Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp ends! Finals moves TBA for Opening Day.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It’s nothing like giving up on Ozzie. One is a superstar caliber talent, the other is not.
    Not comparing the players talent wise. Just saying he had a injury that takes a long time to heal. He was ready to “probably” make the team before his injury. I think DPete will end up being a average league starter to maybe above average. Someone will snag him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Not comparing the players talent wise. Just saying he had a injury that takes a long time to heal. He was ready to “probably” make the team before his injury. I think DPete will end up being a average league starter to maybe above average. Someone will snag him.
    Players like Peterson are a dime a dozen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Braves acquire Josh Ravin from the Dodgers for cash.

I don’t know who that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I have no idea if Dustin Peterson will turn out to be any good, but I've seen enough of Jace Peterson to know that I would rather give Dustin a shot than keep Jace.

I like that AA was aggressive after two LAD guys he apparently likes.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't really see how a team carries Demeritte on their major league roster all season. Can't make contact in the minors. Think its highly unlikely he gets picked.

Don't know about Peterson. You could theoretically carry him as a fourth or fifth OF if you were taking flyers. Try him out and send him back if you didn't like him. I don't think Peterson ends up being any kind of star, but thought he might be useful.

Guess the Braves were not ready to give up on Wisler, Blair, Jace Peterson.
    Given how good he is defensively, I don't see how anyone would expect him NOT to be taken by someone - particularly other rebuilding organizations. If you're someone like the Reds, Padres, Marlins, etc., picking up a bat with that potential upside IF he ever learns to make contact for nothing is a no-brainer.

Demeritte's ceiling is much higher than Peterson's, and he can play enough defense as a super-sub right now on a rebuilding team to make it worth carrying him and giving him another year to work with your Hitting Coach to make it worth the gamble.

JMO, but there's a lot more chance that someone would try to steal Demeritte than there is someone's going to scoop Peterson up. I'm not a huge Wisler or Blair guy by any means, but I'd rather have them around to help stave off the temptation to rush Soroka, Allard, or Wright in case of injury (rushed more than they're already being rushed, that is).
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-20-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Braves acquire Josh Ravin from the Dodgers for cash.

I don’t know who that is.
    Wonder if Ravin and Dayton don't just take the place of Hursh and Cabrera.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Looks like both Dayton and Ravin are out of options.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I wonder if we still acquire a major league reliever after picking up Dayton and Ravin.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I wonder if we still acquire a major league reliever after picking up Dayton and Ravin.
    The Braves promised to add 1-2 BP arms.

Mission accomplished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Dayton, Ravin, Ramirez and Cabrera are out of options. I believe Akeel Morris is also out of options. And I don't think Winkler can be sent to the minors yet without being offered back to the Rockies.

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    No reason to concern yourselves about the Braves 40 man....

Bringing up guys who didn't need to go on the 40 man during a losing season will have no effect on the ability to make moves in the offseason without concern for losing someone they don't want to lose....

Besides, the masses want to see the future today, even if it's half baked...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    This is interesting for sure. I understand protecting McReery and Sanchez, but AA is saying he doesn’t really care about Dpete or Demeritte. He may be looking at the fact that mostly pitchers are picked in the Rule 5 draft since they can be stashed in the pen. But, to risk losing those guys and keeping guys like Luke Jackson and Adonis is crazy.

I’m guessing he doesn’t think much of Caleb Dirks either since the Dodgers traded him back to Atlanta and now he is left unprotected.

He’s going to have his own opinions based off his analytics and theories, so we may see a lot of eyebrow raising moves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I was also wondering about DPete and TD, but JJ Cooper says its unlikely either will get drafted... he's usually spot on with his Rule 5 projections so we will see. I'm with you about not understanding why Adonis is still on the roster.... Luke Jackson I can see because he has the impressive raw stuff and has shown flashes of being a real useful BP piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    My guess is Dave Peterson not Dustin is the player we are most likely to lose in the Rule 5.

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-21-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I was also wondering about DPete and TD, but JJ Cooper says its unlikely either will get drafted... he's usually spot on with his Rule 5 projections so we will see. I'm with you about not understanding why Adonis is still on the roster.... Luke Jackson I can see because he has the impressive raw stuff and has shown flashes of being a real useful BP piece.
    Still has an option left, and he's lighting it up again in winter ball.

While he is more or less a wasted spot, he's more "ready" than Peterson or Demeritte - can be tucked away in Gwinnett for one more season in the event Kemp, Adams, and/or Camargo happen to get traded. Not ideal obviously, but he could platoon with Ruiz to buy more time for Riley, and could platoon with Adams in LF if Kemp were traded to buy more time for Peterson to bounce back (in the event he's not picked).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

While he is more or less a wasted spot, he's more "ready" than Peterson or Demeritte - can be tucked away in Gwinnett for one more season in the event Kemp, Adams, and/or Camargo happen to get traded. Not ideal obviously, but he could platoon with Ruiz to buy more time for Riley, and could platoon with Adams in LF if Kemp were traded to buy more time for Peterson to bounce back (in the event he's not picked).
    I understand he still has an option... that doesn't make it a good decision. We've seen enough of him at the MLB level in his mid 30s.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Roster Resource is showing Adonis has an option left and in interestingly enough Akeel Morris as well. I didn't think he has an option left. If so that's great to hear. My AAA projected pen would start off wih Morris, Lindgren and Brothers

I'm still over Adonis, but I can understand it a little more if he has an option left. I can't see any way he's on the 25 man roster opening day. I'd rather just move on

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    In the minors, Ravin hinted at having late inning stuff much of his minor league career (Reds and Dodgers) and has averaged a strikeout per inning over his career. Another guy who turns 30 this season.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Problem with Peterson is that he's basically a one-position guy who now has questions about his hitting (at least hitting for power). Kind of a tweener. If he could play CF, I could see another team drafting him. That not being the case, I doubt anyone does. I still think he may have a big league future, but it would be part of a LF platoon. Demeritte is no surprise to me. Someone might take him because he can play two positions, but I just think there are too many questions about contact. I'm a bit surprised that McCreery was put on the roster. He's big and projectible, but he's a light year away from the bigs. Terrible control numbers.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Problem with Peterson is that he's basically a one-position guy who now has questions about his hitting (at least hitting for power). Kind of a tweener. If he could play CF, I could see another team drafting him. That not being the case, I doubt anyone does. I still think he may have a big league future, but it would be part of a LF platoon. Demeritte is no surprise to me. Someone might take him because he can play two positions, but I just think there are too many questions about contact. I'm a bit surprised that McCreery was put on the roster. He's big and projectible, but he's a light year away from the bigs. Terrible control numbers.
    Mcreery does have some control problems, but he does have the high K rate as well as a 60-70% GB rate and he's only given up 1 HR in 132 innings. If Lewellyn can get his walk rate down he could be an elite arm out of the pen with those K's and ground balls.