Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

If Braves serious about cleaning up mess, they'll make changes at top

A blog by the AJC's Jeff Schultz:

http://jeffschultz.blog.myajc.com/20...hanges-at-top/

I don't necessarily disagree except for bringing in Dayton Moore. I do not want to see that man back here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Huh...

"The Braves essentially fired general manager John Coppolella, but as in most walks of life where an executive is canned, there are people north of him desperately trying to deflect blame and hold onto their jobs."

Sound familiar? Has anyone on this board been saying exactly the same thing since this story broke? Hmmmm...

The most likely best case scenario for all of Braves country is Hart hires a yes-man GM/assistant, or nobody at all. Since they have no money to upgrade the roster, this team loses 85-90 games again, resulting in a total attendance of less than 2.5M in 2018. The horribly low revenue production will get Hart and his lackies canned.

Then the Braves will be free to hire an intelligent GM fit to run a modern MLB franchise in the 21st century...complete with computers, spreadsheets, databases, and a merry band of nerds to run it all (giving Glavine and Joe Simpson simultaneous annuerisms). Someone like McLeod who will hopefully bring in a manager who isn't stuck in the 1990s. Someone like Dave Martinez.

Then, and only then, will the Braves be able to compete with teams that currently have far superior think tanks in house.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-11-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Is it really that big of a mess? We've still got a farm full of good young players and a new stadium. Seem like more a PR mess than anything.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Is it really that big of a mess? We've still got a farm full of good young players and a new stadium. Seem like more a PR mess than anything.
    Depends on the penalties.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Huh...

"The Braves essentially fired general manager John Coppolella, but as in most walks of life where an executive is canned, there are people north of him desperately trying to deflect blame and hold onto their jobs."

Sound familiar? Has anyone on this board been saying exactly the same thing since this story broke? Hmmmm...

The most likely best case scenario for all of Braves country is Hart hires a yes-man GM/assistant, or nobody at all. Since they have no money to upgrade the roster, this team loses 85-90 games again, resulting in a total attendance of less than 2.5M in 2018. The horribly low revenue production will get Hart and his lackies canned.

Then the Braves will be free to hire an intelligent GM fit to run a modern MLB franchise in the 21st century...complete with computers, spreadsheets, databases, and a merry band of nerds to run it all (giving Glavine and Joe Simpson simultaneous annuerisms). Someone like McLeod who will hopefully bring in a manager who isn't stuck in the 1990s. Someone like Dave Martinez.

Then, and only then, will the Braves be able to compete with teams that currently have far superior think tanks in house.
    Would you be up for the job? You've had all the answers from the beginning and are clearly smarter than everyone here.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IslandBrave For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (10-11-2017), VirginiaBrave (10-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    The penalties matter but nothing is particularly different today than ten days ago.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Would you be up for the job? You've had all the answers from the beginning and are clearly smarter than everyone here.
    I'm not sure how he would be as a people person lol. But honestly if we are just going off advanced analysis of the game, Enscheff could probably do a decent job in some sort of role. I know how absurd that sounds, that someone off a message board could do something that people commit their entire lives too. But as abrasive as some on here find him, you can't deny the fact that he does have a really good mind for modern baseball. I also think guys like nsacpi and thewupk have similarly good minds for the game.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Uh, John Hart winning this power struggle wouldn't be as bad as people may think it is. It'd be John Schuerholz winning it that'd be horrible. He at least is admitting that analytics have to be taken into account and if he wins he's going to appoint a bench coach in the dugout that takes analytics into account with the bullpen/lineup/etc to help Snitker who seems to understand they're important but doesn't know how to use them (which is why Pendleton might get fired, if he doesn't agree to do this he'll get fired). But it would be a both worlds approach, not fully into analytics.

John Schuerholz wins? Woo boy, there'd be trouble. I don't care if he actually DOES have respect around the league (he might not even if Jeff Wren is 50% false), I don't want to deal with his nepotism and you can basically forget it with ANY analytics being factored into account. It's not really a case in which he'd be fired either, Terry McGuirk is a puppet that doesn't seem to care (he literally just said "No comment" on this saga). If the investigation doesn't get John Schuerholz forced out, he's going to stick around and be forcing back on some decisions until the day of his death.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't think anything is going to happen until the league comes down with their findings. It's just wait and see now.

Hart gave one vanilla statement about us being happy with where we are and I think that's all we're going to hear until then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Clean house. Hart, JS, etc... all gots to go.
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2017), Julio3000 (10-11-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm not sure how he would be as a people person lol. But honestly if we are just going off advanced analysis of the game, Enscheff could probably do a decent job in some sort of role. I know how absurd that sounds, that someone off a message board could do something that people commit their entire lives too. But as abrasive as some on here find him, you can't deny the fact that he does have a really good mind for modern baseball. I also think guys like nsacpi and thewupk have similarly good minds for the game.
    Yes, an excellent idea. They should hire message board sociopaths to staff important roles. That most certainly would improve overall team discipline, leadership, professionalism, chemistry and cohesion. In other words, characteristics usually required to build a championship calibre team. Oh, wait...those factors can't be tracked on Excel!
    Last edited by Knucksie; 10-11-2017 at 09:11 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

BravesfanMike (10-11-2017), NYCBrave (10-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    nsacpi thought the Braves would win 85 games this year. He's one of my favorite posters, but no one in their right mind thought that was realistic.

