

Yankees won't go that far, AA's not likely to, Cardinals would probably prefer Moustakas' left-hand bat, not the Giants, just can't see it whether those numbers are "right" or not.

Maybe the Mutts, but do they have that kind of money left after signing Bruce?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    From who though???

Yankees won't go that far, AA's not likely to, Cardinals would probably prefer Moustakas' left-hand bat, not the Giants, just can't see it whether those numbers are "right" or not.

Maybe the Mutts, but do they have that kind of money left after signing Bruce?
    He will find a team. KC is in the market for a 3rd baseman.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Bill James Online‏
    @billjamesonline
    Following Following @billjamesonline
    More
    Center Fielders who have to get into Hall of Fame before Andruw Jones is considered: Jim Edmonds, Bernie Williams, Fred Lynn, Wally Berger, Kenny Lofton, Jimmy Wynn, Cesar Cedeno, Johnny Damon, George Gore, Mike Donlin, Carlos Beltran, Andrew McCutchen, Paul Hines, Brett Butler++

what kind of meth is this dude doing? this is one of the worst takes i've ever seen.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    He will find a team. KC is in the market for a 3rd baseman.
    They certainly can't afford that if they bring Hosmer back. They'd also prefer to bring Moustakas back if they were going to spend that kind of dough IMO.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Bill James Online‏
    @billjamesonline
    More
    Center Fielders who have to get into Hall of Fame before Andruw Jones is considered: Jim Edmonds, Bernie Williams, Fred Lynn, Wally Berger, Kenny Lofton, Jimmy Wynn, Cesar Cedeno, Johnny Damon, George Gore, Mike Donlin, Carlos Beltran, Andrew McCutchen, Paul Hines, Brett Butler++

what kind of meth is this dude doing? this is one of the worst takes i've ever seen.
    Besides the obvious of some players not being as good as Andruw. Why do two active players have to be inducted before a current retired player should be considered?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-11-2018), jpx7 (01-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post

If you think more writers equals better content that's your opinion.

To me it says they are trying to broaden their base of readers, which means we get more drivel like the garbage posted by Meg and Kiley.

Many may like it, but the reason I considered FG the best baseball analytics site on the internet is probably on the decline now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Besides the obvious of some players not being as good as Andruw. Why do two active players have to be inducted before a current retired player should be considered?
    true
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Bill James Online‏
    @billjamesonline
    More

Bill James invented baseball analytics...and then failed to learn anything more with the rest of us.