Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Camp ends! Finals moves TBA for Opening Day.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    This Tuesday is the deadline to release players on non-guaranteed contracts w/ just 30 day termination pay owed. I think that Rex Brothers would be the only possible casualty for ATL. I'm more interested to see who may free up from other teams.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...saction-dates/
    I could see Stewart as a possibility. Do we need 3 cathers on the 40 man roster. We could probably cut him and then offer a minor league contract and the same rate.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This seemed like the best place to put this:

"Shane
    12:09 Guys like Michael Chavis, Jake Bauers, Austin Riley, Chris Shaw, and DJ peters are ranked so differently, yet I see a similar skillset (offensively). Why is Bauers ranked the so much higher?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:11 Disagree that their skillsets are similar. Bauers has the best contact skills among them by far and the reasons the rest of the guys swing and miss (Chavis: swing violence; Riley: load depth; Shaw: scouts aren't sold on the bat speed; Peters: lever length) are different. And then we could get into their respective defensive profiles which are also all different..."

I talked about how his first movement on load is to point the tip of the bat towards the pitcher, and that could be contributing to his long swing that some have confused with a lack of bat speed. To me, this seems like a fixable issue.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This seemed like the best place to put this:

"Shane
    12:09 Guys like Michael Chavis, Jake Bauers, Austin Riley, Chris Shaw, and DJ peters are ranked so differently, yet I see a similar skillset (offensively). Why is Bauers ranked the so much higher?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:11 Disagree that their skillsets are similar. Bauers has the best contact skills among them by far and the reasons the rest of the guys swing and miss (Chavis: swing violence; Riley: load depth; Shaw: scouts aren't sold on the bat speed; Peters: lever length) are different. And then we could get into their respective defensive profiles which are also all different..."

I talked about how his first movement on load is to point the tip of the bat towards the pitcher, and that could be contributing to his long swing that some have confused with a lack of bat speed. To me, this seems like a fixable issue.
    There was an article recently about Kevin Seitzer saying there are some things he needs to fix but the talent is there. I believe he mentioned hips sliding
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Crystal ball
    4:22 What does the magic crystal ball of predictions have for my boy Johan camargo for 2018?
    Steve Adams
    4:22 If you're referring to him as "your boy," you probably don't want my predictions for Camargo...
    4:23 He had a .364 BABIP and one of the worst hard-contact rates in the league with no semblance of plate discipline or strike zone recognition (34.4 percent chase rate, 4.7 percent walk rate)
    4:24 He's at best a utility player, and I'm not even sold on him as a big leaguer. I think his bat is going to crash back to Earth in a massive way this year.

Of 318 hitters with 250+ PAs in 2017, his chase rate ranks #64, and his walk rate ranks #28. Definitely not a good sign.

However, those numbers are very close to Whit Merrifield, Starlin Castro, Paul DeJong, and Wilmer Flores. All 4 of those guys posted above average wRC+ last year. If I remember correctly, I think I used Castro as a Camargo comp earlier this offseason.

I'm not saying that means Camargo will be an above average hitter, but just throwing those numbers out there as if they are a death sentence isn't solid logic.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    There was an article recently about Kevin Seitzer saying there are some things he needs to fix but the talent is there. I believe he mentioned hips sliding
    Please post a link to that article ? That would be a good read
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Please post a link to that article ? That would be a good read
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mya...6QlzM/amp.html

Sorry this is the one.

https://www.myajc.com/sports/basebal...AZEgLbnW7Jh7L/
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 03-13-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think Bowman has it pretty much nailed in this article, even though Blair probably doesn’t have the long man job completely secured yet.

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-proj...er/c-268615654

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I think Bowman has it pretty much nailed in this article, even though Blair probably doesn’t have the long man job completely secured yet.

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-proj...er/c-268615654
    You think peterson makes it? Peterson/tucker platoon?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You think peterson makes it? Peterson/tucker platoon?
    Oh I didn’t notice that. Either DPete or LAdams will make the team as Tucker’s platoon partner. Santana backing up CF allows the Braves to keep a better hitter than LAdams on the bench if they so choose.

I do think Bowman has the overall numbers right tho: 4 SPs, 8 man BP, 5 man bench.

When Newk comes up to be the 5th SP, one of the OFers goes to AAA and they roll with a 4 man bench. When Acuna comes up the whole OF portion of the roster gets shuffled.

