Thread: Harvey Weinstein

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Evil is real. The world is fallen.

This is coming from someone who hasn't stepped in a synagogue since I was Bar Mitzvah ed.
    you called sexual assault "immaterial."
    please shut up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    can we stop pretending it's easy to come forward on sexual assault, for anyone, regardless of place in society? there are tons of reasons why women don't do it. there can be a lot of push back when someone comes out with it. and now we're sitting here criticizing those who were abused instead of the abuser. and we wonder why?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (10-13-2017), Carp (10-13-2017), jpx7 (10-13-2017), Runnin (10-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    LOL.

Sorry, didn't mean to bump into your 'apple cart'.

No need to apologize. I just think it funny that you want to try and deny any idea that their is evil and wickedness in the heart and actions of humanity while all the while making moral judgments and telling others they need to stop things.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    can we stop pretending it's easy to come forward on sexual assault, for anyone, regardless of place in society? there are tons of reasons why women don't do it. there can be a lot of push back when someone comes out with it. and now we're sitting here criticizing those who were abused instead of the abuser. and we wonder why?

Agreed. Let's aim our critiques at Weinstein and the overall enabling cultures of these culture defining centers of power instead.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2017), Super (10-13-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Agreed. Let's aim our critiques at Weinstein and the overall enabling cultures of these culture defining centers of power instead.
    ^^^^

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    thethe, feel free to use the word evil.
    He should feel free to use it: he's got enough of it in his heart for this whole board.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    He should feel free to use it: he's got enough of it in his heart for this whole board.
    Nobody who actually knows me would ever think this. Sorry I offend you but you just fail to realize the simple truth. But have it your way while women are raped and abused all over the world while we deal with sensless death due to a barbaric ideology.

Convenient you never talk about all the evil Islam is causing around the world. But don't worry...continue to live in your academia bubble.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Nobody who actually knows me would ever think this. Sorry I offend you but you just fail to realize the simple truth. But have it your way while women are raped and abused all over the world while we deal with sensless death due to a barbaric ideology.
    You call whole bands of people "barbarians", without any discrimination as to their actual complicity in the few tangible examples you have of barbaric behavior. You think it's right and just for society to let people die, to turn a blind eye to suffering, because you think folks just don't deserve long and full lives. You express so little sympathy for your fellow human on a daily basis it astounds me.

Convenient you never talk about all the evil Islam is causing around the world.
    Plenty of blame to go around. I'm more than willing to talk about all the evils being done in Islam's name, or in Christianity's, or by Israeli nationalism under the guide of Judaism; just like I'm more than willing to talk about all the evils being effected by capitalism, or by rank avarice beyond any mere economic ideology; by basic human heedlessness of cost.

But I don't myopically, hatefully, and dehumanizingly single out just one of those groups and foolishly tout it as The Great Evil. Even for all my deep skepticism of capitalism, I'd never genuinely reduce it to Single Cause status for the efficacy of evil in the world.

There are no simple truths, and there's certainly no "simple truth" in your outlook: only hate. It consumes your day-to-day outlook, your worldview, and your soul. Judge for yourself if that's evil or not.

But don't worry...continue to live in your academia bubble.
    Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm rooting for the world to save itself. Islam is a cancer that infects peopLe like rabies does to dogs. It needs to be discouraged so the world can get closer to peace.

The fact that you try to create an equivalency between the religion is sad. Christianity and Judaism have many dark marks in their past but now push peace throughout the world. Islam however brings death/destruction/rape.

This is the great struggle of our generation and the sooner we realize the sooner our children will be safe.

I've unfortunately endured much hardship in my life and I've never looked to anyone other than myself for help. Once people looks to others for help they can no longer help themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I'm rooting for the world to save itself. Islam is a cancer that infects peopLe like rabies does to dogs. It needs to be discouraged so the world can get closer to peace.

The fact that you try to create an equivalency between the religion is sad. Christianity and Judaism have many dark marks in their past but now push peace throughout the world. Islam however brings death/destruction/rape.

This is the great struggle of our generation and the sooner we realize the sooner our children will be safe.

I've unfortunately endured much hardship in my life and I've never looked to anyone other than myself for help. Once people looks to others for help they can no longer help themselves.
    The only thing more discouraging than your hate is your myopia and your unwillingness or inability to be self-critical.

The equivalency is there—you even admit it in the same breath you deny it. You say "Christianity and Judaism have many dark marks in their past", yet—leaving aside the dubiousness of the claim that those religions now monolithically "push peace throughout the world" (plenty of folks operating under the auspices of Christianity clearly do not; Israel, in its false invocation of Judaism, clearly does not)—your answer for Islam is not to try to reclaim the good from the bad (as you argue occurred with Christianity and Judaism), but instead eradication. Your close-minded hypocrisy on that front is farcical.

