Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLBTR Top 50 Free-Agents With Predictions

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

MLBTR Top 50 Free-Agents With Predictions

Has us signing Moose (5/$85 million) and Tommy Hunter (2/$12 million). Expect us to be in on Frazier if we don't sign Moose.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

Quite sure that won't sit well with quite a few folks here, but interesting nevertheless.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Moose had a WAR of 1.8 this year. That really worth 17 millions a year?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Has us signing Moose (5/$85 million) and Tommy Hunter (2/$12 million). Expect us to be in on Frazier if we don't sign Moose.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

Quite sure that won't sit well with quite a few folks here, but interesting nevertheless.
    Gee. I hope not. Maybe Hunter, but not Moustakas for any length of time. I'd rather they went with Nunez. If they go for a reclamation project starter, I'd go with Tillman.

But I don't think we're in the position to go big in the FA market. Just the wrong direction.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    All indications are that we're not going to be competing for any big free agents this winter. If we do make any major additions it will likely be through trade.

Hunter I could see because one of the areas I have seen talk of picking up a free agent for is the pen. Still, $6 million a year for a reliever who we probably wouldn't want to be our closer is a bit high.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Hunter I could see because one of the areas I have seen talk of picking up a free agent for is the pen. Still, $6 million a year for a reliever who we probably wouldn't want to be our closer is a bit high.
    I don't love Hunter all that much, but $6 M for the reliever he's been the past two years is well below market value imo

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    No thanks to Moose. I would much rather see the Braves give Frazier 3/33 than Moose 5/85. I also liked the idea I've seen on these boards of Walker to 3B...not a bad idea at 2/20.

I also hope the Braves aren't really in on Arrieta. That contract is going to be absolutely brutal for a team.

I identified 4 BP arms I wanted the Braves to target. Here are their projected contracts:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post437690

Morrow: 3/24
    Neshek: 2/12
    Hunter: 2/12
    Smith: HM (less than 2/10)

I would be OK with any of those options at those projected contracts, though $24M is a big chunk for a team like the Braves to invest in a BP arm.

I also listed 4 SPs the Braves could pursue to replace Dickey (plus Chatwood who everyone else seems to really like):

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post436142

Cobb: 4/48
    Sabathia: 2/24
    Chatwood: 3/20
    Garcia: 2/16
    Chacin: 2/14

I still think Chacin will be the best bargain SP this offseason.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-02-2017 at 06:01 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Yuck....no long term commitments aside from our young guys.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    No thanks to Moose. I would much rather see the Braves give Frazier 3/33 than Moose 5/85. I also liked the idea I've seen on these boards of Walker to 3B...not a bad idea at 2/20.

I also hope the Braves aren't really in on Arrieta. That contract is going to be absolutely brutal for a team.

I identified 4 BP arms I wanted the Braves to target. Here are their projected contracts:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post437690

Morrow: 3/24
    Neshek: 2/12
    Hunter: 2/12
    Smith: HM (less than 2/10)

I would be OK with any of those options at those projected contracts, though $24M is a big chunk for a team like the Braves to invest in a BP arm.

I also listed 4 SPs the Braves could pursue to replace Dickey (plus Chatwood who everyone else seems to really like):

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post436142

Cobb: 4/48
    Sabathia: 2/24
    Chatwood: 3/20
    Garcia: 2/16
    Chacin: 2/14

I still think Chacin will be the best bargain SP this offseason.
    I have no idea if Walker would want to make the switch to 3B but he is my preferred target. He's a switch hitter. He has some pop. He's a team leader. He fits all the criteria outside of being a 2B. I think he could make the transfer, plus he's got a little time at 1B.

Give me Walker, Shaw, and McGhee and I think we're ready to go see what we got

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d love to get Morrow. I’d stay away fro the FA 3b. I’d rather trade for one instead.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I don't want Moose. However, if you look at his 2015 vs his 2017 are they really that different considering 2017 was coming off injury? Moose's offense was arguably better in 2017 but his defense fell off. Maybe he's headed to 1B or DH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't love Hunter all that much, but $6 M for the reliever he's been the past two years is well below market value imo
    It's like a Jaguar dealership having a tremendous sale. You might be able to get a Jag below market value but you still shouldn't be paying that much for a car.

I see Hunter as a luxury we don't need to be buying. Our money is better spent elsewhere.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    It's like a Jaguar dealership having a tremendous sale. You might be able to get a Jag below market value but you still shouldn't be paying that much for a car.

I see Hunter as a luxury we don't need to be buying. Our money is better spent elsewhere.

I do not see many places for the Braves to effectively spend money this offseason. My only hesitation would be the 2019 effect.

I think a lockdown pen is one of the few areas where the Braves could maybe squeeze some wins out of their present setup. Shortening games for the young starters (and preserving their inning load) seems like something that would be helpful.

