Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2323

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I don't think I could bear watching Happ strikeout twice each game, and Reddick looks like a significant downgrade. I would gladly pay your price (not Touki) for the others.

Are there any potential targets out there who are likely to be displaced by one of the big FA signings?
    Pederson if the Dodgers sign Harper. I'd be interested in him. Price tag might be a little less than some of the others on the list, in part because he would need a platoon partner.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-04-2018), jpx7 (10-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Interesting that the Brewers are using an Opener today with Woodruff. Might even be a bullpen game for them. Man the game has really evolved.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Interesting that the Brewers are using an Opener today with Woodruff. Might even be a bullpen game for them. Man the game has really evolved.
    I think Freddy Peralta is going to get the most outs for them, as long as he's effective. It makes a lot of sense because so much of their great bullpen are former starters or are guys that are viewed as future stud starters (Corbin Burnes).
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-04-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    There is not and has not been a particularly sound argument to bring Markakis back, even if he continued his first half onslaught. We have plenty of resources to upgrade at his position, and it’s our most obvious hole. We at least have controllable upside everywhere except catcher and 1 corner OF, and at least C we have Flowers as a really solid back up.

We need to find at least a semi stud through FA or trade to replace Markakis.
    This is the reason I'm not particularly high on trading for Pederson. Sure, he'd be an upgrade - but trading for him requires you to roster 2 players since he absolutely has to have a platoon partner. We have the money to spend to go get a corner guy that can play regardless of who the opposing Pitcher is, so use it. I still can't imagine AA getting into the Harper sweepstakes, but if he's going to burn prospects to get somebody, at least get somebody who can play every day. If you don't want to spend the money on the marginal older guys (Brantley, McCutchen, Jones), that's fine - burn a couple prospects (not named Riley or Pache) to go get Alex Castellanos and try to extend him after you get him.

I forget who originally mentioned it, but will admit I'm warming to the idea of moving Camargo to the grass. If he can track balls well enough to be an average guy out there, you've suddenly got a really strong defensive OF given how much ground Acuna and Ender can cover and the three cannons they'd have out there. Johan should cover more ground than Markakis, so you'd be upgrading on both sides of the ball as well as clearing the way to get Riley's bat in there. If they decided to go that way, I'd have to talk to Miami for a long time about Realmuto this winter - if you could get him for anything resembling a reasonable price, I'd probably do it at that point. A lineup consisting of Acuna, Ender/Albies, Freeman, Realmuto, Camargo, Riley, Albies/Ender, and Dansby makes my mouth water. Bring Duda back, and your bench becomes Flowers, Duda, Culberson, and Duvall - not too shabby.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-04-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ph...pects-updated/

not to beat a dead horse (to be fair it was only me beating it) but the phillies system just does not look very good. it was getting a ton of hype a year ago, tho that was largely due in part to kingery and crawford. it seems every single player, maybe save for Sixto (who had elbow issues this year) took a pretty large step back. the guys in the majors as well. there's a severe lack of talent and depth there, IMO.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-09-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Pederson if the Dodgers sign Harper. I'd be interested in him. Price tag might be a little less than some of the others on the list, in part because he would need a platoon partner.
    I didn't love the platoon idea for adding pop to the lineup, but I think I have changed my mind after seeing how well the Dodgers used it against us
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-09-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Kris Bryant apparently turned down a 200 million contract offer from the Cubs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Kris Bryant apparently turned down a 200 million contract offer from the Cubs.
    He got pissed the way they kept him down to start his rookie season. I can see him waiting and going to free agency.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Nationals have acquired Kyle Barraclaugh from the Marlins for International spending money...sounds like the Marlins are going all in on Victor Victor Mesa
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Gnats land Barraclough for slot money...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...rraclough.html

There's a deal I wish AA had made.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Nationals have acquired Kyle Barraclaugh from the Marlins for International spending money...sounds like the Marlins are going all in on Victor Victor Mesa
    Great mvoe by the Nats.

This may show the marlins are ok with trading within the division. I think not trading within your division is becoming outdated

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    them and the O's.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    The Marlins have officially signed both of the Mesa brothers. News conference scheduled for Monday at 11am...it is believed that the older brother, Victor Victor Mesa, will require a little minor league seasoning before making the big leagues. They think he can hit at the top of the line up, provide speed, and plays plus outfield defense....His younger brother will definitely spend a while in the minors, being only 17 years old.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    wonder if the Orioles have a plan B for their slot money

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Mets have agreed to a deal with Brodie Van Wagenen to become their next GM...they are hashing out the language of the deal but the terms are agreed upon, expected to be introduced Monday on the World Series off day...one would expect there to be some ramifications because he is the agent for deGrom, Syndergaard, Cespedes, and Vargas....
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Mets have agreed to a deal with Brodie Van Wagenen to become their next GM...they are hashing out the language of the deal but the terms are agreed upon, expected to be introduced Monday on the World Series off day...one would expect there to be some ramifications because he is the agent for deGrom, Syndergaard, Cespedes, and Vargas....
    How often does an agent become a GM? Seems odd to me...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    How often does an agent become a GM? Seems odd to me...
    honestly I can't remember the last time that happened....i would imagine he has to give up his rights to all of his clients

also, I bet this means that deGrom and Syndergaard are staying in NY this offseason
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    lucky for us they didnt hire Chaim Bloom, the other finalist

"I am your retribution."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-29-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    honestly I can't remember the last time that happened....i would imagine he has to give up his rights to all of his clients

also, I bet this means that deGrom and Syndergaard are staying in NY this offseason
    Biggest problem there is that makes a quick rebuild next to impossible - they have no way to land elite-level prospects if they don't trade those guys soon. Who's giving them anything of value for anyone else on their roster?

Probably chose him because they THINK doing so makes extending them easier. Maybe a little, but they'll still require monster deals if they stay.

Should've hired Bloom since he wouldn't likely have taken trading either or both nearly as personally.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Dave Stewart, I think. This just might work out okay for us.