Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cut CutCut Act

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ben Wikler‏Verified account @benwikler Nov 2

The GOP plan is to start taxing the interest payments on your student loans and stop taxing multimillion dollar inheritances.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Well ****. Guess they will have to pick a useful major instead of feminist dance theory or Chicano studies. Of course college wouldn't be so expensive if they didn't have 1000 extra faculty for things stupid ****.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...dits-illegals/

GOP’s tax bill cancels $23 billion in credits claimed by illegal immigrants
    The new GOP tax overhaul would strip illegal immigrants of the ability to claim several major tax credits, saving the government $23.1 billion over the next decade, according to the bill’s authors.
    For years Republicans have complained that despite a general ban on taxpayer benefits flowing to illegal immigrants, the IRS has allowed them to collect the child tax credit, the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit.
    Efforts to shut down those claims have been tried in the House but have never cleared Congress.
    But the new tax overhaul tries again, calling for taxpayers to have to submit work-eligible Social Security numbers in order to claim the credits.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood

new ABC/WashPost poll on GOP tax plan: 33% support, 50% oppose. 60% of all Americans, including 60% of the wealthy, say favors the wealthy

Lawrence O'Donnell‏Verified account @Lawrence 4m4 minutes ago

Lawrence O'Donnell Retweeted John Harwood

More proof of how unrepresentative Congress is ...
    Wow 57, good catch. Those poll numbers really illustrate how damaging fake news and biased media can be.

https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...bracket-000570

The GOP’s hidden 46% tax bracket
    If you’re rich enough, some of your income is taxed at a rate unseen since the ‘80s.

House Republicans claim the tax plan they introduced Thursday keeps the top individual rate unchanged at 39.6 percent—the level at which it’s been capped for much of the past quarter-century. But a little-noticed provision effectively creates a new band in which income is taxed at over 45 percent.

Thanks to a quirky proposed surcharge, Americans who earn more than $1 million in taxable income would trigger an extra 6 percent tax on the next $200,000 they earn—a complicated change that effectively creates a new, unannounced tax bracket of 45.6 percent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    I wish we could have national vote on major issues. I know it costs a lot to have those but what price can you put on actual democracy.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood

new ABC/WashPost poll on GOP tax plan: 33% support, 50% oppose. 60% of all Americans, including 60% of the wealthy, say favors the wealthy

Lawrence O'Donnell‏Verified account @Lawrence 4m4 minutes ago

Lawrence O'Donnell Retweeted John Harwood

More proof of how unrepresentative Congress is ...
    The plan has been out for approx 3 seconds. Those folks polled all had a chance to read the thing and digest how it impacts themselves/others?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I wish we could have national vote on major issues. I know it costs a lot to have those but what price can you put on actual democracy.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Catherine Rampell‏Verified account @crampell

Under GOP tax bill, colleges wouldn't be able to waive tuition w/o imposing new taxable income on grad students

Matt O'Brien‏Verified account @ObsoleteDogma 13m13 minutes ago

Matt O'Brien Retweeted Catherine Rampell

Taxing PhD students so Eric, Ivanka, and Donald Trump Jr. can inherit money tax-free sure are … interesting priorities

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Curious why I should have to subsidize someone else's loans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you are curious about a lot of things

women
    social contract
    how to buy insurance
    etc
    etc
    etc

what hit you !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You still didn't answer the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    We have a lot of college grads with gender studies, race studies, and other social justice degrees that are only useful for indoctrinating more students. We need subsidized loans to keep enrollment up, to keep feeding the social justice university machine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (11-04-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    you are curious about a lot of things

women
    social contract
    how to buy insurance
    etc
    etc
    etc

what hit you !!
    Let me know why I should subsidize your loans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    We have a lot of college grads with gender studies, race studies, and other social justice degrees that are only useful for indoctrinating more students. We need subsidized loans to keep enrollment up, to keep feeding the social justice university machine.
    how many is "a lot"
    do you have percentages or links?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Let me know why I should subsidize your loans
    why not?

I kind of enjoy living in a world where people are educate and raise their kids to be educated.
    Get back to me the number of degreed people and what their children grow to be.

At some point you will have to decide what your place is in
    a) social contract
    b) gender relations
    c) insurance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    There is a well-developed public finance (taxation) literature going back many decades on tax and subsidy treatments of what are called "public goods." Education is generally considered an example of a public good.

There is also a "public choice" literature which I suspect you would find of greater interest. Among other things it looks at how interest groups capture or influence public policy to the detriment of good policy making. I think the education lobby is a classical example of that kind of interest group.

I'm in favor of continued subsidies of higher education. But there needs to be a reform of the system so the benefits accrue to the students and society in general rather than the educational lobby. Among the reforms, I think subsidies should only be given for attending institutions and programs that have a record of producing enough value added so the students can repay their loans. I also think subsidies should only go for attending institutions that meet certain cost criteria. I am not in favor of subsidizing attendance at gold-plated institutions. Yes, a Harvard education might be a nice thing but I don't think it should be on the public dime (or alternatively the subsidy for attending Harvard should be capped so that it is no greater than the subsidy for attending a solid state university).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-04-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-04-2017), Metaphysicist (11-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    That's pretty reasonable and I especially like your inclusion of "...programs that have a record of producing enough value.."

Just realize that your proposal would take a ton of heat from the left side of the aisle for denying access to places like Harvard and for failing to subsidize the SJW programs. I love the latter and can stomach the former, but those folks aren't likely to see things the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    That's pretty reasonable and I especially like your inclusion of "...programs that have a record of producing enough value.."

Just realize that your proposal would take a ton of heat from the left side of the aisle for denying access to places like Harvard and for failing to subsidize the SJW programs. I love the latter and can stomach the former, but those folks aren't likely to see things the same way.
    when i become emperor i will have all those people decapitated (after first being disemboweled)...political opposition from left or right will not be a problem...trust me

I've been reading English history lately and find the following event especially inspiring:

But it was the final torture that made Edward II’s death arguably the most famous in English royal history: a group of men pinned the deposed king beneath a mattress or table, pushed a horn into his anus, and then inserted a red-hot poker that burned out his internal organs. This grisly execution was supposedly devised to leave no visible mark on the body. Although many historians have long suspected that the red-hot poker story was just medieval propaganda, most agreed that Edward II was indeed murdered in 13.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-04-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Catherine Rampell‏Verified account @crampell

Under GOP tax bill, colleges wouldn't be able to waive tuition w/o imposing new taxable income on grad students
    That's pretty ****ed up, on principle—though in practice, I'm not sure how much it will mean, since a good number of tuition waivers for graduate students are already attached to (very low) salaried teaching positions, which is income that is taxable (but frequently low enough to keep graduate students in the lowest two tax brackets).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Pretty small amount of federal educational loans are subsidized (which just means that you pay principal back, with help on the interest); a great many more for college are unsubsidized (principal+interest, like any other loan), and all graduate student loans are unsubsidized. Meanwhile, educational loans carry a lot fewer protections than most other kinds of debt—so, if anything, we need to do more for student borrowers, not less. (Or, you know, go deeper and fix the whole system ...)
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."