I would still like to see the Braves get a RHed hitting corner OF though. Maybe one will get dumped by another team closer to opening day.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-13-2018 at 10:10 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Fried sent down today so there is another decision out of the way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Fried sent down today so there is another decision out of the way.
    When does he emerge as a TOR guy?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    When does he emerge as a TOR guy?
    Did he say which rotation
    Coppy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-19-2018), jpx7 (03-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Did he say which rotation
    I’ve been outsmarted.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-19-2018), jpx7 (03-21-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Really interesting questions when trying to fill out my spreadsheet when setting the MiLB rosters...

1.) Why on earth didn't they cut Chris Stewart loose when they could have done so owing only 30 days' termination pay??? He has never hit at the MLB level, and with Flowers and Suzuki splitting time there's really no need for him in Gwinnett either. Brantly would make sense as your third option if either of our "starters" were to miss significant time since he actually is an offensive threat, and Scivicque is perfectly ready to split time with Brantly in AAA with Jackson beginning to breathe down their necks.

2.) Why pick Anibel up? Even if you tuck him away in Gwinnett he's simply in the way. He's obviously not good enough to start at any point - as of now he'd probably be #11 on the depth chart (Teheran, Folty, Newcomb, McCarthy, Kazmir, Gohara, Sims, Fried, and Soroka and Allard would all be ahead of him, and you'd possibly go to Wisler or Blair for a spot start before using him). He's not going to make the team as a reliever, and I'd much rather see Lindgren, Ravin, Biddle, Clouse, and Morris getting the relief innings in Gwinnett. As of now, you've also potentially got Hursh, Whitley, Pfeifer, and Carle to use in the pen there.

3.) Haven't they seen enough of Schimpf already? DPete is obviously going to need a roster spot moving forward (whether he breaks camp with the big club or not) and you're adding Acuna two weeks in. Adams' last few games will probably keep him around if they decide to have Peterson get everyday ABs in Gwinnett for the time being, but Schimpf really adds nothing at this point. AA's obviously an Ezequiel fan, and Santana's not going anywhere so Schimpf doesn't really fit even if he can be tucked away - especially with Riley getting the ABs there at 3B and Colon having proved worthy of being added to the 40-Man Roster.

Time to get rid of Stewart, Hursh, Schimpf, and at least one (if not two) of Whitley, Brothers, or Carle and replace them with Brantly, Colon, Peterson, Santana, and an open spot for The Manchild. And that's BEFORE seeing who might become available over the next two weeks.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    So with all of these rosters and suggested changes, I do not see where Anyelo Gomez is mentioned. He is the Rule 5 pick from the Yankees. Not real clear on the Rule 5 draft and keeping the player. Many different ways for him to NOT be kept. The most important is being on the ACTIVE roster for 90 days minimum. If because of injury, the player doesn't fulfill the 90 day active roster because of DL, he remains in rule 5 status the following season.

What are the Braves going to do with Gomez? Keep hjim on the 25 man roster or send him back to Yankees?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    So with all of these rosters and suggested changes, I do not see where Anyelo Gomez is mentioned. He is the Rule 5 pick from the Yankees. Not real clear on the Rule 5 draft and keeping the player. Many different ways for him to NOT be kept. The most important is being on the ACTIVE roster for 90 days minimum. If because of injury, the player doesn't fulfill the 90 day active roster because of DL, he remains in rule 5 status the following season.

What are the Braves going to do with Gomez? Keep hjim on the 25 man roster or send him back to Yankees?
    I've got Gomez as a lock to be kept - sure hope the brass does. His upside is undeniable, and if he continues to improve he'd be a cheap replacement for Arodys should they choose to let him walk following next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    You're talking next season. Will he be kept on the 25 roster this year in hopes that he can replace Viz next year?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    You're talking next season. Will he be kept on the 25 roster this year in hopes that he can replace Viz next year?
    No reason to let the Yankees have him back - it's not like any of the other bullpen candidates have outpitched him. He had one bad outing when misused (second inning), and he's got as much upside as anyone we've got - possibly including Minter.

If they need to use one of the late-game righties for multiple innings, use Ramirez - he's better equipped to handle that right now.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-17-2018 at 12:47 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Today certainly didn't help Anyelo - wonder what pitches all those 2Bs came on.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Updated as of March 19