Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Projecting 2018

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Intelligent teams like the Indians don't acquire players like Kemp and Markakis. The Braves best bet for unloading Markakis is to one of their fellow dumb teams, like the O's perhaps.
    We'll see what 1 WAR OF's are going for on the market in a few months. Braves likely have to eat a couple million in a straight dump but there should be some takers out there with just 1 year left on his deal.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Intelligent teams like the Indians don't acquire players like Kemp and Markakis. The Braves best bet for unloading Markakis is to one of their fellow dumb teams, like the O's perhaps.
    Intelligence got the Indians so much already!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We'll see what 1 WAR OF's are going for on the market in a few months. Braves likely have to eat a couple million in a straight dump but there should be some takers out there with just 1 year left on his deal.
    It was probably unfair of me to lump Markakis in with Kemp. While he doesn't carry any trade value, Markakis should be easily moveable to a team with limited budget and a poor farm system.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-16-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I still say Kemp to KC for Ian Kennedy makes a ton of sense for both team. May be even be able to get a little cash coming back our way if we add a pitcher like Wisler or Blair. Both Kennedy and Kemp have negative trade value. The money is almost a wash, but Kennedy has an extra year.

For the Braves, it gets them a veteran pitcher who perhaps can more luck in the NL. For the Royals, it helps to replace the offense they are likely losing from Hosmer, Cain, and Moose Tacos leaving in FA.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Markakis at 1 yr, 11-12 million isnt honestly a bad contract in this market. Kemp though is a terrible contract.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Why not trade straight up Kemp for Heyward!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I don't think either team is really interested in that.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Markakis at 1 yr, 11-12 million isnt honestly a bad contract in this market. Kemp though is a terrible contract.
    I would agree. I would think there would be someone that would like Neck and maybe really like him at 5-6 for one year. We just haven't seen the Braves interested in doing a move like that.

The other part is what crunch do we have for 40 man spots and/or opportunities to play? If we are not getting a piece back or enough money to acquire a piece then why do we move those guys?

I still think play them both in LF/Pinch hitter role. Maybe look at Kemp as your 1B back up.

Adams/Kemp and Neck seem to be redundant. So they will probably move 1. But I'd be fine to keep them all. The Braves always want vets around. We will be paying the minimum for Acuna, Comargo/Ruiz, Swanson, Albies and likely 3-5 pitchers.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think Markakis has the 4th outfielder and veteran is not bad at all. The problem is Matt Kemp.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-18-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    According to this:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ants-cubs.html

The Marlins would prefer to trade Yelich instead of Ozuna for some unexplainable reason. The Braves could have afforded to trade for Ozuna if he were packaged with Prado, but I don't see any realistic way the Braves come up with $100M+ in prospect value to acquire Yelich.

The only possible way is if the Marlins include Prado, love Camargo, and want 2-3 Top 100 pitching prospects. The Braves just don't have anything else at that level of value that they aren't relying on to be cornerstones.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Talkingchop just did a decent break down of the Braves arb candidates. It was amusing to see Ivan toss in his notes. The suggestion to extend Folty when the Braves already control him through his age 29 was also a bit silly.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/10/...ers-matt-adams

I agree with most of it though. MAdams is likely to be salary dumped to cut payroll, and both Jace and Danny are strong candidates to be non-tendered.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    BA did an article on Fried..comparing him to Paxton

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...miXzhvSvEWc.97

That would be a huge win imo.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Mac Gwire
    12:07 What kind of return do you think the Yankees can get for Betances? Would a team trade MLB talent for him, or would it be like two minor-league lottery tickets?
    Dave Cameron
    12:08 I think you could get a lower ceiling MLB guy for him. When I mentioned a possible fit with the Pirates, who have a lot of young starters and like to fix high-velocity RPs with command problems, I was thinking maybe someone like Steven Brault would work as a return. Not an impact arm, maybe, but a decent swing guy who could give the team cheap rotation depth.

Brault is essentially Sims. I would be in favor of taking a chance on Betances if that is truly the cost to acquire him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    BA did an article on Fried..comparing him to Paxton

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...miXzhvSvEWc.97

That would be a huge win imo.
    It's no wonder why pozzies prefer BA to FG haha.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This is why I think Avi Garcia could still be a buy low candidate:

ChiSox2020
    2:41 What kind of value does Avisail Garcia have this offseason? Giants, Cards, Boston could all use a corner OF.
    Jeffrey Todd
    2:43 Still not sold that MLB teams are sold on him. Very BABIPy breakout. There's value there, of course, but I don't know that it's going to be worth it for the Sox to create a hole in the OF and give up a chance for even more if he keeps hitting.
    Really a tough fit for me w/Cards -- they have plenty of choices. Why go pay to get Avi? Is he really better than what they have?
    2:44 And I don't see why the Red Sox need a corner OF? He's probably not as good as any of the Sox' 3 OF, right? Maybe he could DH, tho, since metrics have never liked the glove.
    Giants could make some sense I guess.

If teams really aren't sold on him, then the Braves can possibly acquire him for very little prospect capital. His .885 OPS was obviously a product of his unsustainable .392 BABIP, but he just posted a xwOBA of .352, and ranked #13 in line drive exit velocity (97.5 mph) out of the 180 batters that hit 75+ line drives in 2017.

He hits the ball as hard as guys like Ozuna, Goldy, and Puig. He is a good candidate to add some loft to his launch angle (career 25.8% FB is low for someone who hits the ball that hard) and become a 30+ HR guy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    At least one guy is giving the Braves credit for being smart with Acuna:

MattyB
    5:59 Do you think Acuna will play day 1 for Atlanta? Ripping up his 4th league this year, head and shoulders above any hitter in the AFL.

Jason Martinez
    6:04 Assuming he continues to hit in Spring Training, I'd guess he gets the Kris Bryant treatment and is promoted the day after he's assured of not accruing a full year of MLB service time. That way, he's under team control thru 2024 instead of 2023.
    So mid-April, in all likelihood. Even if they can trade Matt Kemp, they'll have someone in place who can hold down the fort for a few weeks.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    At least one guy is giving the Braves credit for being smart with Acuna:

MattyB
    5:59 Do you think Acuna will play day 1 for Atlanta? Ripping up his 4th league this year, head and shoulders above any hitter in the AFL.

Jason Martinez
    6:04 Assuming he continues to hit in Spring Training, I'd guess he gets the Kris Bryant treatment and is promoted the day after he's assured of not accruing a full year of MLB service time. That way, he's under team control thru 2024 instead of 2023.
    So mid-April, in all likelihood. Even if they can trade Matt Kemp, they'll have someone in place who can hold down the fort for a few weeks.
    Hope he's right.