Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2323

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    for trout? easy yes from me.
    I don't know if I'd say "easy," but it's really hard to say no if an extension was involved. I'd likely want to replace one of Anderson and Wright with a solid but lesser prospect.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    for trout? easy yes from me.
    And if he leaves in 2 years and our farm is depleted? No.

IF we got a window to sign him like the Bears did with Mack, then yeah sure. But i'm not offering that with no guarantee he signs. But i'd probably want to replace Anderson or Wright with a much lesser P prospect like Muller or Wentz.

Newk replaced by Soroka, Riley by Camargo, Ender with Trout. But i doubt it happens honestly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    the angels wouldn't even take that for trout.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    the angels wouldn't even take that for trout.
    I know they have a choice and it'd look horrible trading maybe the best player ever but my goodness that team is insanely mediocre. At some point, the hard decisions need to be made and a rebuild started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

IF we got a window to sign him like the Bears did with Mack, then yeah sure. But i'm not offering that with no guarantee he signs. But i'd probably want to replace Anderson or Wright with a much lesser P prospect like Muller or Wentz.

Newk replaced by Soroka, Riley by Camargo, Ender with Trout. But i doubt it happens honestly.
    Heck no... Camargo is turning into a star... Riley has the profile that could easily fail.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Heck no... Camargo is turning into a star... Riley has the profile that could easily fail.
    yeah, no way i keep riley over camargo in this (insane) hypothetical.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I know they have a choice and it'd look horrible trading maybe the best player ever but my goodness that team is insanely mediocre. At some point, the hard decisions need to be made and a rebuild started.
    it can't be fun to have the best player in baseball but have no real path to future success. trading him sucks, failing over and over while he's on your team sucks. they don't have a great outlook the next 2-4 years. rough.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (09-10-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I meant Riley replaced by Camargo, i wouldnt move him. I do wonder what happens with Riley with the emergence of Camargo IF this isnt a fluke.

If Camargo gets everyday AB's, where is Riley playing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Left field.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Left field.
    I doubt it, i think he's trade bait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I doubt it, i think he's trade bait.
    I don't think there are enough high level bats in the system to trade the one that is most advanced, but it's certainly possible. If they really believe in Riley's bat they could also shuffle Ozzie to SS and Camargo to 2B and trade Dansby. That seems less likely given the emphasis on defense.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I meant Riley replaced by Camargo, i wouldnt move him. I do wonder what happens with Riley with the emergence of Camargo IF this isnt a fluke.

there's no rush with riley. he did not prove he was ready for the MLB this season. the org has time to figure this out. riley starts next season in the minors. there will likely be ABs, via injury or poor performance eventually. first and foremost, riley has to prove he's ready. he hasn't. until he forces the issue, you happily role camargo out there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (09-10-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Why trade for Trout when Harper would only cost you money?

Trout is the best player in the game hands down BUT you could get one of the ten best without giving up any talent at a similar AAV.

I don't see it.

Now, if Liberty would start acting like Atlanta is a large market (which it is - 2017 Census estimate had Atlanta MSA as 9th biggest in US, just behind Philly, Miami and DC and that doesn't include other nearby MSA with no ML team that is predominately Braves territory like Charlotte (#22), Nashville (#36), Raleigh (#43), Birmingham (#49), Greenville (#61), Knoxville (#64), Charleston (#74), Greensboro (#75) etc. and that assumes no market in Florida) and loosening the payroll, then sign Harper AND trade for Trout but yo have to be ready to spend on FA pitching as well which means that you're pretty quickly at a $175-$200M payroll.

But that's not going to happen.

IF the Angels decide to trade Trout (and they really should) they should be looking for high end young talent with little to no ML service time. From the Braves probably six guys from this list (Albies, Swanson, Camargo, Riley, Pache, Touki, Wright, Wilson, Newk, Soroka, Anderson, Gohara, Waters, Contreras, etc.) Let's say: Trout and Simmons for Albies, Swanson, Riley, Pache, Touki, Wright and Anderson

That would sting no doubt and put the Braves on an absolute win-now path. And it would be a huge chance to take.

Your 2019 rotation remains: Folty, Newk, Gausman, Teheran with the 5th spot being a veteran or one of Soroka, Gohara or Wilson
    The pen is unaffected for 2019.

You trade Inciarte for best available to lose his salary and pick up some long term talent.

LF - Acuna
    2B - Culberson
    CF - Trout
    1B - Freeman
    3B - Camargo (if Liberty is serious about money then maybe you go Donaldson on a short contract)
    RF - ? (again, if Liberty miraculously becomes run by the ghost of George Steinbrenner then maybe you make a play for Harper with opt-outs, if not then you're looking at Duvall)
    SS - Simmons
    C - Flowers & Suzuki again

It could be done (not likely the Harper part) and stay within the realm of realistic payroll for 2019. And, you wouldn't necessarily lose all your future. There would be a significant chance that you would be giving up at least one long term star in the deal, if not multiple long term stars.

I wouldn't do it. But, I've long pushed for patience and forecasting the window for 2020 and beyond. The Braves are competitive today, the window is open now regardless of whether now is the best time or not. So, I could see those who are more short term vision saying go for it...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I don't know if I'd say "easy," but it's really hard to say no if an extension was involved. I'd likely want to replace one of Anderson and Wright with a solid but lesser prospect.
    Why are folks still saying things like this, as if the right to pay a player a market rate contract is valuable?

A Trout extension is going to be the largest contract in the history of the game, and will hold very little surplus value. The Braves couldn't even afford a Trout extension if they had some window to negotiate one. The Angels can't afford to extend Trout, so how in the world could the Braves?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Why are folks still saying things like this, as if the right to pay a player a market rate contract is valuable?

A Trout extension is going to be the largest contract in the history of the game, and will hold very little surplus value. The Braves couldn't even afford a Trout extension if they had some window to negotiate one. The Angels can't afford to extend Trout, so how in the world could the Braves?
    He will easily take a discount to play next to the other trout. Seriously man. Is it that hard
    Coppy

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (09-10-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

People it'sa message board and in the end, it's all fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

Gotcha... I misunderstood

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

because its an internet message board, and that's what an internet message board is for. To discuss things, realistic or not.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I'm fascinated to see what the yearly salaries of Machado and Harper work out to be.

Trout's the highest paid position player this year, I think, at 33.25 million. Stanton maxes out at 32 million a few more years down the road.

We've seen a lot of talk about getting close to 40 million per on Machado or Harper, but seems to me like that's a good bit too high.

Probably won't set Trout's market, but will be an indication.

If for some reason (and I don't know why) you could buy only a couple more years of Trout so you were getting him at 35 for next four years you'd still be getting value.

Maybe he just isn't interested in breaking the bank, maybe he doesn't want to cripple his team's payroll flex, I don't know. Pretty unlikely. He's almost certainly going to want to get that long term security sort of deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

Why would you replace Newk with Soroka? I'm a big Newk fan, but Soroka is likely to be as good, if not better, and has 2 more years of control.