Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snitckers extent for 2018

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Snitker has a one year deal if they pick up the option. He can be relieved at any time. It's not a big deal unless you think he's the difference between making the playoffs or not next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm resigned to the fact its looking more and more that Moore-Yost will be our GM-Manager combo sooner than later. Out of all of Bobby's disciples, Yost has achieved the most and had the longest managerial tenure.
    No way Yost is better than Fredi.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Snitker is the embodiment of the Peter Principle. I just hope that next season he doesn't continue to make the obvious mistakes. Every manager makes missteps and misjudgments, but Snitker doesn't seem to understand elementary things like match-ups very well. In the long run, we have a talent gap and I don't think the manager means that much. Sparky Anderson is in the Hall of Fame and from my perspective, about all he ever did was spell the names of his players (many of whom were great) correctly on the line-up card.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-05-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    As lo0ng as Snitckers retains Hernandez, the Braves don't make playoffs, or even sniff the wild card. That's where my dislike of Snitckers begins. Add in many very questionable moves and he should be toast.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think we really messed up by not hiring Black last year. We painted ourselves into a bit of a corner with Snit, and now it looks like, one way or the other, we'll see him or Yost (Washington may punch out, based on the presumption that he was the heir apparent for 18) for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 10-05-2017 at 08:23 AM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (10-05-2017), Garmel (10-06-2017), goldfly (10-06-2017), Hawk (10-05-2017), jpx7 (10-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    From what I read players, McGuirk, JS and Cox were on one side and Coppy and Hart on the other. I guess Hart capitulated probably on grounds that the long-term manager (to the extent there is such a thing) should be left to the next GM. There is some logic to that.
    JS and Cox are hardly involved at this point, especially Cox. JS is a figurehead. McGuirk and Hart are the decision-makers for the time being.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Snitker return now official.

Hart must've won - no DMGM.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...18-option.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I think baseball managing is very similar to coaching in the basketball. Neither one really does much in the way of a team's performance. It ultimately falls on the players to perform. Calling for a hit and run, stolen base, or a sacrifice bunt is really all a manager does as far as hitting goes. Making a pitching change can be a big deal and a double switch is tricky to handle as well. Over the course of a 162 game season every manager makes good calls and bad ones. I think at the end of the day it doesn't really matter much as to who brings the lineup card to home plate before first pitch.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I think baseball managing is very similar to coaching in the basketball. Neither one really does much in the way of a team's performance. It ultimately falls on the players to perform. Calling for a hit and run, stolen base, or a sacrifice bunt is really all a manager does as far as hitting goes. Making a pitching change can be a big deal and a double switch is tricky to handle as well. Over the course of a 162 game season every manager makes good calls and bad ones. I think at the end of the day it doesn't really matter much as to who brings the lineup card to home plate before first pitch.
    If coaching didn't matter in basketball, Michigan State would be horrible. I agree with you about managing being unimportant in baseball though.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Snitker return now official.

Hart must've won - no DMGM.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...18-option.html
    And I look forward to Hart's first move being packaging Ozzie Albies.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Lol yeah, Coppy wasn't fired as part of a dork purge. Riiiight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I'm actually surprisingly satisfied by this move.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-06-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    JS and Cox are hardly involved at this point, especially Cox. JS is a figurehead.
    i just don't see how anyone can this with a straight face when delving into this story

they need to ride off into the sunset.

thanks but yalls time is over
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i just don't see how anyone can this with a straight face when delving into this story

So, please point out to me where Bobby's name is mentioned in any of this controversy?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-06-2017), JohnAdcox (10-06-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

When it comes out that Schuerholz wants Schuerholz Jr to be the Braves GM soon....yeah that should be self explanatory. He absolutely is involved, no he's not involved in everyday things, but if it's something that Mr. Schuerholz does not like, he pushes back against it, while kicking and screaming, and he usually gets his way.

Everything that Jeff Wren said is sadly true (maybe embellished a little, but true) and it seems like Schuerholz pushed back against trades that would have helped the Braves. Like Frank Wren was prepared to trade BJ Upton and John Schuerholz said no and nixed it.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    There are some very good coaching candidates out on the market this year:

Dave Martinez, Doug Mientkiewicz, Alex Cora, Gabe Kapler, Mickey Callaway and more....

...and we are stuck with Brian Snit (the Twit)ckers

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Most telling should be that both the Mets, Tigers and Red Sox are actively looking for new managers, and neither Porter nor Washington are candidates.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...al-search.html

The Braves are able to keep these "potential managers" employed as coaches because nobody else wants them to manage their club.

Yet they were the most likely candidates to replace Snit? Not encouraging...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-16-2017 at 12:51 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    I saw where Walt Weiss is being considered for TP or Eddie's role. Thoughts?

I'd be in for Ausmus to manage us in the magical season of our saving, 2019.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I saw where Walt Weiss is being considered for TP or Eddie's role. Thoughts?

I'd be in for Ausmus to manage us in the magical season of our saving, 2019.
    Makes sense. He played for the Braves and made a really good play at the plate in the playoffs that one year.

Seems to be the only requirements for a leadership position with the Braves.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-17-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Makes sense. He played for the Braves and made a really good play at the plate in the playoffs that one year.

Seems to be the only requirements for a leadership position with the Braves.
    What year.. it has to be pre 2000..
    Coppy