Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I am not sure why that matters... horse and buggy workers are doing worse today than they were 100 years ago.

We don't want to stop progress with protectionism. We want to create more and more value and people need to evolve to that or fall behind.
    Who says we need to be protectionist? I want to stop letting China take advantage of the West. People want to pretend that their actions haven't negatively impacted the Western middle class and that's fine. However, we are seeing the people speak about their problems and acting. If we don't listen things are going to get much worse than what is happening in France now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    well...i don't want to get started with France...they have tried to shelter everyone from the realities of free markets and have ended up with a bad situation...Macron needs to channel his inner Margaret Thatcher if he's got any of that in him

as for blue collar jobs...if you look at manufacturing output in the United States, it has grown enormously...and in general manufacturing jobs pay well...but because of productivity increases the number of such jobs has gone down...that's mostly due to productivity increases (a good thing)...a small fraction is due to trade...protectionism would not affect that much...but it would make a lot of things more expensive and reduce standards of livings for everyone including blue-collar workers
    And yet via policies implemented by this administration we are seeing massive growth in manufacturing jobs. What is the reason for that?

The supply chain needs to be repositioned. I don't even think it necessarily needs to be America but I want it out of China. I think a stronger Mexcio is much more in Americas interest than China. Bring those jobs over to the US/Canada/Mexico and we will be all the better.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'm not defending China here. I think they do a lot of things wrong. Some of which we need to be tougher with them about. But we won't fix our issues with them through protectionism.
    But the elite of the country (Waltons/Bezos/etc...) have effectively sold out the middle class to add some more to their bottom line. They know the negative impacts to the middle class and wages overall but they don't care. Nobody is asking for protectionism but policies that have been implemented by both parties in the last 30 years have done nothing but put incredible stress/pressure on the lives of the majority of Americans.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But the elite of the country (Waltons/Bezos/etc...) have effectively sold out the middle class to add some more to their bottom line. They know the negative impacts to the middle class and wages overall but they don't care. Nobody is asking for protectionism but policies that have been implemented by both parties in the last 30 years have done nothing but put incredible stress/pressure on the lives of the majority of Americans.
    The middle class has gotten stronger over the last several decades (more people becoming rich / less people becoming poor).. Amazon and Walmart provide essentials to the masses as cheaper prices, which puts more money in the pockets of its consumers... not to mention they are two of the biggest employers in the world (Walmart being the biggest)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Who says we need to be protectionist? I want to stop letting China take advantage of the West. People want to pretend that their actions haven't negatively impacted the Western middle class and that's fine. However, we are seeing the people speak about their problems and acting. If we don't listen things are going to get much worse than what is happening in France now.
    blue collar workers have largely misdiagnosed their economic problems...it is a form of malpractice to let an ill-informed patient dictate the course of treatment...better to be honest with them and let them know what can be done about their problems...of course that's asking a lot of our political class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    And yet via policies implemented by this administration we are seeing massive growth in manufacturing jobs. What is the reason for that?

The supply chain needs to be repositioned. I don't even think it necessarily needs to be America but I want it out of China. I think a stronger Mexcio is much more in Americas interest than China. Bring those jobs over to the US/Canada/Mexico and we will be all the better.
    I wouldn't say massive...we have bought a late cycle surge in growth at the expense of blowing a 300 billion dollar hole in federal finances...a policy that is in a word unsustainable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I wouldn't say massive...we have bought a late cycle surge in growth at the expense of blowing a 300 billion dollar hole in federal finances...a policy that is in a word unsustainable
    Well if Washington would ever get serious about spending then we would be more stable long term. Revenues have been extremely positive the last few months.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The middle class has gotten stronger over the last several decades (more people becoming rich / less people becoming poor).. Amazon and Walmart provide essentials to the masses as cheaper prices, which puts more money in the pockets of its consumers... not to mention they are two of the biggest employers in the world (Walmart being the biggest)
    If I recall correctly the figures you posted amounted to more earnings in the home. But what about the impacts of dual incomes on the family unit? There are other factors to be considered other than dollars and cents that have eroded what this country was founded on.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    A bid to remove a Texas county GOP leader from his post because he is Muslim has been rejected.

The Tarrant County Republican Party voted on Thursday to keep Dr. Shahid Shafi in his post as vice chairman, according to the Star-Telegram.

In a video posted on the Star-Telegram's website, Mike Snyder of the Tarrant County Republican Party announced, "the vote total was 139 to support Dr. Shafi and only 49 to reject him."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/us/go...afi/index.html

Shafi, a father, trauma surgeon, US citizen, and immigrant from India, said the group calling for his ouster is working against America's values and the Republican party.