I'm sorry about the hardships in your life—genuinely I am. But I think one's own experience of hardship is a weak and fallacious reason to deny help from others, and I think the stigmatizing of help as a fundamental weakness is likewise fallacious, as well as morally repugnant.

I also genuinely hope you get better—get past your ruling fears, hatreds, and cynical myopia. But—for my own sanity—I need to be done with you.
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-13-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    No need to apologize. I just think it funny that you want to try and deny any idea that their is evil and wickedness in the heart and actions of humanity while all the while making moral judgments and telling others they need to stop things.
    No mention of "all humanity" that I recall, only about Weinstein. Selfishness, bullying and lack of compassion for others doesn't quite reach my definition of "evil", though I know the meanings of words are fluid these days.

I'm sure as a person 'in the business' you're sensitive to the nuances. I disagree with you that the Democratic Party is any more in cahoots with the Devil than the Republican Party. I think that most motivations are simply self serving, except when they find pleasure in the pain of others.

I'm sure you agree that one shouldn't label everything one doesn't like or agree with as "evil"?
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Like many women who’ve spoken out about Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct, actress Minka Kelly paints a familiar picture in an emotional story about her unsettling experience with the movie producer.

After meeting to Weinstein at an industry party, Kelly claims he set up a “general meeting” via her agent in his hotel room the following day. When she refused to sit down with him in private, they changed the location and gathered in the hotel’s restaurant with his female assistant.

“He bull**** me for 5 minutes re: movies he could put me in, then asked the assistant to excuse us,” Kelly recalled in a lengthy post on Instagram. “As she walked away, he said, ‘I know you were feeling what I was feeling when we met the other night’ and then regaled me with offers of a lavish life filled with trips around the world on private planes etc. IF I would be his girlfriend. Or, ‘We could just keep this professional.’”

Choosing the latter option, Kelly rebuffed his advances and quickly excused herself from the restaurant.

All I knew was not to offend this very powerful man and to get out of the situation as quickly as possible,” she wrote. “I told him while flattered, I’d like to keep things professional. He said ‘Fine. I trust you won’t tell anyone about this.’ I said ’Of course not. Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me.”

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    No mention of "all humanity" that I recall, only about Weinstein. Selfishness, bullying and lack of compassion for others doesn't quite reach my definition of "evil", though I know the meanings of words are fluid these days.

I'm sure as a person 'in the business' you're sensitive to the nuances. I disagree with you that the Democratic Party is any more in cahoots with the Devil than the Republican Party. I think that most motivations are simply self serving, except when they find pleasure in the pain of others.

I'm sure you agree that one shouldn't label everything one doesn't like or agree with as "evil"?

I call the sexual preying on others that we are talking about as evil not merely selfishness. Can't fathom why someone wouldn't.

Didn't say the Democratic Party is any more in cahoots with the Devil than the Republican Party. That's what you wanted me to say and imagined me saying.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

I am the chief of sinners.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-14-2017), Tapate50 (10-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Don't assume my cast stone reflects a lack of appreciation for my own.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I may have to throw the red challenge flag on this one!!! :)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Don't assume my cast stone reflects a lack of appreciation for my own.

I don't my friend. Love the Chesterton story:

“When a newspaper posed the question, ‘What’s Wrong with the World?’ the Catholic thinker G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response:

‘Dear Sirs:

I am.

Sincerely Yours,

G. K. Chesterton.’"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I may have to throw the red challenge flag on this one!!! :)

Quoting Paul of course. And I think what Paul is getting at is that we don't know the hearts of others - we do know ours (to a great degree at least) and since we do, we if we are honest know ourselves to be pretty stinking rotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    “Do you have any advice for a young girl moving to Hollywood?” an interviewer asks Courney Love in 2005.

The singer pauses for a moment, saying, “I’ll get libeled if I say it,” before issuing a warning.

If Harvey Weinstein invites you to a private party in the Four Seasons, don’t go,” she quickly says.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    “Do you have any advice for a young girl moving to Hollywood?” an interviewer asks Courney Love in 2005.

The singer pauses for a moment, saying, “I’ll get libeled if I say it,” before issuing a warning.

If Harvey Weinstein invites you to a private party in the Four Seasons, don’t go,” she quickly says.
    Horrible things we are hearing out of Hollywood. We are kidding ourselves if we think it stops here. The elite of this world do what they want and when they want with no regard for the common man.
    Natural Immunity Croc