Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2323

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Atlanta only has 10 more road games left this year against non NL-East teams. They have racked up wins against the NL East, so this could bode well if they continue their success against their in-division rivals.

The 10 Road Games:
    3 @ PIT
    4 @ ARI
    3 @ SF
    Is true but we play 7 of the last 10 games of the regular season against Philadelphia so this is going down to the wire. Even if we are out we still have a chance to catch the Phillies or they catch us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    2012 32 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $12,000,000 11.000 contracts
    2013 33 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $16,000,000 12.000 contracts
    2014 34 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $23,000,000 13.000 contracts
    2015 35 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $24,000,000 14.000 contracts
    2016 36 Los Angeles Angels $25,000,000 15.000
    2017 37 Los Angeles Angels $26,000,000 16.000 contracts
    2018 38 Los Angeles Angels $27,000,000 17.000

2019 39 Los Angeles Angels $28,000,000
    2020 40 Los Angeles Angels $29,000,000
    2021 41 Los Angeles Angels $30,000,000

10-year, $10M personal-services contract begins once player contract expires

This according to Baseball Reference is Albert Pujols contract.

I remember knowing this was an awful contract when it was signed. In 2017, Pujols had a -1.4 WAR season. He's roughly on track for a similar offensive profile this year.

My question is how does a team convince themselves to do this? The Angels finished 10 games out the year before acquiring him. They finished five games out and third in their division the year after.

My assumption is that they backloaded this deal because of payroll concerns. No one seems to love to frontload as far better I guess in the short term to get all the benefit with none of the cost and you'll think about the bill later.

But for a team considering this kind of acquisition, how can you not backload it. I think I would never sign such a player unless I was in a position to backload.

If you reversed this deal and the Angels were paying him 23m, 16m, and 12m over the next three years, that would still be real bad, but so much better. Now you've got this huge money suck that you could be using to build a better team around Mike Trout.

I know the reason front offices might like backloading, but I guess my question is whether player disfavor front loading also. Do they dislike making less money each season? The time value of money suggests you should want your money as soon as possible.
    Remember this when Freeman's deal is coming to a close and folks blabber on about Freddie being "more athletic than typical guys playing 1B and is likely to age well", just like folks said about Pujols at the time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Remember this when Freeman's deal is coming to a close and folks blabber on about Freddie being "more athletic than typical guys playing 1B and is likely to age well", just like folks said about Pujols at the time.

Freddie's first uncontrolled season is his age 32 season. I am ok theoretically paying him something fair through his mid 30s. Frontloaded to projected performance would be ok as well.

FA doesn't tend to deliver fair, but maybe it's coming back to earth because of deals like Pujols and better thinking.

But if someone wants to guarantee him superstar money though Age 41, that better not be Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    It's starting to look like the Brewers are emerging as a favorite to land Machado:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...s-orioles.html

They have a lot of MLB-ready players that are blocked by the newly acquired Cain/Yelich OF, and those players could be just what the Os are mistakenly looking for in their misguided attempt to rebuild on the fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    It's starting to look like the Brewers are emerging as a favorite to land Machado:

They have a lot of MLB-ready players that are blocked by the newly acquired Cain/Yelich OF, and those players could be just what the Os are mistakenly looking for in their misguided attempt to rebuild on the fly.
    Assuming Aguilar doesn't turn into a pumpkin, this move would pretty much punch their playoff ticket imo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Assuming Aguilar doesn't turn into a pumpkin, this move would pretty much punch their playoff ticket imo
    I wonder if they will also try to shore up their starting pitching.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I wonder if they will also try to shore up their starting pitching.
    Hamels or Harvey? Seriously doubt they have the prospects for a degrom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Their starting pitching has benefited from luck (in the form of BABIP and HR/FB rates) that make it appear to be better than it is. I assume their FO is smart enough to know regression is likely.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Hiura (FG Top 25) could easily headline a package for DeGrom (though he is a low-end headliner), and Burnes is also a very solid piece.

The Brewers also have a lot of MLB-ready guys like Broxton and Phillips that could interest a team trying to rebuild on the fly.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see DeGrom end up with the Brewers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts

Phillips is actually a decent haul for a half year rental in a buyers market. Will be interesting to see if anyone tops that or what else Milwaukee might include.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    If Baltimore somehow land Brett Phillips and another good prospect, that's wild, although because of the mess they're in they're in deep poop even if they get those near major league ready and major league ready prospects.

(I thought of adding Hiura, but would they be smart enough to have him untouchable? I think so)
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I've never quite understood why folks are enamored with Brett Phillips. High K-rate without commensurate power payoff his last three seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Back in first!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Agreed. They have a great lineup and a terrific bullpen. The starting pitching is pretty meh but they can improve on it.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Machado to the Yankees gaining steam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    So Buster Posey will be out of the all star game is there any chance Suzuki take over?

I can’t find the final voting results.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Freddie's first uncontrolled season is his age 32 season. I am ok theoretically paying him something fair through his mid 30s. Frontloaded to projected performance would be ok as well.

FA doesn't tend to deliver fair, but maybe it's coming back to earth because of deals like Pujols and better thinking.

But if someone wants to guarantee him superstar money though Age 41, that better not be Atlanta.

They won't because they can't - and it won't matter whether the front office is "smarter" or not. If they didn't do it for Chipper, they'll likely never do that for anyone on the backside of their careers.

Pretty sure they'll offer him something "fair" to finish out his career as a Brave much like Chipper though. Something like 3/$45-$60 million for his age 32-34 seasons. That kind of range is probably safe enough that it doesn't kill you even if he doesn't quite live up to the contract completely, but is enough money (considering he'll have already banked $135 million) to make him look like the money-hungry guy who HAD TO have market value that was willing to leave over a few million dollars if he turns it down. they could then go year-to year after that if he was still productive and didn't want to hang 'em up.

That way they could feel like they could always look the fans in the eye and say "we did everything we could - he just didn't love you as much as you loved him".

Remember - it was Glavine who left for New York over $1 million per. Sure he got one more guaranteed him one more year, but it wasn't like the Braves wouldn't have eventually bowed to fan pressure and tacked on that extra year if he'd have stayed and his left arm didn't fall off during the first two years. There are still a lot of fans who have never gotten over that or forgiven him for leaving.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    So Buster Posey will be out of the all star game is there any chance Suzuki take over?

I can’t find the final voting results.
    Final results won't matter - Posey was voted onto the team by the players.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Final results won't matter - Posey was voted onto the team by the players.
    There’s a chance National league have 2 catchers only?

I read all ready Molina may have the chance to make the team. That’s really not fair.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I want Beltre anyway