Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sexual Assault Watershed?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    1) You're more than welcome to provide evidence of how 'good' guys are being impacted by this movement.

2) I think the biggest reevaluation we need to make is what constitutes bad behavior toward women. For too long, men could get away with so much that we poorly defined good and bad behavior. If it's true that Morgan Freeman lifted the skirts of his female coworkers and meant it as a harmless joke, then we still have work to do as a society.
    But women can say whatever they want to men, and no problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    If that allegation is true then I agree it's over the line and unacceptable. But even well intentioned flirts can be interpreted as I'll intentioned and what will result is apprehension to converse at all in person it will all be online dating.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I disagree vehemently.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If that allegation is true then I agree it's over the line and unacceptable. But even well intentioned flirts can be interpreted as I'll intentioned and what will result is apprehension to converse at all in person it will all be online dating.
    I still think you're setting up a false dichotomy wherein either we maintain the status quo or we become a sexless, relationshipless society. In reality, there is a middle ground where a man can be romantically/sexually interested in a woman (or whatever combination of genders), respectfully ask that person if they are interested in them and accept the response if it is no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The Reading Eagle
    ‏Verified account @ReadingEagle
    55s56 seconds ago

The #MissAmerica Organization is dropping the swimsuit competition from its nationally televised broadcast. http://owl.li/X3hS30kltng
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    so the only part people watched. That's going to end well.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

I can't count the number of police videos I watch where women try that you can't touch me or you can't hit a woman **** and they get rekt. Some people would get a lot of enjoyment out of those videos but I personally hate seeing people get the **** kicked out of them and convicted of serious charges for ignorance that is taught to them in school. They are so used to that stuff working in school and vs everyone else but cops won't hesitate to beat the **** out them and then charge the 70 pound girl with assaulting him.

good example here.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 06-05-2018 at 07:59 AM.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    so the only part people watched. That's going to end well.
    isn't that the point ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    But of course... the beloved liberal Mr. Trudeau gets a different set of standards

his is about hypocrisy — not about what did or did not happen at a music festival 18 years ago.

It is about "believing women," until it happens to you; about taking all allegations of sexual misconduct seriously, except if they happen to pass some arbitrary expiration date. It is about employing an unwavering zero-tolerance policy, which, in practice, ends up showing some tolerance for the man at the top.

It is about having one set of standards for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and another set of standards to everyone else. That's the issue. Not what did or did not happen in Creston, B.C.

For the record, there is no dispute from the two parties in question that something happened at that music festival back when Trudeau was a 28-year-old schoolteacher, before he entered politics.

An editorial published at the time in the Creston Valley Advance accused Trudeau of "groping" a young reporter — an allegation the woman re-affirmed in a statement issued last week.

'I am confident that I did not act inappropriately,' Trudeau says of groping allegation

Trudeau gets cabinet member's support over handling of groping allegation

Trudeau initially and bizarrely claimed he did not recall any "negative interactions," then conceded that, yes, there was some sort of encounter, but he believes he did not act inappropriately. Nevertheless, Trudeau says he apologized at the time because he knows that "the same interactions can be experienced very differently from one person to the next."

The expectation now is that everyone just move on, in part, because the woman in question says she has put the ordeal behind her and just wants to move on. That much is understandable: This woman is now caught in an unwelcome political firestorm because of something that happened to her nearly 20 years ago. For that reason, many have insisted this incident be dropped altogether.

That would, however, create a terribly harmful precedent. Indeed, we should not ignore misconduct in cases where the target of an unwelcome advance wants her privacy. If nothing else, it would suggest that we cannot right a wrong unless a victim actively participates. But we should strive to be able to both protect women and to hold powerful men to account.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked for his reaction to a statement released by the reporter who alleged he groped her 18 years ago at a charity event. 2:58
    What's more, this is not a situation where an incident was dug up out of nowhere and put on the public record without the woman's permission. For better or worse, this encounter was already on the public record in the form of a published, public editorial. The suggestion that we put the genie back in the bottle now is moot.

Ironically, there is at least one recent occasion when a private allegation was put on the public record without the complainants' express permission: That is, in late 2014 when Trudeau went public with allegations against against MPs Scott Andrews and Massimo Pacetti, without telling the women involved — two NDP MPs — in advance. The women felt blindsided, according to the NDP whip at the time.

Trudeau is himself therefore guilty of publicizing a misconduct allegation without the complainants' permission, which makes the suggestion that we now drop the matter concerning the prime minister's conduct — conduct that was already put on the public record — rather rich. It's that conspicuous double-standard, rearing its head again.

