Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cut CutCut Act

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

The Cut CutCut Act

“Trump wants to name tax bill “The Cut Cut Cut Act”...wasting no time putting his best words to work.

Last edited by 57Brave; 11-01-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Seriously ---- they have had 8+ years to craft a tax bill.

Where is it and what is in it?

By the way, word is it does tax investment in 401(K).
    Roundly defined as a "middle class tax hike"

Word is also they have 1 vote to spare. That is including Mike Pence

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Do you care what is in it? Don't you oppose it, already?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I don't care if they call it the Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train Act as long as it cuts taxes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Justin Wolfers‏ @JustinWolfers 3m3 minutes ago

“Somewhere tonight there’s a child with a $30 million inheritance who needs our help.“

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Broaden the tax base and lower the rates.

That's the key to good tax reform. And to the extent the Republicans can do that by limiting the two big deductions for mortgages and state and local taxes, I think it would be a good thing. I'm sure there will be some sausage-making aspects of the bill I won't like. But if they broaden the base and lower the tax rates, it would be a good outcome.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I originally posted this as a reply to one of the memes in that thread. It was the last post on the page and not really the correct thread anyway, so I'm reposting it here in hopes it gets a bite:

Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The middle class is gone?

And don't the richest pay 39% in federal taxes?

I love these stupid memes
    When I think of the word 'President', I see a picture of Reagan in my mind. I call my favorite music Reagan Rock. I can't change the channel when Top Gun is on. I even bought a couple of those remake Reagan/Bush bumper stickers. I am a huge Reagan fan.

But this is one that I have always wondered about. The middle class is falling farther and farther behind the upper class, and we now see wealth concentration that we haven't seen since the Vanderbilt days. Are there any well written books out there that talk about how much of this was caused by Reagan's tax breaks, versus how much was caused by the move to globalization, service economy, the internet boom, drastic drop in interest rates, etc.?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I originally posted this as a reply to one of the memes in that thread. It was the last post on the page and not really the correct thread anyway, so I'm reposting it here in hopes it gets a bite:

When I think of the word 'President', I see a picture of Reagan in my mind. I call my favorite music Reagan Rock. I can't change the channel when Top Gun is on. I even bought a couple of those remake Reagan/Bush bumper stickers. I am a huge Reagan fan.

But this is one that I have always wondered about. The middle class is falling farther and farther behind the upper class, and we now see wealth concentration that we haven't seen since the Vanderbilt days. Are there any well written books out there that talk about how much of this was caused by Reagan's tax breaks, versus how much was caused by the move to globalization, service economy, the internet boom, drastic drop in interest rates, etc.?
    I think that some would argue that the former is not in opposition to the latter as a cause, but is of a piece with it. For decades, both major parties in America have essentially been proponents of the same neoliberal economic policy. Democrats put a little more social-democratic gingerbread on the outside, but the Third-Way Clintonite types have been driving the bus for quite a while, and their economic policies, while not as extreme as the Rs, are cut from the same cloth.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0e98da0979e7

Senate Democrats falsely claim GOP tax plan will raise taxes for most working-class families
    “On average, middle class families earning less than $86,000 would see a tax increase under the Republican ‘tax reform’ plan.”
    — Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), in a tweet, Oct. 27

“The average tax increase on families nationwide earning up to $86,100 would be $794.00”
    — Sen. Robert P. Casey Jr. (D-Pa.), in a tweet, Oct. 24

“Under GOP plan, U.S. families making ~$86k see avg tax increase of $794.”
    — Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), in a tweet, Oct. 24

A reader asked whether Harris’s tweet was accurate. But when we looked into it, it turns out that many Democrats were tweeting the same talking point — that middle-class families would face an average tax increase under the GOP plan. The three tweets below are just a sampling.

On average, middle class families earning less than $86,000 would see a tax increase under the Republican “tax reform” plan.

— Kamala Harris (@SenKamalaHarris) October 27, 2017

The average tax increase on families nationwide earning up to $86,100 would be $794.00

— Senator Bob Casey (@SenBobCasey) October 24, 2017

It turns out this Twitter blizzard is the result of a bad game of telephone.

The Facts

We traced the talking point to a document put out by the Democratic Policy and Communications Committee, essentially the communications arm of Senate Democrats. That document laid out a series of statistics, tailored for each individual state, that purported to show how damaging the evolving Republican tax plan would be for middle-class Americans.
    Note the difference. The original report referred to 8 million households receiving a $794 tax increase. Somehow, when it got communicated down the line, that nuance was lost and it was translated into a talking point referring to all working-class families.
    But notice the funny thing about this calculation: Only a small percentage (6.5 percent) of the nearly 122 million households in the bottom three quintiles will actually face a tax increase.

