Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grading the Braves' Four-seam Fastballs (FA)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    EL just did an in person scouting report on Kluber: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scou...s-an-exercise/

He hung the following grades on his pitches:

"70 command, 60 fastball, 60 cutter, 70 slider, 50 curveball, 50 changeup, with elite sequencing and pitchability."

The data I have breaks his pitches down as follows:

FA - 48 grade velo, 40 grade h-mov, 45 grade v-mov
    I have this as a grade 45/50 pitch, not grade 60.

SI - 53 grade velo, 46 grade h-mov, 50 grade v-mov
    I have this as a 55 grade pitch, which is betetr than his 4-seamer.

FC - 53 grade velo, 54 grade h-mov, 66 grade v-mov
    I have this as a 55/60 grade pitch, so pretty much agree with EL.

SL - 50 grade velo, 77 grade h-mov, 48 grade v-mov
    I have this as a grade 70 pitch, just like EL. It is a very good pitch.

CU - No data
    This is likely due to the fact EL couldn't determine if they were really two different pitches.

CH - 46 grade velo delta from FA/FC/SI, 44 grade h-mov, 57 grade v-mov
    I would call this a 50 grade CH, just like EL.

Command - Sub-2.0 BB/9 is my proxy for command, which is grade 70+
    I agree with the 70 grade command from EL.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-09-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    EL just did an in person scouting report on Kluber: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scou...s-an-exercise/

He hung the following grades on his pitches:

"70 command, 60 fastball, 60 cutter, 70 slider, 50 curveball, 50 changeup, with elite sequencing and pitchability."

The data I have breaks his pitches down as follows:

FA - 48 grade velo, 40 grade h-mov, 45 grade v-mov
    I have this as a grade 45/50 pitch, not grade 60.

SI - 53 grade velo, 46 grade h-mov, 50 grade v-mov
    I have this as a 55 grade pitch, which is betetr than his 4-seamer.

FC - 53 grade velo, 54 grade h-mov, 66 grade v-mov
    I have this as a 55/60 grade pitch, so pretty much agree with EL.

SL - 50 grade velo, 77 grade h-mov, 48 grade v-mov
    I have this as a grade 70 pitch, just like EL. It is a very good pitch.

CU - No data
    This is likely due to the fact EL couldn't determine if they were really two different pitches.

CH - 46 grade velo delta from FA/FC/SI, 44 grade h-mov, 57 grade v-mov
    I would call this a 50 grade CH, just like EL.

Command - Sub-2.0 BB/9 is my proxy for command, which is grade 70+
    I agree with the 70 grade command from EL.
    So basically Kluber is the floor for Soroka correct? lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Arsenals for Braves Pitchers

Fried: 40 FA, 60 CU, 55 CH

Fried's FA verges on unusable due to a very low spin rate that results in a horribly flat pitch. I would like to see him switch to a SI instead, which I think could be an above average pitch.
    I just read the Yankees are doing something very similar with Dillon Tate: http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...will_they.html

"Dillon Tate is working on a new pitch — that’s not the story. It’s a two-seamer — that’s not really story either. It’s how he started throwing it. Tate said the Yankees’ analytics department sized up his arm angle and spin rate and told him he’d be a “good candidate” to throw the pitch, so he’s been working on it."

Watch the Yankees acquire Fried, teach him a sinker, and have him become a 3 win SP.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-15-2018), jpx7 (03-14-2018), Tapate50 (03-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I just read the Yankees are doing something very similar with Dillon Tate: http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...will_they.html

"Dillon Tate is working on a new pitch — that’s not the story. It’s a two-seamer — that’s not really story either. It’s how he started throwing it. Tate said the Yankees’ analytics department sized up his arm angle and spin rate and told him he’d be a “good candidate” to throw the pitch, so he’s been working on it."

Watch the Yankees acquire Fried, teach him a sinker, and have him become a 3 win SP.
    Ya know, to be on the safe side someone ought to tweet this at AA and Fried. Just in case
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-15-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Ya know, to be on the safe side someone ought to tweet this at AA and Fried. Just in case
    It’s also interesting because that means the Yankees have statcast hardware installed in their minor league parks, at least as low as AA.

Is there any info about the Braves having similar equipment in their minor league parks?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    It’s also interesting because that means the Yankees have statcast hardware installed in their minor league parks, at least as low as AA.

Is there any info about the Braves having similar equipment in their minor league parks?
    No. I think Longenhan even mentioned something in a chat about our MILB and MLB data being so inaccurate its hard to even justify using it.

But, seriously... someone(!) really ought to tweet this at Fried and AA. See where it goes.
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-15-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    We finally have some real data for Ohtani. He mainly threw FA, SL, and FS, but he also threw 3 CUs. The data:

FA: velo = 98.3 (Grade 73.8), HMov = 4.0" (Grade 43.4), VMov = 8.0" (Grade 40.7)
    This is a 4 seamer with elite velocity and below average movement that knocks it down a bit. This matches up with Sullivan's comment, "Ohtani’s fastball has big velocity, but it still might not be a swing-and-miss pitch. It comes with a roughly average spin rate, and it doesn’t profile as one of the classic rising four-seamers". I would hang a 65/70 grade on it overall.

