Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvey Weinstein

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    So why, exactly, is this story about a rich, entitled, sexual predator different than those others?
    the recent predators have been life-long, big-time republicans; they just want their own fun now. difference is, i won't be defending weinstein, but they will sure as **** defend ailes, trump, and o'reilly.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2017), Julio3000 (10-10-2017), mqt (10-11-2017), Runnin (10-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Boy that’s one ugly dude. Kinda explains some things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/09/politi...ein/index.html

Longtime Hillary Clinton aides have been confused by the former secretary of state's silence on the issue, questioning -- in private -- why she has not weighed in at all.
    Weinstein has long been a Clinton donor with ties to the political family. Weinstein was one of many from Hollywood who donated to Bill Clinton's legal defense fund in the 1990s, a Washington Post report from the time stated. More recently, the Clintons rented a home next to Weinstein in the Hamptons in 2015, and Weinstein served as a connector between Hollywood stars and Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign.
    Weinstein raised about $1.5 million from 1990-2016, according to data from the campaign finance-tracking Center for Responsive Politics, and was a bundler for Clinton's 2016 effort, including at a star-studded fundraiser for Clinton in June 2016 at Weinstein's Manhattan home.
    Clinton personally headlined multiple fundraisers Weinstein was involved in organizing during the campaign.
    CRP's OpenSecrets website shows Weinstein was a bundler for Obama as well, and the Hollywood giant visited the White House on several occasions during Obama's tenure. At a White House event for student films in 2013, first lady Michelle Obama credited Weinstein for making the event happen and praised him as a wonderful person and a good friend.

I mean, this stuff isn't coming from Breitbart.

I guess if you are asking my opinion then I would say that the personal friendship the Clintons have enjoyed for many years with Harvey probably entices the press more than the professional relationships Trump had with O'Reilly and Ailes. I would probably add that Bill's long history of womanizing probably also plays a part. Pressed further, I might conclude that the perception of Hillary giggling as she recalls her defense of a 41 year old man who raped a 12 year old girl doesn't help, and neither does Carl Bernstein's claim that she was the person in charge of keeping Bill's mistresses silent.

But that's just my opinion. I don't exactly why CNN, NYT, Hillary's aides, etc were pushing it so hard.
    Last edited by Jaw; 10-10-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    We can all rest easy now

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politi...ein/index.html

"I was shocked and appalled by the revelations about Harvey Weinstein," Clinton said in a statement through her spokesman Nick Merrill. "The behavior described by women coming forward cannot be tolerated. Their courage and the support of others is critical in helping to stop this kind of behavior."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/u...weinstein.html

When Gwyneth Paltrow was 22 years old, she got a role that would take her from actress to star: The film producer Harvey Weinstein hired her for the lead in the Jane Austen adaptation “Emma.” Before shooting began, he summoned her to his suite at the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for a work meeting that began uneventfully.

It ended with Mr. Weinstein placing his hands on her and suggesting they head to the bedroom for massages, she said.

“I was a kid, I was signed up, I was petrified,” she said in an interview, publicly disclosing that she was sexually harassed by the man who ignited her career and later helped her win an Academy Award.

She refused his advances, she said, and confided in Brad Pitt, her boyfriend at the time. Mr. Pitt confronted Mr. Weinstein, and soon after, the producer warned her not to tell anyone else about his come-on. “I thought he was going to fire me,” she said.

Rosanna Arquette, a star of “Pulp Fiction,” has a similar account of Mr. Weinstein’s behavior, as does Judith Godrèche, a leading French actress. So does Angelina Jolie, who said that during the release of “Playing by Heart” in the late 1990s, he made unwanted advances on her in a hotel room, which she rejected.

“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Ms. Jolie said in an email. “This behavior towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.”