Enscheff didn't know about our board's PM system.

thewupk is terrible at Spanish.

All of those are terrible choices.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Something exciting happened this past summer. A close relative was hired as an intern for a major league team and got to work with their analytics team. He apparently made a good impression and has been told he has a good chance to be hired full-time next year.

Anyhow, he told me that the mostly young people in the analytics team are given a surprising amount of responsibility. The guy he worked with most closely has only been there a couple years and has a group of teams (4) that he is responsible for compiling information on and analyzing all of their prospects in case there is a trade with one of those teams. One of his assigned teams was the Braves. I was happy to share my thoughts on the Braves system with my close relative. I felt somewhat conflicted and sleazy about this. But fortunately there were no transactions this past summer between the Braves and this team.

My observation from this admittedly limited view of the inner workings of a major league team is that the board members around here who take the trouble to follow our minor league system closely could definitely contribute information that a non-Braves team would find of value. I'm less sure of whether anyone posting here can contribute something new in terms of analysis of major league talent, but this is just a reflection of the fact that my relative did not see much of the analysis on that side of the business.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-11-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (10-11-2017), thewupk (10-11-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Clean house. Hart, JS, etc... all gots to go.
    The problem (not really the right term) with that is that if you do "clean house", whomever's left when the dust settles - likely McGuirk - has to give complete control and authority to the new "Honcho" to finish the teardown and the authority to immediately trade Freeman and Ender for the right offers. If you're going to go that route (not arguing you shouldn't) DMGM becomes the guy you want even more. Bringing him in likely allows you to retain the vast majority of scouting and player development personnel you're interested in keeping even if the "Good Ol' Boys" are shown the door because many of them still have somewhat loose ties to Dayton. There are quite a few of people at those lower levels you don't want to lose.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Something exciting happened this past summer. A close relative was hired as an intern for a major league team and got to work with their analytics team. He apparently made a good impression and has been told he has a good chance to be hired full-time next year.

Anyhow, he told me that the mostly young people in the analytics team are given a surprising amount of responsibility. The guy he worked with most closely has only been there a couple years and has a group of teams (4) that he is responsible for compiling information on and analyzing all of their prospects in case there is a trade with one of those teams. One of his assigned teams was the Braves. I was happy to share my thoughts on the Braves system with my close relative. I felt somewhat conflicted and sleazy about this. But fortunately there were no transactions this past summer between the Braves and this team.

My observation from this admittedly limited view of the inner workings of a major league team is that the board members around here who take the trouble to follow our minor league system closely could definitely contribute information that a non-Braves team would find of value. I'm less sure of whether anyone posting here can contribute something new in terms of analysis of major league talent, but this is just a reflection of the fact that my relative did not see much of the analysis on that side of the business.
    I've looked into several openings in MLB analytic departments. What I found was that

1. They are not very advanced in terms of technology used (the Astros were breached because an ex-employee knew a password)
    2. They don't pay their guys anywhere near competitive wages... they rely on how "cool" it is to work for an MLB team.

I have zero doubt I could write a database -> logic layer -> GUI system from the ground up that would completely trounce anything most MLB teams currently have. I also have zero doubt I could write algorithms to parse and analyze raw data from Statcast or any other source. I would probably need a bigger math brain on staff to do the initial work before it could be automated though.

The issue we have in the public sphere is that we don't have access to this raw Statcast data, or other data controlled by MLB teams (like rest and injury data). Couple that with the fact that writing the code to do this takes time that isn't compensated for, and it's not something many folks with that skillset are going to sit down and do.

Hell, it took me almost half a day to write the code required to parse .csv data exported from BaseballSavant and Fangraphs, store it into c# classes, and write the algorithms to calculate things like correlations and aging curves. I've added some stuff as curiosity struck, so I'd estimate ~10 hours to come up with something as rudimentary as this (the output still needs to be pasted into Excel to create charts):

At a $200 per hour consulting fee, that's $2,000 in work just to make message board posts for fun.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-11-2017 at 12:28 PM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (10-12-2017), JohnAdcox (10-11-2017), thewupk (10-11-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    LOL...I can't. I just can't.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm less sure of whether anyone posting here can contribute something new in terms of analysis of major league talent,
    Good thing to say. Meanwhile, The Twins think they're the greatest minds of the 21st century. Somebody else thinks this place is a think tank.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    It makes me laugh when folks think that people not currently working in sports orgs, can't.

I work at a massive technology company and am near certain that I work with smarter people than the Atlanta Braves employ.

The fact is, there's more money to be made elsewhere

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    LOL...I can't. I just can't.
    I'd love to see the code and analysis you can whip up in a few hours.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It makes me laugh when folks think that people not currently working in sports orgs, can't.

I work at a massive technology company and am near certain that I work with smarter people than the Atlanta Braves employ.

The fact is, there's more money to be made elsewhere
    Ding ding ding.

No experienced software guy with a family is going to work 60 hours a week for $50k per year haha.

Most won't work 40 a week for less than $100k.