SL: velo = 82.7 (Grade 41.8), HMov = 9.3" (Grade 80+), VMov = -0.4" (Grade 59.4)
    This is a huge slow sweeping slider. He gets horizontal movement typically only seen by side-armers. It's hard not to call this a 70/75 grade pitch.

FS: velo = 89.8, HMov = 3.4", VMov = -0.3"
    I don't have much data on splitters since nobody throws them, but they serve the same purpose as a change. Graded as such, it has Grade 53.7 FB-FS velocity delta, Grade 19.5 HMov, and Grade 71.1 VMov. It doesn't move side to side at all (obviously), but it has very good drop (also pretty obvious). Given the lack of other splitter data to compare it to, and how shakey the comp to change-ups is, I would hang a tentative Grade 55 on the FS.

CU: velo - 75.4 (Grade 38.5), HMov = 7.4" (Grade 67.4), VMov = -11.8" (Grade 80+)
    He only threw this pitch 3 times. It is a slow curve with HUGE break. Based on this tiny amount of data, it looks to be a Grade 65/70 pitch. This pitch is fascinating, and I would like to see it used more data is available on it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-03-2018 at 12:04 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-03-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-03-2018), Super (04-03-2018), tomahawkchop (04-03-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    long story short, Ohtani is basically a guarantee to be very good as long as he's healthy. if we needed any more evidence that his ST meant nothing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Just because visual aids are always nice

Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Reminds me a lot of Smoltz actually.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Reminds me a lot of Smoltz actually.
    delivery is reminiscent.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Bump on this. I think Wisler should to be true what most were saying about him in this thread. A guy with good stuff who can pitch a great game if he doesn’t make mistakes. I don’t think anyone should read more into his start than what is on this thread. He most certainly deserves another start though. If he leverages his slider like last night he can be successful.

I wouldn’t mind seeing this bumped again mid season to see if anyone has improved or changed. Maybe couple this with pitch % thrown to see which guys are using their best pitch correctly and see how it correlates to their successful/unsuccessfully season.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Bump on this. I think Wisler should to be true what most were saying about him in this thread. A guy with good stuff who can pitch a great game if he doesn’t make mistakes. I don’t think anyone should read more into his start than what is on this thread. He most certainly deserves another start though. If he leverages his slider like last night he can be successful.

I wouldn’t mind seeing this bumped again mid season to see if anyone has improved or changed. Maybe couple this with pitch % thrown to see which guys are using their best pitch correctly and see how it correlates to their successful/unsuccessfully season.
    Wisler thru 3 starts (2 Gwinnett and 1 Atlanta)...
    19.0 ip 8 h 4 er 1 bb 19 k

I really hope this is even close to real. At the end of ST, Bill Dennis wrote a post on talking chop about which players were primed to have a good season based on certain ST stats... Dennis listed Wisler as one looking good.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Wisler has too many pitchers with more upside behind him. That might even be the case with Folty and Newcomb. We need to get Wisler back to the minors soon and hope he holds it together down there, then we can trade him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    Wisler has too many pitchers with more upside behind him. That might even be the case with Folty and Newcomb. We need to get Wisler back to the minors soon and hope he holds it together down there, then we can trade him.
    It's not like there's many right on his heels. Wisler should definitely get more major league starts with his performance last night.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    His slider looked great last night and had the Mets players fooled all night long. He has solid enough stuff to be a decent starter. Wisler most definitely will not be improving his value in the minors no matter how well he does. I say give him the 5th spot and lets see what he has. Sanchez has pitched well, but he has no future here and won't let us anything of value in a trade pretty much no matter how he pitches.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    He's not going to build any trade value in the minors, I don't think. Everyone has seen that before and it will be the same flyer either way. They only way he's building value is if he shows it in the majors.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

What's interesting is if you look at how I graded Wisler's overall arsenal: 50 FA, 40/45 SI, 50 CU, 55/60 SL, 45/50 CH

It is very close to Teheran's current arsenal, and Teheran has experienced some recent success by throwing the FA (a terrible pitch) about half as often as he used to.

When I said this about Wisler, "That is a lot of usable pitches...Seems to me he's a guy another team might be able to "fix"", I assumed that team would not be the Braves. However, Wisler threw 102 pitches last night, and they were:

53 FA (52%)
    6 SI (6%)
    4 CU (4%)
    39 SL (38%)
    0 CH

For his career, he has thrown the SI roughly 21% of the time, and the SL 32% of the time.

It seems to me someone may have told him that his SI sucks, and his SL is good, so he adjusted his pitch selection accordingly. Perhaps the Braves new analytics team have "fixed" Wisler?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-20-2018 at 11:33 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I'm pretty sure someone told Wisler to throw more stinkers (i meant sinkers but will leave the typo) two or three years ago...terrible advice
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm pretty sure someone told Wisler to throw more stinkers (i meant sinkers but will leave the typo) two or three years ago...terrible advice
    I bet Hart told him that when he was promoted