The goal for this team would be to be theoretically in the wild card hunt into August.

The Braves could free up quite a bit of payroll if they want, but I don't see what they are going to spend it on. I think Moose would be a big mistake. I'd try 2019 or 2020 as my free agent year.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-03-2017), jpx7 (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I could see several deals on the bigger FA this offseason with a lot of teams saving their money till next years crop. Morrow would be my big deal of the offseason. Securing the pen is a big deal.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I've probably been the biggest "Go Get Moose" guy here, but I'd agree I'd prefer spreading the money out assuming they're going to spend any at all. However, I will say I'd prefer signing him rather than Arrieta - if you look closely you'll notice they mention us as a potential suitor for him depending on the price.

Since no one really knows who's making decisions or what they're likely to be, it's interesting to think about at least. If you play the game of "we're going to spend as much as MLBTR thinks we might", it opens up plenty of chances to think this team COULD be in the mix for 85-90 wins in 2018. Cap the amount of commitment at ~$110 million - the highest number they have us associated with (Arrieta and Hunter) and spread it out better.

1.) 3 years and $36 million for Frazier. Moose lite for less commitment.

2.) 4 years and $36 million for Addison Reed. Legitimate Closer when needed that won't bark if he's used in the 7th or 8th and Viz/Minter/Johnson are closing out games.

3.) 3 years and $18 million for Jake McGee. There's your lockdown pen - Viz/Minter/Reed/McGee/Ramirez/Freeman/Winkler/Johnson.

$90 million spent so far. Options...

1.) Use the entire $20 million left to try to entice an AL club to take Kemp on regardless of the return.

2.) Offer to pay Matt Adams' 2018 salary to the Rays in exchange for Jake Odorizzi. (Leaves you with around $9 million to spend on extensions.)

3.) Offer to pay $5 million of Markakis' 2018 salary to the Royals in exchange for Seuly Matias. (Leaves you with around $15 million to spend on extensions.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I do not see many places for the Braves to effectively spend money this offseason. My only hesitation would be the 2019 effect.

I think a lockdown pen is one of the few areas where the Braves could maybe squeeze some wins out of their present setup. Shortening games for the young starters (and preserving their inning load) seems like something that would be helpful.

The goal for this team would be to be theoretically in the wild card hunt into August.

The Braves could free up quite a bit of payroll if they want, but I don't see what they are going to spend it on. I think Moose would be a big mistake. I'd try 2019 or 2020 as my free agent year.
    I like the idea of an 8 man pen with 2 guys capable of going more than one inning to shorten the game and keep all arms fresh. For this to happen we'd need to have a starting 3b with Camargo and another supersub as part of a 4 man bench.

If we had a legit starting 3B and 2 back-end BP arms we could accomplish that and not spend too much money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Before I'd throw $6 million at Hunter, I'd probably throw that money into a deal to move Kemp.

One justification for signing Hunter is that if he does repeat what he did last year and we're not in it at the deadline, he'd be a very valuable commodity. I'm okay with putting payroll toward guys we can either keep if we're in the hunt or flip for something valuable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d offer up a package centered around Allard, Riley, and Anderson for Donaldson and Stroman. I know Donaldson is a FA next offseason but we’ll have the money for extend him for 3-4 years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    That deal would get you one or other. But definitely not both Stroman and Donaldson

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Jays are not selling. If the Braves want Stroman they will have to wait until the deadline if the Rays are out of contention.

I do agree with selling high on Riley as the central position prospect in any potential trade though. I also agree that Allard is the best pitching candidate to trade.

The Rays are not trading Odorizzi for Matt Adams, even if he plays for free. There are literally a dozen guys on the FA market that can produce the same offense as MAdams, and the Rays will get one of them for pennies. Continuing to suggest this trade, even after altering it by having the Braves eat money, demonstrates a complete and utter lack of understanding about player value.

The Braves are not going to give a BP arm $36M. They have never, ever, signed a FA BP arm to a contract even remotely resembling something like that. Even the $12M FA BP contracts for Hunter or Neshek that I'm in favor of will be a stretch.

I used to be on board with Frazier, but now I would prefer to give Camargo a shot. Buying Donaldson's decline years is a real possibility next off season.

If the Braves sign Arrieta...well...it wouldn't surprise me. The Braves are that dumb.

If the Braves are going to convert future wins into present wins, the obvious place to do that is in LF. Guys like Ozuna, Avi Garcia and Piscotty are the prime trade candidates, in that order of acquisition cost. I would only be in favor of trading for Ozuna if Prado comes with him as a way to lessen the return going to Miami.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-03-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    If the Braves sign Arrieta, I will have to find a different sport to follow.
    Coppy