Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yelich is now requesting a meeting with the FO to let them know he is unhappy per mlbtraderumors

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-18-2017), UNCBlue012 (12-19-2017)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Wouldn't you rather wait and get Charlie Blackmon in 2019 to have a Acuna, Inciarte, and Blackmon OF. Put someone like Donaldson at 3B and trade for young controllable arm. Yelich is a good piece, but Blackmon and Donaldson make our lineup a lot better. We will have plenty of money to acquire both. Freeman deserves to play with stars that can help him carry a team and God knows we deserve to watch a star rich team again.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    Wouldn't you rather wait and get Charlie Blackmon in 2019 to have a Acuna, Inciarte, and Blackmon OF. Put someone like Donaldson at 3B and trade for young controllable arm. Yelich is a good piece, but Blackmon and Donaldson make our lineup a lot better. We will have plenty of money to acquire both. Freeman deserves to play with stars that can help him carry a team and God knows we deserve to watch a star rich team again.
    Sure...if you think there is any way that the Braves could get both.

There are currently 12 teams with $80M+ available after next season. Who do you think they will choose to play for? A team with hopes of getting good or a NYY, Boston, LAA, LAD, CHI, STL, HOU, etc.

The key to the Braves success has to be jumping out in front with creative ways of getting stars (that you do not grow yourself). Think back amougst all of the history of the Braves, name the stars who came here to sign as FA in their prime. I can think of 1 - Maddox. i know you may think of Upton, but what a cluster that turned into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Yelich is now requesting a meeting with the FO to let them know he is unhappy per mlbtraderumors
    Obviously any team would love him, but who are the realistic teams that would pursue him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Obviously any team would love him, but who are the realistic teams that would pursue him?
    We would def be one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    No, bc Blackmon is 31 and his numbers outside of Coors aren’t that great. Yelich is the better player going forward no doubt. And his contract is a huge plus.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I don't see this as a time to sit and wait on 2019. It is being talked about like AA is now waiting with his pile of $$ on the FA class next year. While that sounds exciting, when have the Braves ever (in recent times) attracked big time FAs? Why would Harper or Manchado or Dondlason come to the ATL? I think that is the pipe dream that leaves us holding the bag. Remeber Derek Lowe?

I feel like now that he has made financial flexibility, he has to use the minors to strike on trade options with long term deals.

Yelich is the obvious choice...But with an outfield of Yelich (5 years), Ender (5 Years), Acuna (for life) we are set at OF for a while. Yelich would be the replacement of Markakis this year (salary wise).

We then need to find a 3B of the near and long term future. Could you talk to a Manchado about an trade extension. If you are willing to pay him 30+ x 10 years next summer, how about you agree this year on the extension and trade for him. The talk is a couple SP could get it done. How about a Allard, Anderson, Fried package? Maybe not, but I trust something is out there.

The real financial flexibility we have is Ender, Albies, Acuna, Gohara, Newk, Swanson, Carmargo, Allard, Soroka, Wright, etc will not make any money for 5 years.

Don't let financial flexibility lull you into thinking ATL became the destination for bi time talent. Never has been, never will be.

The best point here is why would the free agents choose Atlanta over other options and that is really what it might come down to as much as money. Atlanta will really need the young players to play well to help them pitch this offseason.

Even so, with the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies all eyeing this free agent class (along with the Nets, I would think) the odds of landing premium FA may be low absent an overpay.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Sure...if you think there is any way that the Braves could get both.

There are currently 12 teams with $80M+ available after next season. Who do you think they will choose to play for? A team with hopes of getting good or a NYY, Boston, LAA, LAD, CHI, STL, HOU, etc.

The key to the Braves success has to be jumping out in front with creative ways of getting stars (that you do not grow yourself). Think back amougst all of the history of the Braves, name the stars who came here to sign as FA in their prime. I can think of 1 - Maddox. i know you may think of Upton, but what a cluster that turned into.
    Blackmon is from GA, I like our chances of signing him. Maybe Riley takes over 3B by then and we can put money towards pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Blackmon is from GA, I like our chances of signing him. Maybe Riley takes over 3B by then and we can put money towards pitching.
    His career home/away splits are sobering.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Bravesguy, you have to go back further to find Braves teams trying to rebuild. I know Wren had a hard time, but way back in the 70s and 80s, we had no problem signing bigtime players. Andy Messersmith's signing actually is often cited as changing the free agent markets at the time.

With our young core, I'm sure AA with have not issues finding free agents to sign. He just has to do a much better job than Wren did.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Braves seem higher on Riley than anyone. By orders of magnitude

I’d rather get machado and if Riley is good put him in lf or 1b.

I did read that mocha do wants to move to ss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Riley has a monster season and shows he’s ready and we had a legitimate shot at Machado then Swanson would make a good trade piece. Not that we’ll have a shot at Machado

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Folks act like the Braves are in some unique position to sign these premium FAs. Every available FA is available because some team let them go and needs to replace them.

All the Braves have done is set themselves up to bid on the scraps after the big boys spend a combined $5 trillion on FAs. When the $200M-$400M contracts are finally doled out, the Braves can step in and grab a $100M FA, or a couple in the $50M - $75M range.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks act like the Braves are in some unique position to sign these premium FAs. Every available FA is available because some team let them go and needs to replace them.

All the Braves have done is set themselves up to bid on the scraps after the big boys spend a combined $5 trillion on FAs. When the $200M-$400M contracts are finally doled out, the Braves can step in and grab a $100M FA, or a couple in the $50M - $75M range.
    We could be players for Donaldson, Puig, Grandal, Blackmon, Pollock, Dozier. Plenty of good value, which I’d prefer over a 10 year mega deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I would go for Yelich depending on the price and I'd be more willing to trade Folty and others than Allard, Wright or Soroka. Gohara would also be a no go for me depending on his medicals (Cincy turned him down in a trade for Cozart a year ago due to medicals). Also, no way would I consider trading Acuna in such a trade.

That said, I think you could get something done with Yelich if willing to move Folty and others, I would even consider moving Newcomb or Teheran in such a trade. Though no all three of course. I'd also listen on Fried, Anderson, etc. in a trade for Yelich.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    We could be players for Donaldson, Puig, Grandal, Blackmon, Pollock, Dozier. Plenty of good value, which I’d prefer over a 10 year mega deal.
    I think you’ve pretty much nailed the aisle the Braves will be shopping in. They won’t be getting value though...that’s the exact opposite of what teams get on the FA market.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I think you’ve pretty much nailed the aisle the Braves will be shopping in. They won’t be getting value though...that’s the exact opposite of what teams get on the FA market.
    You’re right, was thinking still valuable players. Obviously FA isn’t particularly cost efficient.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts

The $100M scraps often provide better return for the $ than the $300M guys. Sometimes they work out, but the number of bad contracts teams are always trying to shed is a testament to how often they don't.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    The $100M scraps often provide better return for the $ than the $300M guys. Sometimes they work out, but the number of bad contracts teams are always trying to shed is a testament to how often they don't.
    The Braves haven’t had much luck with any FA contracts.

No need to try and spin the Braves buying lesser FAs as a good thing. We all get it, pozzy spin and all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    There's very little doubt that our best, and probably most logical, route will be to trade for a Yelich-type with our assets and then sign a long-term stud pitcher in free agency. May not work, but it's probably the best option.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Evad (12-19-2017)