Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If KC does the smart thing and doesn’t sign Mous, they will have 5 of the first 40 picks in the draft. Nailing 3-4 of those picks could really accelerate their upcoming rebuild.
    Bringing back Moose on a 3/50ish deal wouldnt be bad but you're right, they should just rebuild since Cain and Hosmer left. They wont be contending anytime soon.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Bringing back Moose on a 3/50ish deal wouldnt be bad but you're right, they should just rebuild since Cain and Hosmer left. They wont be contending anytime soon.
    I hope this offseason wakes up a few people that wanted Dayton Moore.

KC having to rebuild was obvious to anyone paying attention yet Moore held all his chips instead of cashing in when he could...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Signing Moustakas would be so unbelievably stupid for the Royals in my view. I genuinely don't understand sinking assets into a player that will do nothing but hurt your rebuild. You sink money into him. You don't get the draft pick attached to him. You run the risk of actually being marginally better because of him possibly costing you higher draft picks and the associated slot money. Its just soooooo bad for a team that is obviously wayyyyy outside their competitive window. I can't think of a single argument that would justify bringing him in. At least from a teambuilding standpoint. I guess if you want to go with the "they have to sell tickets" argument. But Moose isn't exactly the type of player that is an immediate draw to the ballpark. With or without Moose, you are going to struggle to sell tickets to see a team that is likely going to be the worst in baseball this year.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If KC does the smart thing and doesn’t sign Mous, they will have 5 of the first 40 picks in the draft. Nailing 3-4 of those picks could really accelerate their upcoming rebuild.
    Who is going to sign him? Will he have to take the qo?

I’m out on the Braves as an option with his obp, injury history and loss of pick.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Signing Moustakas would be so unbelievably stupid for the Royals in my view. I genuinely don't understand sinking assets into a player that will do nothing but hurt your rebuild. You sink money into him. You don't get the draft pick attached to him. You run the risk of actually being marginally better because of him possibly costing you higher draft picks and the associated slot money. Its just soooooo bad for a team that is obviously wayyyyy outside their competitive window. I can't think of a single argument that would justify bringing him in. At least from a teambuilding standpoint. I guess if you want to go with the "they have to sell tickets" argument. But Moose isn't exactly the type of player that is an immediate draw to the ballpark. With or without Moose, you are going to struggle to sell tickets to see a team that is likely going to be the worst in baseball this year.
    The draft pick compensation ONLY comes if yhe player you lose signs for more than $50 million elsewhere. While it certainly doesn't make sense to bring back a player that's "in demand" elsewhere, exactly which teams are lining up to sign Moustakas to a long-term deal at this point? The Mutts signed Frazier, the Angels signed Cozart, the Indians are moving Ramirez back to 3B and playing Kipnis at 2B, the Giants traded for Longoria, the Padres traded for Headley (and blew all their money on Hosmer), etc..

The Braves and Yankees would love to have him on a short-term deal, but don't seem to be interested otherwise. There's always a chance someone grabs him when no one expects it, sure, but it's awfully hard to find that team that's going to go more than 3 years or spend more than $50 million right now. Unless he suddenly finds that team, the Royals aren't getting that pick anyway.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-18-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Who is going to sign him? Will he have to take the qo?

I’m out on the Braves as an option with his obp, injury history and loss of pick.
    He already turned down the Qualifying Offer to become a free-agent. That's not an option for him now.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Padres are dumb as hell
    While there is a lot of risk due to length of contract, the AAV is reasonable and the contract is contoured in a way that reflects his expected production on a year-to-year basis. It does set San Diego up in a position to trade a corner outfielder at some point.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

KC having to rebuild was obvious to anyone paying attention yet Moore held all his chips instead of cashing in when he could...
    He will have those 3 draft picks. There is something to be said for going that route.

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Surely you don't believe that choice was made by the GM rather than by ownership.

When all the wannabe GMs on this message board would've chosen to sell-off and rebuild regardless of backlash from the fans, it's comical to believe that people who are actually charged with making those decisions for a living unless overruled don't see things as easily.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    He will have those 3 draft picks. There is something to be said for going that route.
    This was unconventional but having a ton of picks in a loaded draft may be a smart move. And he still has some talent he could trade.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I wanted the Cubs guy cant think of his name right now, wasnt sure if AA was realistic but im thrilled the Braves got him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This was unconventional but having a ton of picks in a loaded draft may be a smart move. And he still has some talent he could trade.
    There are some smart teams who are willing to go that route. The Cardinals did it with Pujols and Heyward. We did rather well with the draft pick associated with Santana hitting free agency.

"I am your retribution."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    If you have to sign for 50+ mil to get a pick, where is Moose going?

Giants- Longo
    Angels- Cozart
    Mets- Frazier
    Padres- Dont have money anyone with Hosmer

Only teams maybe are Braves, Yankees. And Yankees are rumored to get Machado next winter. Braves could maybe do it for a year but Moose could just as easily sign a 1 yr deal and hit the market next winter. Options are limited for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If you have to sign for 50+ mil to get a pick, where is Moose going?

Giants- Longo
    Angels- Cozart
    Mets- Frazier
    Padres- Dont have money anyone with Hosmer

Only teams maybe are Braves, Yankees. And Yankees are rumored to get Machado next winter. Braves could maybe do it for a year but Moose could just as easily sign a 1 yr deal and hit the market next winter. Options are limited for him.
    I think the Phillies are a dark horse for Moose. Maikel Franco has two plus full seasons under his belt, has yet to put up a WAR better than 1.5, and seems to be regressing. Time is coming to cut bait on him. Imagine Swanson stinks it up this year. Do you think we would be going into 2019 with him as our starting shortstop? That is where the Phillies find themselves with respect to Franco.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Machado has said he only wants to play SS from here on so that may make it easier for Moose to find a suitor next year for 3b.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Nunez is going to make $4M in 2018 and has a player option for another $4M in 2019. He can make $1M more from incentives.

The Braves couldn’t beat that offer for a stopgap 3B that can also slide into the corner OF if needed.

I’m not sure they can afford someone like Dickerson or Maybin if they couldn’t afford Nunez.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Nunez is going to make $4M in 2018 and has a player option for another $4M in 2019. He can make $1M more from incentives.

The Braves couldn’t beat that offer for a stopgap 3B that can also slide into the corner OF if needed.

I’m not sure they can afford someone like Dickerson or Maybin if they couldn’t afford Nunez.
    I’m sure money is tight, but it could also be that they just wanted to save the little resources they have for someone they like better than Nunez.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The draft pick compensation ONLY comes if yhe player you lose signs for more than $50 million elsewhere.
    They get a pick regardless of how much Mous earns in his next contract.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I’m sure money is tight, but it could also be that they just wanted to save the little resources they have for someone they like better than Nunez.
    Guess we will see in the next couple weeks.

I have a hard time seeing how anyone available fits their stated needs any better than Nunez at 2/8

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-18-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Guess we will see in the next couple weeks.

I have a hard time seeing how anyone available fits their stated needs any better than Nunez at 2/8
    As you mentioned at a certain price Moose is a good deal. With the lack of other suitors I’d be good waiting out that potential deal at the expense of “missing out” on Nunez.