Liberal MP Kent Hehr is now out of cabinet because of inappropriate words, though not physical contact. (CBC)
    The crux here is that the Trudeau and his defenders are asking for a type of leniency and consideration not afforded to other politicians similarly accused of misconduct. MP Kent Hehr, for example, is now out of cabinet because of inappropriate words, though not physical contact. And MPs Andrews and Pacetti were suspended first, investigated later, when allegations against them first surfaced.

Pacetti, in fact, has used the same defence that Trudeau is now employing in response to allegations that he acted inappropriately. Pacetti, who was accused of having sex without explicit consent with a female MP, has always maintained that he believed the sexual encounter, in which she provided the condom, was entirely consensual. She says it was not. To borrow Trudeau's words: the same interaction was viewed very differently from one person to the next.

This is not a judgment on whether the Pacetti incident was indeed consensual, or to suggest that groping and non-consensual sex are in any way on a par, but simply an observation that the excuse used in both cases — I didn't think I was doing anything wrong — was unacceptable in Pacetti's case (he was permanently removed from caucus), but is now permissible in Trudeau's.

Applying universal standards
    In the past, Trudeau has said that the same standards would apply to him if an accusation of sexual misconduct is levied his way. It appears he changed his mind.

Practically speaking, however, there is probably no point to launching a formal investigation of this allegation now. The most it would do is uncover a few additional details, for which Trudeau would then apologize, leaving us in the same place we are now. The prime minister will not suspend himself or — as been suggested by some fervent critics — resign.

If we really want to move forward, we don't need an investigation. We need an admission that these things are complicated. That "believe women" as a blanket approach to each and every accusation sounds good in theory, but can be problematic in practice. That we can take allegations extremely seriously without having to reflexively believe them. That punishing before investigating is wrong. That there are scales of wrongdoing, and that we can make room for people to learn from their mistakes, while simultaneously showing no tolerance for those who commit the worst ones.

The prime minister is now experiencing first-hand how a one-size-fits all approach to dealing with accusations of sexual misconduct is extremely fraught. But instead of conceding that admission, he is simply changing the standard to a one-size-fits-most: Everyone except the prime minister. That's the issue. It's the hypocrisy, not the act.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Every accuser should be believed! Except mine, shes a bitch.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

papa john got next

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sex...tats-1.4757705

Canadia finds 1 in 7 reported cases of sexual assault were determined to not have happened. This is relevant because of the propoganda put out that people dont lie about sexual assault/it making up like 1% of cases.

I am all for locking up rapists and throwing away the key but people who lie about a sexual assault should be treated very harshly. I dont mean a girl who was raped whose memory is bad and unknowingly gives false testimony I mean cases where its proveable beyond a doubt that there was no rape.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 07-23-2018 at 04:09 PM.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I just found out a friend of mine was just sentenced to 30 years to life. He was accused by his ex girlfriend of molesting her daughter 7 years ago. He says they are making it up because she is still bitter about the relationship. First trial was a hung jury. Second trial he got convicted. Apparently he didnt tell anyone because he thought there was no way he would be convicted. Went with a public defender......

Who knows what to believe. I helped another friend out after I was satisfied that he was innocent and later thats been proven right as the accuser was arrested for making a false rape claim when she was caught having sex in the park. Problem is he is already convicted which is twice as hard to overturn as it is to get a not guilty verdict. He said he has 30 days to appeal but he has no money now.

Last thing I ever want to do is help a child molestor but I really doubt he did it. He has 5 kids from 4 women and his current GF is a former beauty queen. He has never hurt for women.

It’s over."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    think how absurd you have to be to believe this to be true
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Last thing I ever want to do is help a child molestor but I really doubt he did it. He has 5 kids from 4 women and his current GF is a former beauty queen. He has never hurt for women.
    this is the equivalent of saying "that guy is a attractive, he doesn't need to rape"

as if any of that has anything to do with anything
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Neil Tyson DeGrasse follows Michael avenetti and demands that we must have evidence to make someone guilty of sexual assult.

I could be wrong here, but I suspect they previously sung the chorus of #believeallwomen

I'm glad were seeing the dangers of that mentality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Interesting you hold a Supreme Court nominee to the same standard as an ambulance chaser and a TV personality.
    Interesting indeed.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Interesting you hold a Supreme Court nominee to the same standard as an ambulance chaser and a TV personality.
    Interesting indeed.
    That is so far from the point that was made.

You never cease to surprise me