"What we cannot do, and we don't do, is discriminate against a specific person based on their religion, caste, creed, color, ethnicity or country of origin. Our party has very specific rules that prohibit religious discrimination. Our country has specific rules and our constitution prohibits it," Shafi told CNN in December. "So when this controversy arose because of a small number of people at the fringes of our party, it's been really very -- they're doing a disservice to our party."
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-11-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Alabama newspaper editor who urged Klan to 'ride again' replaced by African-American woman

Alabama newspaper editor who urged Klan to 'ride again' replaced by African-American woman
    Doug Criss-Profile-Image

By Doug Criss and Tina Burnside, CNN

Updated 1519 GMT (2319 HKT) February 24, 2019
    Elecia R. Dexter will be the publisher and editor of the Democrat-Reporter.
    Elecia R. Dexter will be the publisher and editor of the Democrat-Reporter.

(CNN)An African-American woman is now the publisher and editor of the Alabama newspaper that recently urged the Ku Klux Klan to "night ride again," the paper said.
    Elecia R. Dexter, a "strategic leader with expertise in human resources, operations and change management," took up the positions Thursday, the weekly Democrat-Reporter of Linden said in a press release.
    Dexter replaces Goodloe Sutton, the newspaper's owner who penned a staggering editorial with the headline "The Klan Needs to Ride Again" in the paper's February 14 edition.

Sutton still owns the newspaper, Dexter told CNN.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

goldfly (03-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...5b785fb614/amp

FAIR HAVEN, Vt. (AP) — A 3-year-old Nubian goat named Lincoln is poised to become the first honorary pet mayor of the small Vermont town of Fair Haven.

The nanny goat was chosen this week by townspeople for the one-year post at the community’s Town Meeting Day. Lincoln takes office Tuesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...5b785fb614/amp

FAIR HAVEN, Vt. (AP) — A 3-year-old Nubian goat named Lincoln is poised to become the first honorary pet mayor of the small Vermont town of Fair Haven.

The nanny goat was chosen this week by townspeople for the one-year post at the community’s Town Meeting Day. Lincoln takes office Tuesday.
    Will it be sacrificed at the end of its term in office if the crops fail?

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Will it be sacrificed at the end of its term in office if the crops fail?
    I’m waiting for someone to dig up old tweets he made supporting now unpopular positions, or proving he’s an anti-semite, then I’ll have to move this from the good news thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I’m waiting for someone to dig up old tweets he made supporting now unpopular positions, or proving he’s an anti-semite, then I’ll have to move this from the good news thread.
    goat curry is delicious...I would keep it under good news
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-08-2019 at 10:32 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Reading this you might wonder why I put it in good news. But in a peculiar way I find it to be uplifting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ations/361631/

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Ireland’s Prime Minister Shows Up With His Boyfriend At Mike Pence’s House

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar met for breakfast with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday, but not without bringing his boyfriend along.

Varadkar, Ireland’s first openly gay leader, tweeted about the breakfast held at Pence’s home in Washington, saying “it’s great to be back here for a really warm reception.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Ireland’s Prime Minister Shows Up With His Boyfriend At Mike Pence’s House

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar met for breakfast with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday, but not without bringing his boyfriend along.

Varadkar, Ireland’s first openly gay leader, tweeted about the breakfast held at Pence’s home in Washington, saying “it’s great to be back here for a really warm reception.”
    Pence is fine with group settings.

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Norway is walking away from billions of barrels of oil and gas
    Mikael Holter, Bloomberg News

To the dismay of the nation’s powerful oil industry and its worker unions, the opposition Labor Party over the weekend decided to shift its stance and will end a push for oil exploration offshore the sensitive Lofoten islands in Norway’s Arctic. That means there’s now a solid majority in parliament to keep the area off limits for drilling.

The dramatic shift is big a blow to the support the oil industry has enjoyed and a signal that the oil era that built the Scandinavian nation into one of the world’s most affluent is nearing an end.

Oil companies led by state-controlled Equinor ASA, the biggest Norwegian producer, have said that gaining access to Lofoten is key if the country wants to maintain production as resources are being depleted. Estimates suggest that 1 billion to 3 billion barrels could be hiding off the archipelago, which is also considered a natural wonder.

“The whole industry is surprised and disappointed,” said Karl Eirik Schjott-Pedersen, head of the Norwegian Oil and Gas Association. “It does not provide the predictability we depend on.”

But Labor’s decision was not a big surprise. Norwegians are starting to question their biggest export and source of wealth amid growing concerns over climate change. Even oil executives had already given up on gaining access to Lofoten, but now the next battle will likely shift to whether drilling should continue in the Barents Sea.

The oil industry also fears that Labor now could be willing -- or forced -- to compromise on other issues the next time it takes the reins of government, such as petroleum taxes or the award of exploration licenses in Norway’s Arctic.

Labor leader Jonas Gahr Store said Labor will continue to be a supporter of the oil industry and continue to back the existing tax system for the industry, which includes exploration refunds.

Store earlier this week also said that he wants oil companies in Norway to commit to a deadline for making operations completely emissions free, an ambition the country’s top oil lobbyist called “very demanding.”
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"