Meanwhile, more than 97 million (80 percent) will receive a tax cut. Doing the math the same way the JEC staff did, we come up with an average tax cut of about $450 for those 97 million households.

Indeed, at the far end of the chart, you will see that every quintile on average receives a tax cut — not a tax increase.

“Once we realized that the original report could have been clearer, we updated it immediately,” a spokesman said. Now the updated report makes clearer that 8 million households could face a tax increase — though again it fails to acknowledge that most people would would have a tax cut.

The inaccurate tweets remain.
    In their haste to condemn the GOP tax plan, Democrats have spread far and wide the false claim that families making less than $86,100 on average will face a hefty tax hike. Actually, it’s the opposite. Most families in that income range would get a tax cut. Any Democrat who spread this claim should delete their tweets and make clear they were in error.

Four Pinocchios

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Justin Wolfers‏ @JustinWolfers 3m3 minutes ago

“Somewhere tonight there’s a child with a $30 million inheritance who needs our help.“

Yeah, **** his parents who worked hard to build a fortune to pass down to their kids. They paid taxes all their life but those greedy ****ers want their post tax fortune to go to their kids instead of paying another large chunk in taxes. When they died.

How about this, if the government takes a significant portion of your fortune they have yo atleast provide you health care and then welfare of you go broke. If you paid 30 million in taxes you deserve some services and a safety net.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Michael Cohen‏ @speechboy71 22m22 minutes ago

That’s about $100 a month. Or to put it more succinctly ... bupkes

Michael Cohen added,

Speaker Ryan on tax bill: "With this plan, the typical family of four will save $1,182 a year on their taxes
    ." http://abcnews.com/politics

Michael Cohen‏ @speechboy71 13m13 minutes ago
    Replying to @speechboy71

... an additional $100 a month comes with a cost. Less $ for schools, infrastructure & the social safety net in general

Michael Cohen‏ @speechboy71 10m10 minutes ago

... and of course it’s middle class & poor Americans who benefit most from govt spending. So that $100 a month will cost you way more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Brian Schatz‏Verified account @brianschatz 4h4 hours ago

This bill eliminates the deduction for 12 million people who pay student loans. Every college student should vote next year.

Ben Wikler‏Verified account @benwikler 56m56 minutes ago

Today, the party that wants to ban abortion announced its intention to end the adoption tax credit.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-02-2017 at 08:58 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Michael Cohen added,

Speaker Ryan on tax bill: "With this plan, the typical family of four will save $1,182 a year on their taxes

Replying to @speechboy71

... an additional $100 a month comes with a cost. Less $ for schools, infrastructure & the social safety net in general

... and of course it’s middle class & poor Americans who benefit most from govt spending. So that $100 a month will cost you way more
    I haven't read enough yet to know how I feel about the tax bill, but suggesting $100 a month won't help is crazy talk. That's an entire loan payment. It remains to be seen if the bill actually does what Paul Ryan promises (I doubt it) but it's not nothing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-03-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    I'm shocked 57 doesn't approve.

SHOCKED

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Yeah, **** his parents who worked hard to build a fortune to pass down to their kids. They paid taxes all their life but those greedy ****ers want their post tax fortune to go to their kids instead of paying another large chunk in taxes. When they died.
    They're dead. They don't give a ****.

Their kids will still be bonkers rich without having worked a day in their lives, so let me play the world's tiniest violin for them.
    Last edited by Metaphysicist; 11-03-2017 at 03:30 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-03-2017)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Haven’t read it yet, but I heard the 401k nonsense was scrapped, so that’s a good thing.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ben Wikler‏Verified account @benwikler 10h10 hours ago

The party that claims to be furious about supposed disrespect for those who serve now wants to end the tax credit for hiring veterans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Michael Cohen added,

Replying to @speechboy71

The person you are parroting just said that the tax cut is both too large and too small. But hey, thank God we live in a country where even he gets to state his opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood

new ABC/WashPost poll on GOP tax plan: 33% support, 50% oppose. 60% of all Americans, including 60% of the wealthy, say favors the wealthy

Lawrence O'Donnell‏Verified account @Lawrence 4m4 minutes ago

Lawrence O'Donnell Retweeted John Harwood

More proof of how unrepresentative Congress is ...