Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp ends! Finals moves TBA for Opening Day.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm over Kroll...Hope he elects free agency. We should have flipped him this past offseason when he had value.
    Selling high on BP arms that experience unexpected success is always smart. Sam Freeman might be that guy this year. He is one of the Braves 3 "sell high" pieces, in my opinion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-20-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Selling high on BP arms that experience unexpected success is always smart. Sam Freeman might be that guy this year. He is one of the Braves 3 "sell high" pieces, in my opinion.
    I don't think they will this offseason, in the hope that they will compete and he can contribute. But since they likely won't be competing, I think our best hope is that Freeman continues his success so maybe he can be moved at the deadline next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I don't think they will this offseason, in the hope that they will compete and he can contribute. But since they likely won't be competing, I think our best hope is that Freeman continues his success so maybe he can be moved at the deadline next year.
    I don't think they will either, but Freeman, Camargo and Riley are the 3 guys I think are currently at peak value.

I'm still holding out hope they can fix the OF and see enough organic improvement in the rotation that the Braves can be limited buyers at the deadline.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Given the current situation,

I think the "sell high" candidates for the Braves are:

1. Viz
    2. S Freeman
    3. Inciarte
    4. M Adams
    5. Camargo
    6. Ramirez

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I don't think they will either, but Freeman, Camargo and Riley are the 3 guys I think are currently at peak value.

I'm still holding out hope they can fix the OF and see enough organic improvement in the rotation that the Braves can be limited buyers at the deadline.
    I agree as well on Riley if we are dipping into the minor leagues

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Yep, I'd sell S Freeman and Viz. We'll have plenty of bullpen pieces soon.

I don't think we are gonna be able to get rid of Kemp without taking on a bad contract. Why has no one ever tried him at first? I'd use him somewhat like we used Matt Adams this year and sell Matt Adams.

I'd sell Markakis later in the season just to keep Acuna down for a little while.

I'd keep Camargo. His poor range and huge arm make him perfect to backup third and RF. If he can keep hitting like he is, then he solves the third base issue unless we trade for one. I'd love to see him make some throws from RF.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Camargo is definitely the biggest sell high candidate for me. I would also throw Viz in there as well, along with the other two you mentioned. I guess Riley is the guy I'm a little bit iffy on, because I just don't know whether I'm a believer in his upside or not. He is probably the most confusing prospect in our system to me. I wouldn't lose any sleep over moving him, but I also think him actually turning into something isn't out of the question. Perhaps his value is higher than his potential upside at the moment, in which case I would agree with moving him

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I see everyone mentioning Viz. While I don't think they will trade him, it seems like we have been saying "trade Viz as soon as his value rises" for years now.

I can't argue with the logic behind pulling the trigger on such a trade now.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Krol outrighted to Gwinnett (yesterday).

There's a 40-Man slot. (Makes room for Lindgren.)
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-20-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The comment that the Braves want to acquire one or two real options for high leverage situations doesn't speak a whole lot to how much they like guys like Johnson, Vizcaino, Ramirez.

With Vizcaino becoming more expensive seems like a trade candidate.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Freeman is having a career year at 30. Ramirez is outpitching his peripherals. I think those 2 are a good bet to be traded and they're also cheap.

I also think Viz is traded because he cannot make it a whole season and he's now in aribitration. If we were going to let him get some saves to up his trade value I'd say keep him, but he's not going to increase his trade value being a middle reliever.

I think Johnson will be flipped if possible.

If it's me I go in with Minter, Lindgren, Winkler, and Morris as my core, add 2 late inning guys,and then give the swing man role to whomever it makes sense to at the conlcusion of spring training...probably Sims.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The comment that the Braves want to acquire one or two real options for high leverage situations doesn't speak a whole lot to how much they like guys like Johnson, Vizcaino, Ramirez.

Always thought any nice words tossed Johnson's way were simply GM-Speak in the hopes they could get someone to take some of his money and free up a roster spot anyway. The thing the Old Guard doesn't understand is that GM-Speak doesn't fool anyone other than your less-informed fanbase - other teams certainly aren't buying it.

