Page 42 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    JD to Boston, 5/110, opt out after 2 years.

Not that bad of a deal.
    Sounds like he will make $50m in the first 2 seasons before his opt out, but also has a SECOND opt out as well
    Get off my lawn!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Jarrod Dyson goes for 2 years/$7M.

That's a 2-3 WAR player going for nothing... Nobody taking Markakis

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Sounds like he will make $50m in the first 2 seasons before his opt out, but also has a SECOND opt out as well
    Looks to broken down as 25/25/22/19/19 with opt outs after years 2 and 3.

Yet another team trying to front load a contract to encourage the player to opt out and mitigate their risk. It will be interesting to see how this tactic works out for teams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Makes you wonder if Maybin will be cheap enough to be the Braves 4th OFer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Makes you wonder if Maybin will be cheap enough to be the Braves 4th OFer.
    I’d love to bring Maybin back
    Get off my lawn!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-19-2018), TomahawkCult (02-19-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts

That shipped sailed after his first season here. That was likely the only time we had any chance to move him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Are position players being devalued? Anyone have the updates on $ per WAR this season hitter vs pitcher?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts

It's looking more likely than I thought that Corey Dickerson will pass through waivers unclaimed and become a FA at this rate. BAL will probably end up with Cargo, Jay, or Dickerson (most likely one of the first two). Maybe we'll be in the mix for the remaining 2 or Maybin.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Are position players being devalued? Anyone have the updates on $ per WAR this season hitter vs pitcher?
    Hard to say but at first glance it looks that way. Veterans as a whole have been devalued this offseason which is a true first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Hard to say but at first glance it looks that way. Veterans as a whole have been devalued this offseason which is a true first.
    Do you think the older player being devalued is based on the defensive aging curve primarily?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Do you think the older player being devalued is based on the defensive aging curve primarily?
    I believe that is part of it among a lot of other things. Teams are finally realizing that older players can crap the bed at anytime. You are also seeing, which has been suggested around here, teams incentive players to opt out after a few years. Front load the contract to when players are likely to still be valuable and give them a way out if they are still producing and want more money. If they start to decline then you aren't overpaying for production which makes them easier to move if necessary.

But the truth is that players are most valuable before they are 30 and teams have all realized this as a collective group it seems. There will always the the exceptions. The all-stars of the world will still get their money and deals but the average players are going to see less money coming their way. If that contiues for a few more years the MLBPA will almost certainly aim for a salary floor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Martinez and Darvish both went for about $8M per expected win...havent done the numbers on Hosmer
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I believe that is part of it among a lot of other things. Teams are finally realizing that older players can crap the bed at anytime. You are also seeing, which has been suggested around here, teams incentive players to opt out after a few years. Front load the contract to when players are likely to still be valuable and give them a way out if they are still producing and want more money. If they start to decline then you aren't overpaying for production which makes them easier to move if necessary.

But the truth is that players are most valuable before they are 30 and teams have all realized this as a collective group it seems. There will always the the exceptions. The all-stars of the world will still get their money and deals but the average players are going to see less money coming their way. If that contiues for a few more years the MLBPA will almost certainly aim for a salary floor.
    I think that's the big development this offseason...trying to contour contracts to match the aging curve..
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Which is exactly what both intrigues me and scares the *hit out of me about Donaldson if AA chooses to play (and he's out there) next winter. If his reps and the Jays are as far apart as it looks like right now, it's more than a little worrisome that we could join the teams making the mistake of putting the franchise's future in the player's hands by way of opt-outs to win the bidding.

I'd love to have Donaldson as much as the next guy, but for all the numbers you guys can toss around I wouldn't want Heyward's contract on the Braves' books for anything. Teams have learned a bit by looking at it and are front-loading those deals as much as possible this winter, but I don't want ANY player dictating how much of my budget is spent on him when he's no longer performing. Hosmer's deal gets "better" for the Padres after the first 5 years, but if he drops off a cliff they STILL owe him $13 million per. Does anyone honestly believe he's going to walk away from that? If he sucks, he's going to keep taking your money - if he doesn't, he's going to walk away and leave them with a huge hole.

Whether we all put the same weight on the defensive side of the ball or the metrics, we all seem to at least agree that defense and speed will decline much quicker than a players' bat - you guys keep screaming about how quickly you expect Inciarte to decline soon (and no one really fusses that you're crazy). Given that, does anyone think there's a chance in *ell Heyward chooses to walk away from the rest of the money the Cubs owe him after this season??? If you do, I've got some oceanfront property to sell you in Indiana.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think elite position players are as valuable as ever. It's the marginal guys who have lost their value. Teams aren't willing to take the risk of guaranteed contracts for a 3 win guy when they expect to get 1.5 or 2 wins out of a pre FA player. I think there will be some crazy contracts handed out next offseason for a handful of players, and crumbs for everyone else.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I've always thought that opt-outs were good for the teams.

Most long term contracts don't go sour until 3-4 years into it... If you have a player who is crushing it, you're getting good value out of them, and then they leave and you're not stuck with a declining asset. If they stay, you're in the exact same spot you would have been without the opt out.

Yes, there is a chance you get a player who opts out and he continues being a beast for the life of the contract... but at least in this scenario you don't get burned like we are seeing so commonly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think elite position players are as valuable as ever. It's the marginal guys who have lost their value. Teams aren't willing to take the risk of guaranteed contracts for a 3 win guy when they expect to get 1.5 or 2 wins out of a pre FA player. I think there will be some crazy contracts handed out next offseason for a handful of players, and crumbs for everyone else.
    crumbs....nice
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    I think you guys are giving way too much credit to the front office guys around the league. This offseason has really just been a perfect storm to cause this market. Several of the large market teams are pushing up against the luxury tax, and other large market teams (Giants, Angels, Cubs) have already made their moves. The other large market teams at some point realized the depressed market and wisely waited it out.

My make no mistake, bad contracts to aging veterans isn't going the way of the dinosaur. And that's because the shelf life of GMs doesn't tend to be very long. Either it's a new GM wanting to make a name for himself and create buzz, or its a GM one the hot seat who makes a desperation move to try and win now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I've always thought that opt-outs were good for the teams.

Most long term contracts don't go sour until 3-4 years into it... If you have a player who is crushing it, you're getting good value out of them, and then they leave and you're not stuck with a declining asset. If they stay, you're in the exact same spot you would have been without the opt out.

Yes, there is a chance you get a player who opts out and he continues being a beast for the life of the contract... but at least in this scenario you don't get burned like we are seeing so commonly
    Opt outs are a negative value for teams, and a positive value for players. Period.

What we are seeing now is teams trying to make the opt out a little more team friendly, but they are still decidedly a boon for the player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Opt outs are a negative value for teams, and a positive value for players. Period.

What we are seeing now is teams trying to make the opt out a little more team friendly, but they are still decidedly a boon for the player.
    I agree they help the player more than the team.

But I think they are more valuable to the team than a standard 7 year contract