Thread: Is Brian McCann a Hall of Famer?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Is Brian McCann a Hall of Famer?

Uh, no.

The question was asked on Twitter tonight, and while he might be the elder statesman in MLB currently, he's got to put up numbers for at least three more years to even measure up to his contemporaries who have made that grade.

Consider:
    McCann has played 13 years. He has an All-Star Game MVP among his seven selections. He has a career 1,481 hits, 263 homers, 950 RBIs and a .264 average.

(we are using old school stats because that's largely what the voters use, right or wrong)

Gary Carter:
    19-year career, 11-time all-star. Has 2,092 career hits, 324 homers, 1225 RBIs, .262 average

Pudge Rodriguez
    21-year career, 14-time all-star. Has 2,844 career hits, 311 homers, 1332 RBIs,.296 average.

Mike Piazza
    16-year career, 12-time all-star. Has 2,127 hits, 427 homers, 1335 RBIs, .308 average!

Carlton Fisk
    21-year career(!), 11-time all-star. Has 2,356 hits,376 homers, 1330 RBI, .269 average.

How about compared to Jorge Posada?
    17-year career, 5-time all star. Has 1,664 hits, 275 homers, 1,065 RBI, .273 average. He got 3.8 percent of the vote this year, one and done. If that's all he gets, then McCann has no shot unless he continues a few more seasons of all-star caliber play. Long odds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I said in another thread that if McCann has a few more years typical of the back end of his career so far, he will be in the discussion.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Needs to get at least to 1800 hits maybe 200 hits to be in the discussion.

Too bad the writers don't take into account McCann has been one of the best pitch framers (statistically) throughout his career.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    He has aged quite well. And he still isn't that old, so he could theoretically play another 5-6 years, with probably half of that time coming as a full time catcher (well 100ish games/year). As long as his skills don't nosedive, he will have a strong case for the HOF.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Needs to get at least to 1800 hits maybe 200 hits to be in the discussion.

Too bad the writers don't take into account McCann has been one of the best pitch framers (statistically) throughout his career.
    Who says they won't? Mac is 33 and who knows how many more years he has plus 5 more after that before he comes up.

The writers have been getting more analytically as the years go by especially since they did that great purge on HOF voter status recently.

With that being said Mac has had a very good career and would be in the Hall of the Very Good. He only had 30 bWAR and the average for a catcher in the HOF is 53. If he finishes his career at a reasonable level he will get some support and stay on the ballot a couple of years but he just hasn't been good enough for cooperstown.

Of current catchers Posey has the best chance to make the HOF and is currently on a trajectory for that.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Who says they won't? Mac is 33 and who knows how many more years he has plus 5 more after that before he comes up.

The writers have been getting more analytically as the years go by especially since they did that great purge on HOF voter status recently.

With that being said Mac has had a very good career and would be in the Hall of the Very Good. He only had 30 bWAR and the average for a catcher in the HOF is 53. If he finishes his career at a reasonable level he will get some support and stay on the ballot a couple of years but he just hasn't been good enough for cooperstown.

Of current catchers Posey has the best chance to make the HOF and is currently on a trajectory for that.
    My initial reaction to this was that Molina would be a lock for the Hall. After looking at his bWAR he's pretty well in the same range as McCann, and I agree with your assessment of Brian.

Molina may get in due to the media hype for him in his prime, but given his current stats, without a strong finish to his career I'd leave him out.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Braves' Hall Of Fame? Absolutely.

That other one? Probably not.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Don't think that All Star Game MVP enhances credentials, like a WS MVP would. Remember voters aren't just looking at stats. They're asking the question, "Was he best of the best?" Then consistency and longevity factor in with the consideration.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    My initial reaction to this was that Molina would be a lock for the Hall. After looking at his bWAR he's pretty well in the same range as McCann, and I agree with your assessment of Brian.

Molina may get in due to the media hype for him in his prime, but given his current stats, without a strong finish to his career I'd leave him out.
    I agree. And Molina's defense is mainly tied to him throwing out runners which isn't nearly as important as pitch framing and that's starting to become more apparent. Molina had 3 year run where he was really good but other then that he's been a meh hitter with plus defense. Another hall of the very good player for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post

I just feel like Molina would get in based on the vote from the old school contingent. The all star appearances, the gold gloves and defensive reputation, the world series titles.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I just feel like Molina would get in based on the vote from the old school contingent. The all star appearances, the gold gloves and defensive reputation, the world series titles.
    Given that Molina is still playing and has time to add to his resume I would have a big issue with him getting in and then say keeping Andruw out of the HOF given what you said.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    No

I don't think Big Mac is a HOFer
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I don’t think so but he might be a great bench coach to work with David Ross, who I hope will be the Braves’ manager some day.