When you're in a rebuild and are teetering as to whether you're close enough to get on the fringes of .500/competition, simply be honest and tell guys like Johnson that if he doesn't pitch better you're going to cut him loose, and Kemp that if he doesn't keep his fat *ss in better shape he's going to be a pinch-hitter until the end of his deal.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts

Most likely I think we will acquire one bullpen arm and spend most of the remaining funds on someone who can play third (I have in mind someone not too expensive such as Nunez).

Right now I think the eight with the best chances of making the team out of spring training are: New Guy, Viz, JJ, Ramirez, Freeman, Minter, Winkler and Morris.

Some of the others who still have options will probably be kept on the 40-man: Hursh, Brothers and Lindgren.

It makes less sense to hold on to the guys who do not have options and don't have an inside track toward making the team. Krol has already been moved off the 40-man. I think the same might happen to Luke Jackson.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Few questions!! This enough?
    Sean Newcomb and Aroldis Vizcaíno for Aj Pollock and his contract year?

Matt Kemp, Touki Toussaint and Mike Foltynewicz for Michael Fulmer,Jordan Zimmermann and 10 mil.

Lucas Sims, Nick Markakis and Jim Johnson for Brad Brach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Few questions!! This enough?
    Sean Newcomb and Aroldis Vizcaíno for Aj Pollock and his contract year?

Matt Kemp, Touki Toussaint and Mike Foltynewicz for Michael Fulmer,Jordan Zimmermann and 10 mil.

Lucas Sims, Nick Markakis and Jim Johnson for Brad Brach
    I think you need to sit back and ask yourself why those teams would do any of those trades.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Always thought any nice words tossed Johnson's way were simply GM-Speak in the hopes they could get someone to take some of his money and free up a roster spot anyway. The thing the Old Guard doesn't understand is that GM-Speak doesn't fool anyone other than your less-informed fanbase - other teams certainly aren't buying it.

When you're in a rebuild and are teetering as to whether you're close enough to get on the fringes of .500/competition, simply be honest and tell guys like Johnson that if he doesn't pitch better you're going to cut him loose, and Kemp that if he doesn't keep his fat *ss in better shape he's going to be a pinch-hitter until the end of his deal.
    They are stuck with Johnson until he demonstrates he has bounced back from whatever happened for the second time here at the end of the season. I think its possible he does, but I don't see anyone lining up to take him before Spring unless the Braves eat money and for some reason they don't want to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Another non-shocker, Armando Rivero has also passed through outright assignment waivers and was outrighted to GWI per Braves transaction page. Not sure if he has to be offered back to the Cubs now, or if that maybe already happened. At any rate, he's off the 40-man.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-20-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    They are stuck with Johnson until he demonstrates he has bounced back from whatever happened for the second time here at the end of the season. I think its possible he does, but I don't see anyone lining up to take him before Spring unless the Braves eat money and for some reason they don't want to do that.
    Just have to figure there's little reason to eat any of Johnson's money unless they REALLY need a 40-Man Roster spot. Same with Markakis - the money's already spent anyway. If everyone's going to keep doing you the favors of allowing you to hang onto options like Krol and Rivero without having to waste a roster spot on them, you might as well hang on to them and see if they look better in camp in February and March...options.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I think you need to sit back and ask yourself why those teams would do any of those trades.
    I am not a GM and probably the GM is not going to do any of that.
    Arizona wants Jd Martinez
    They have David Peralta and Yasmani Tomas. Just asking where they play Jd Martinez? Plus Pollock is a free agent after the year.
    Plus they need a closer because Fernando Rodney have 40 years and i believe Vizcaino he can do the job and cheaper.

Detroit is cleaning house and if they can trade that bad contract of Jordan Zimmerman they may listen plus Michael Fulmer is coming from a injury. Jordan Zimmerman still have 3 more years and 74 mil and Matt Kemp 2 and 36 mil.

Baltimore; Seth Smith is free agent and they need a outfielder. Nick Markakis he can cover that position and Lucas Sims still a prospect and they need to make their rotation better.

Sooner or later Braves are going to trade pitchers. Because you can’t have a rotation of 15 pitchers.
    Last edited by ixiXSolidXixi; 10-20-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    The O's (and other teams looking for a corner outfielder) will probably check the price on guys like Seth Smith and Jay Bruce before trying to make a trade for someone like Muk.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-21-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."