Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp ends! Finals moves TBA for Opening Day.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Mcreery does have some control problems, but he does have the high K rate as well as a 60-70% GB rate and he's only given up 1 HR in 132 innings. If Lewellyn can get his walk rate down he could be an elite arm out of the pen with those K's and ground balls.
    That's what they are banking on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    there is no reason to keep adonis on the 40 man. demeritte would probably keep up with him in WAR on defense alone. and we know adonis stinks.

also over jace peterson completely. i'd rather see what the other peterson has.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    there is no reason to keep adonis on the 40 man. demeritte would probably keep up with him in WAR on defense alone. and we know adonis stinks.

also over jace peterson completely. i'd rather see what the other peterson has.
    Well it’s their decision. Not like they didn’t have plenty of options on the 40 to DFA. This is their judgment rather than any kind of crunch.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Well it’s their decision. Not like they didn’t have plenty of options on the 40 to DFA. This is their judgment rather than any kind of crunch.
    It's fair to question that judgment.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's fair to question that judgment.
    It certainly is. I don't quite understand their motivations on protecting a number of these folks beyond the idea that Wisler, Blair, Garcia, and others might have been relatively easy for a team to claim and carry on the roster and they don't think the players they didn't protect are.

Personally, I don't know why some of those guys are still on the roster beyond the new front office might not have had time to assess these kind of things.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Updated 11/23 with Ravin trade, Dayton and McCreery ADDS. l

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Something interesting that occurred to me that no one's mentioned - kinda wonder if the reason Demeritte and Peterson weren't protected was to gauge whether there's enough interest in either to be trade chips. Obviously they don't hold huge value, but other organizations may have seen the same things in them that we did when we initially targeted them - at least enough that that/those organizations might value them highly enough to be more significant secondary pieces than we do.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Something interesting that occurred to me that no one's mentioned - kinda wonder if the reason Demeritte and Peterson weren't protected was to gauge whether there's enough interest in either to be trade chips. Obviously they don't hold huge value, but other organizations may have seen the same things in them that we did when we initially targeted them - at least enough that that/those organizations might value them highly enough to be more significant secondary pieces than we do.
    The hell?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    So we see if another team wants to take them for free?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Does the XM radio expert think the R5 draft works like waivers?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Good thing promoting Albies and Swanson before they needed to be will have no impact this offseason....

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    To see if someone steps up and expresses interest prior to the Rule V Draft.

We're obviously gambling that no one picks either up given the steps back they took - maybe someone that was eyeing a trade that believes in them asks that they be included in a deal before the draft happens.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-25-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

We're obviously gambling that no one picks either up given the steps back they took - maybe someone that was eyeing a trade that believes in them asks that they be included in a deal before the draft happens.
    Again...what the hell are you talking about? This is the dumbest idea you’ve ever had, and you’ve suggested MAdams for Odorizzi and Jenkins for Sale.

Edit: I take it back, it isn’t quite as dumb as those other “ideas”. Those are all time great stupids.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-25-2017 at 04:51 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

I just don't see that as a likely scenario. Even if the FO thinks of those two as trade chips rather than assets for the team, they would still protect the 40 players they deem most important to protect, whether that's due to their assessment of the players' value or their likeliness to be drafted in the Rule V. Not protecting someone in advance of the draft with the intention of trading him puts the team in a bad position in any dealings, because if a team really likes the player, they can just take him in the Rule V. It also puts a deadline on a potential deal before the team could lose them for nothing.
    Last edited by mqt; 11-25-2017 at 06:45 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Seems the posts were cleaned up. That being said, AA can still right the ship with smart moves. I think Peterson is ok. But solidifying a competitive team has to be the goal. Not much changes in the short term, but no more patch work SP'S..time for the youngsters to do it or not.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I just don't see that as a likely scenario. Even if the FO thinks of those two as trade chips rather than assets for the team, they would still protect the 40 players they deem most important to protect, whether that's due to their assessment of the players' value or their likeliness to be drafted in the Rule V. Not protecting someone in advance of the draft with the intention of trading him puts the team in a bad position in any dealings, because if a team really likes the player, they can just take him in the Rule V. It also puts a deadline on a potential deal before the team could lose them for nothing.
    I wouldn't disagree that it's unlikely at all - I was just as surprised that neither was protected as everyone else. I guess I can understand protecting Sanchez' upside over one of them if push came to shove (which it apparently did), but I'd probably have kept Demeritte over Peterson or McCreery once that became the choice since I think he can play enough defense to stick on a rebuilding club's roster as their 25th man - especially since he could conceivably run into 8-10 bombs on mistakes as a pinch-hitter/late-inning defensive replacement.

Just really tough to understand that they're giving up on a 23 year old bat with the potential Demeritte's has for nothing this quickly unless they're convinced the contact issue is completely hopeless - just reminds you of how we got Alex Jackson (whether he ever eventually makes it or not). If we really are going to spend money on the pen (or Folty or Touki get converted at some point), keeping McCreery instead sure doesn't make much sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It shouldn’t come as a surprise folks who thought TD made Albies expendable and DPete was ever going to be an everyday LFer think they should have been protected.

No team is going to pick those guys and keep them on the MLB team all year. They are safe and will continue to be fungible assets for the Braves.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    We're donw to 30 now after JJ traded. We'll be at least at 38 after Adams is gone.

I think we should at least be at 37. I can't imagine AA is going to keep Jace and Santana with both being arbitration eligible and out of options.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    We're donw to 30 now after JJ traded. We'll be at least at 38 after Adams is gone.

I think we should at least be at 37. I can't imagine AA is going to keep Jace and Santana with both being arbitration eligible and out of options.
    The choice between Santana and Jace should be pretty obvious. One is a switch hitter with nearly elite speed and plays excellent OF defense. The other...not so much.

One thing that might be going on is the Braves dumped JJ so they can afford to risk keeping MAdams to trade later. Probably not, but maybe.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The choice between Santana and Jace should be pretty obvious. One is a switch hitter with nearly elite speed and plays excellent OF defense. The other...not so much.

One thing that might be going on is the Braves dumped JJ so they can afford to risk keeping MAdams to trade later. Probably not, but maybe.
    I don't thgink we should keep either of them.

That's a possibility on Adams, calling the bluff of people who may want to sign him but not give up a player. I do think it's for a reason. We could have waited it out and seen which teams failed to sign other mid level relievers. The timing of it says there's another move coming.

I guess it could just be he's a no nonsense guy who's clearly identified who has a role and who does not and is acting accordingly so he can focus on filling those spots with players who fit. If that is the case keeping Jace and Luke Jackson on this team right now make no sense to me.