Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    **NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

Harvey Weinstein

What a scumbag. Close friend of the Clintons.

Why doesn’t Hillary call him out?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Sounds like most of Hollywood and a a lot of the DNC should have called him out and much sooner... So much of Hollywood, Washington, and New York City must be filled with this type of evil.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Sounds like most of Hollywood and a a lot of the DNC should have called him out and much sooner... So much of Hollywood, Washington, and New York City must be filled with this type of evil.
    Yeah, cultural conservative cartoon villains like Hollywood, NYC, and Washington have this problem.

As opposed to, say, megachurches or certain religious organizations? Or the Boy Scouts. Or, heck, Baylor University.

Seems like institutions that aggregate tremendous wealth and or power also engender a culture that allows this, and are incentivized to hide it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-11-2017), Super (10-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, cultural conservative cartoon villains like Hollywood, NYC, and Washington have this problem.

As opposed to, say, megachurches or certain religious organizations? Or the Boy Scouts. Or, heck, Baylor University.

Seems like institutions that aggregate tremendous wealth and or power also engender a culture that allows this, and are incentivized to hide it.

Touch a nerve?

No cartoon villains. Weinstein, Ailes, O'Reilly, Clinton, Trump, etc. Plenty of real villains. Sure other places and institutions do. No argument from me there. But I think the political, entertainment, and financial centers are probably pretty filled to the brim with this sort of stuff. Why does that bother you for me to say?
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 10-10-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Touch a nerve?

No cartoon villains. Weinstein, Ailes, O'Reilly, Clinton, Trump, etc. Plenty of real villains. Sure other places and institutions do. No argument from me there. But I think the political, entertainment, and financial centers are probably pretty filled to the brim with this sort of stuff. Why does that bother you for me to say?
    Maybe because you are quiet when it's another clergy member who's been found out. The patriarchal Christian hierarchy, which subordinates all and gives complete power and authority to the man at the top is the root cause.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Maybe because you are quiet when it's another clergy member who's been found out. The patriarchal Christian hierarchy, which subordinates all and gives complete power and authority to the man at the top is the root cause.
    Bull****e.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Touch a nerve?

Because your first move was to mention 3 institutions that are stock villains for the right, which is essentially a political judgement, instead of taking a more expansive structural view of the problem, which would seem to be more thoughtful and humane.

Of course I don't doubt that what you say is true, but it's only a corner of the picture. What touched a nerve was the apparent reflexiveness and myopia of your take.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Because your first move was to mention 3 institutions that are stock villains for the right, which is essentially a political judgement, instead of taking a more expansive structural view of the problem, which would seem to be more thoughtful and humane.

Of course I don't doubt that what you say is true, but it's only a corner of the picture. What touched a nerve was the apparent reflexiveness and myopia of your take.
    How is mentioning the three centers of political, financial, and entertainment myopic? I don't get you sometimes Julio. Really don't. Just think you like to argue. Sure we can expand bad-sinful-wicked behavior to everywhere and in the hearts of everyone. We can have that discussion. I'm good with it.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Nytimes had a piece on him being a pervert over a decade ago and they didn’t run it. No late night comedians or SnL will even talk about him.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I guess democrats should nominate him to be president
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (10-10-2017), Runnin (10-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    It isn't just Hillary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The Obamas have taken some criticism for not speaking out about Harvey yet, but they are probably focusing on more important things at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Conspiracy theorists are already knee deep in this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Why are we surprised at liberal hypocrisy? Just like climate enthusiasts taking private jets. They don't practice what they preech.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why are we surprised at liberal hypocrisy? They don't practice what they preech.
    giggles
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The sad part that is getting lost in all of the denouncement hoopla is that his behavior seems to have been an open secret for a long time. Take this Seth McFarlane joke from the 2013 Oscars:

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    The sad part that is getting lost in all of the denouncement hoopla is that his behavior seems to have been an open secret for a long time. Take this Seth McFarlane joke from the 2013 Oscars:

Indeed. Just shows how difficult structural misogyny (and other forms of structural violence) are to overcome, even within ostensibly or putatively "progressive" spaces.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    It's just amusing when you see all this virtue signalling from the left whIle they are buddy buddy with scumbags like this while taking millions of dollars from the Saudis.

It's all a big joke and the sheep just follow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It's just amusing when you see all this virtue signalling from the left whIle they are buddy buddy with scumbags like this while taking millions of dollars from the Saudis.

It's all a big joke and the sheep just follow.
    "Virtue signaling" has to be the most devalued phrase in the current lexicon, other than maybe "fake news."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts