Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Camp ends! Finals moves TBA for Opening Day.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Dropped all those pitchers, added Flaherty and Bourjos. Note that Flaherty hit .351 with Phillies this spring. Spent entire MLB career with Orioles, however. Bet Markakis has a good take on him.

Bourjos was a regular for one season with the Angels. That year, he stole 22 bases and led AL in triples (11). But he was 24 then, and turns 31 next weekend.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-26-2018)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    DOB reports that Ruiz has been sent to AAA, along with Carrera, Santana and some others.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I’m not going to get too worked up over this, because it doesn’t matter too much, but I’d definitely prefer giving Ruiz a couple weeks at third in Camargo’s absence to a Flaherty/Culberson platoon, which is really pretty depressing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Biggest thing I'm hoping to see today is that we find a better bullpen arm than Shane Carle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I’m not going to get too worked up over this, because it doesn’t matter too much, but I’d definitely prefer giving Ruiz a couple weeks at third in Camargo’s absence to a Flaherty/Culberson platoon, which is really pretty depressing.
    Ruiz doesn’t hit and he’s an inferior defender to both. He hadn’t done anything to justify staying up.

AA said defense matters so not too surprising.

Arguably helping young pitchers get off to best start possible is the best move. But this ranks up there with lane Adams decisions for me as far as importance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    When is final roster expected?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When is final roster expected?
    I believe all teams have to submit them to the league office some # of hours before the first MLB game. So in a traditional year it's on a Sunday afternoon before the Sunday night baseball kickoff. This year, I assume that results in a Thursday morning deadline. I suspect we'll wait until the bitter end to see if there is an upgrade available for the Carle or Adams spots.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    i'd agree if Snit would play him.

He has not played well enough to fit Snit's hot hand theories. So he'd just sit on the bench. He needs to play every day. Put up or shut up time for him.

Last year's bench was awful. Historically awful. I'm not sure how this bench is much better unless we have the balls to put Neck on the bench when Acuna comes up.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I believe all teams have to submit them to the league office some # of hours before the first MLB game. So in a traditional year it's on a Sunday afternoon before the Sunday night baseball kickoff. This year, I assume that results in a Thursday morning deadline. I suspect we'll wait until the bitter end to see if there is an upgrade available for the Carle or Adams spots.
    From DOB--

David O'Brien
    @DOBrienAJC
    ·
    BRAVES don't plan to announce roster until tomorrow morning. They're due at 10 a.m. and they plan to use all the time or at least remain flexible to use all the time

Moves made by Braves according to MLBTR

By Jeff Todd | March 28, 2018 at 1:02pm CDT

1:02pm: Atlanta will also keep Chris Stewart as a third catcher, per Robert Murray of Fan Rag (via Twitter). The veteran receiver had signed a non-guaranteed MLB deal over the winter.

9:52am: The Braves have announced a series of roster moves that set up the team’s Opening Day, 25-man unit. Third baseman Rio Ruiz has been optioned while non-roster players including righty Anibal Sanchez, outfielders Ezequiel Carrera and Danny Santana, and infielder Sean Kazmar were reassigned out of MLB camp.

These decisions reflect some shifts in thinking over recent days. It had seemed that Ruiz would open up with a shot at third base due to an injury to Johan Camargo. But the organization ended up snagging Ryan Flaherty, who now is set up to get some run at the hot corner in concert with utilityman Charlie Culberson.

Likewise, Santana long seemed a likely candidate to take a utility role from the bench, but the recent signing of Peter Bourjos seems to have bumped Santana from the immediate plans. As MLB.com’s Mark Bowman suggested earlier today on Twitter, Santana (along with Carrera) can be stashed at Triple-A to begin the season. That’s preferable to boosting either player to the 40-man and perhaps then facing an early call when it comes time to add a fifth starter. Instead, Lane Adams will now likely take an Opening Day job, barring an intervening acquisition, though the out-of-options outfielder could now be vulnerable when the roster pressure arises.

Speaking of that fifth starter’s spot, it seems the expectation remains that Sanchez will ultimately ascend to the rotation. For now, though, he’ll be assigned to Triple-A. If and when he does come up, he’ll need to be added to the 40-man roster.

While this slate of moves allows the Braves to avoid any final decisions — since control rights have been maintained over all the team’s options — that doesn’t mean that some moments of reckoning won’t soon arise. As we discussed in our review of the club’s offseason, this roster seems primed to undergo a fair bit of turnover at the start and over the course of the 2018 season.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 03-28-2018 at 07:32 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Lol at starting Flaherty and Culberson instead of giving Rio a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I would pick up Josh Lucas if no one trades for or claims him before hand who was DFA'd by the Cardinals and then either option of DFA Carle. As MLBTR noted: "It’s a bit of a surprise to see Lucas, who generates whiffs and grounders at solid rates, bounced from the 40-man. He is coming off of a spring showing in which he recorded 11 1/3 scoreless innings with a dozen strikeouts while permitting only four base hits and a pair of walks. Lucas briefly reached the majors last year after throwing sixty frames of 3.15 ERA ball, with 10.2 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9, at the Triple-A level."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Lol at starting Flaherty and Culberson instead of giving Rio a shot.
    Ruiz being dropped was a good move and his striking out his only two AB's in the Futures Game probably sealed that for him. I don't think Flaherty is the answer but he can back-up at positions that Ruiz cannot even play so that is probably part of the reason he is here.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Final roster to be announced Thursday 10 a.m.