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/09/politi...ein/index.html

Longtime Hillary Clinton aides have been confused by the former secretary of state's silence on the issue, questioning -- in private -- why she has not weighed in at all.
    Weinstein has long been a Clinton donor with ties to the political family. Weinstein was one of many from Hollywood who donated to Bill Clinton's legal defense fund in the 1990s, a Washington Post report from the time stated. More recently, the Clintons rented a home next to Weinstein in the Hamptons in 2015, and Weinstein served as a connector between Hollywood stars and Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign.
    Weinstein raised about $1.5 million from 1990-2016, according to data from the campaign finance-tracking Center for Responsive Politics, and was a bundler for Clinton's 2016 effort, including at a star-studded fundraiser for Clinton in June 2016 at Weinstein's Manhattan home.
    Clinton personally headlined multiple fundraisers Weinstein was involved in organizing during the campaign.
    CRP's OpenSecrets website shows Weinstein was a bundler for Obama as well, and the Hollywood giant visited the White House on several occasions during Obama's tenure. At a White House event for student films in 2013, first lady Michelle Obama credited Weinstein for making the event happen and praised him as a wonderful person and a good friend.

I mean, this stuff isn't coming from Breitbart.

I guess if you are asking my opinion then I would say that the personal friendship the Clintons have enjoyed for many years with Harvey probably entices the press more than the professional relationships Trump had with O'Reilly and Ailes. I would probably add that Bill's long history of womanizing probably also plays a part. Pressed further, I might conclude that the perception of Hillary giggling as she recalls her defense of a 41 year old man who raped a 12 year old girl doesn't help, and neither does Carl Bernstein's claim that she was the person in charge of keeping Bill's mistresses silent.

But that's just my opinion. I don't exactly why CNN, NYT, Hillary's aides, etc were pushing it so hard.
    For reals? Both Ailes and O'Reilly were/are personal friends of Trump's.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-11-2017), jpx7 (10-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    she was "troubled"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    For reals? Both Ailes and O'Reilly were/are personal friends of Trump's.
    You're right. I didn't know that.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2017), Julio3000 (10-10-2017)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    What a joke. She’s married to a serial woman abuser.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, heaven forbid we put a serial woman abuser in the White House.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-11-2017), jpx7 (10-10-2017), Runnin (10-10-2017), Super (10-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    The scumbag is getting some comeuppance now. The New Yorker, one of those "liberal", artsy-fartsy magazines, lowered the boom with a taped recording of him in action. I hear the Clintons always keep a copy on their coffee table.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    What a joke. She’s married to a serial woman abuser.
    Ira Madison III‏Verified account @ira

Hillary Clinton's DAMNING Silence On Kim Cattrall Refusing To Do Sex And The City 3 — Is She Complicit?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Yeah, cultural conservative cartoon villains like Hollywood, NYC, and Washington have this problem.

As opposed to, say, megachurches or certain religious organizations? Or the Boy Scouts. Or, heck, Baylor University.

Seems like institutions that aggregate tremendous wealth and or power also engender a culture that allows this, and are incentivized to hide it.

Touch a nerve?

No cartoon villains. Weinstein, Ailes, O'Reilly, Clinton, Trump, etc. Plenty of real villains. Sure other places and institutions do. No argument from me there. But I think the political, entertainment, and financial centers are probably pretty filled to the brim with this sort of stuff. Why does that bother you for me to say?
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 10-10-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Are we going to see a massive investigation to see how pervasive this sexual harassment is? I thought only redneck trump supporters abused women...

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    FakeNews outlets are covering this HW thing everywhere.

How does this work? If they’re covering it’s fake? If they’re not covering it’s fake?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

How does this work? If they’re covering it’s fake? If they’re not covering it’s fake?
    I'm just wondering if there will be a shakedown of oNE of the liberal epicenter in America to ensure that poor defenseless woman are not being taken advantage of. I'm nit holding my breath though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Touch a nerve?

No cartoon villains. Weinstein, Ailes, O'Reilly, Clinton, Trump, etc. Plenty of real villains. Sure other places and institutions do. No argument from me there. But I think the political, entertainment, and financial centers are probably pretty filled to the brim with this sort of stuff. Why does that bother you for me to say?
    Maybe because you are quiet when it's another clergy member who's been found out. The patriarchal Christian hierarchy, which subordinates all and gives complete power and authority to the man at the top is the root cause.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

5 days later

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why are we surprised at liberal hypocrisy? They don't practice what they preech.
    giggles
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"