Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves haven’t had much luck with any FA contracts.
    which has precisely nothing to do with FA signings moving forward.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I agree with the sentiment that AA isn't clearing payroll to go big in free agency next year. Everyone is going to get overpaid next year. We're not getting a Machado or Harper for sure. The most likely candidate is Donaldson if he had a good relatonship with AA and he's going to cost a ton and is 32. You're not getting value there.

I think it's just as likely we're clearing payroll to take on different payroll to get value in a player. I'd like to see us take on Chen's contract to get Yellich. He gets 10M this year then jumps up to 20M and 22M over the next 2 years. Yeah he's going to be on the DL most of the time but AA has seen that work in L.A. over the course of the season.

He could take on another oft injured pitcher's salary if it gets value from another player in return as well.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    While I don't think AA's "done", I'd agree he's pretty close to it. He has accomplished the toughest part of what needed to be accomplished right away. I could see a few things happening in the event the right opportunities arise...

1.) A solid right-handed bat (that isn't a defensive liability) is added on the cheap ($5 million range) for one year to start the season in LF. Think Howie Kendrick or Maybin. This will deepen the lineup by keeping Camargo and Swanson down in the 7 and 8 holes. When Acuna's called up, Markakis slides to LF and platoons with him. This obviously strengthens the bench at that point by giving you at least two legitimate pinch-hitters every night at that point (4th OF and backup C).

2.) Now that Boston's out on Hosmer, San Diego may be even more motivated to move Headley. I don't think AA would be inclined to take on his entire salary, but I think the money's there if he could do so without giving up much of a prospect. Maybe they'd be interested in Demeritte's power since they wouldn't be required to place him on their 40-Man Roster until next year at this point. Maybe he'd include a second-tier arm to get them to pay some of the money. I still like the idea of adding Nunez if you could get him on a 1 year/$5 million deal in the event you need to use Camargo at SS, but I'm fine with giving Johan the ABs at 3B this season if you have to. There's always the chance (as unlikely as it is) that Riley blows up out of the gate this season and pushes himself into the picture after the break. AA's never been shy about giving young players a shot when they deserve it, but I'm sure his preference is that that decision doesn't have to be made until next spring.

3.) Upgrade the pen only through trade. Otherwise I think the upgrades are already here. The addition of McCarthy means that Fried can be used out there (at least as long as Brandon's healthy). Kazmir's obviously a wildcard in that role, and you've still got Whitley, Lindgren, and Biddle who could be really good if things go your way. All 5 of those guys are likely better than Brothers and Jackson, and we're liable to see Soroka there late in the season to help manage his innings and keep his clock from starting until 2019.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I'd trade for Yelich given his contract. Then go after a C or 3B next winter, or a SP.

Wouldnt get into a bidding war for the OF'ers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    While I don't think AA's "done", I'd agree he's pretty close to it. He has accomplished the toughest part of what needed to be accomplished right away. I could see a few things happening in the event the right opportunities arise...

1.) A solid right-handed bat (that isn't a defensive liability) is added on the cheap ($5 million range) for one year to start the season in LF. Think Howie Kendrick or Maybin. This will deepen the lineup by keeping Camargo and Swanson down in the 7 and 8 holes. When Acuna's called up, Markakis slides to LF and platoons with him. This obviously strengthens the bench at that point by giving you at least two legitimate pinch-hitters every night at that point (4th OF and backup C).

2.) Now that Boston's out on Hosmer, San Diego may be even more motivated to move Headley. I don't think AA would be inclined to take on his entire salary, but I think the money's there if he could do so without giving up much of a prospect. Maybe they'd be interested in Demeritte's power since they wouldn't be required to place him on their 40-Man Roster until next year at this point. Maybe he'd include a second-tier arm to get them to pay some of the money. I still like the idea of adding Nunez if you could get him on a 1 year/$5 million deal in the event you need to use Camargo at SS, but I'm fine with giving Johan the ABs at 3B this season if you have to. There's always the chance (as unlikely as it is) that Riley blows up out of the gate this season and pushes himself into the picture after the break. AA's never been shy about giving young players a shot when they deserve it, but I'm sure his preference is that that decision doesn't have to be made until next spring.

3.) Upgrade the pen only through trade. Otherwise I think the upgrades are already here. The addition of McCarthy means that Fried can be used out there (at least as long as Brandon's healthy). Kazmir's obviously a wildcard in that role, and you've still got Whitley, Lindgren, and Biddle who could be really good if things go your way. All 5 of those guys are likely better than Brothers and Jackson, and we're liable to see Soroka there late in the season to help manage his innings and keep his clock from starting until 2019.
    Wow, this is the first intelligent post I've seen from you in 3 years. Well done!

Must be because you regurgitated ideas I've been stating the last 2 months.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Wow, this is the first intelligent post I've seen from you in 3 years. Well done!

Must be because you regurgitated ideas I've been stating the last 2 months.
    Holy ****. Did The earth shift off its axis or was that encheff almost complementing clv. Better get in my prepper bunker because something is not right.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Holy ****. Did The earth shift off its axis or was that encheff almost complementing clv. Better get in my prepper bunker because something is not right.
    Complement? He pretty much claimed the credit for clv’s post lol

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-19-2017), Garmel (12-19-2017), nsacpi (12-19-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It was as close as it will get.
    Coppy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It was as close as it will get.
    When the best ideas a guy comes up with are:

- Jenkins for Sale
    - MAdams for Odorizzi
    - The Braves left DPete and TD off the 40 man roster to gauge trade interest

It's probably best that person stick to regurgitating the ideas of others.

Realizing he is stupid and should stick to rewriting the ideas of others is probably the smartest thing he's done since going into double-wide realty in the South.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    He should.

Oh wait, he's consistently mentioned Maybin and Kendrick (or then again, maybe not - actually the next time will be the first time). He's also been touting Whitley, Lindgren, and Biddle as upgrades to the pen (umm...well...). He's absolutely pitched Demeritte and a second-tier arm for Headley almost every day (except for the fact that we can't afford to add anything since we're "broke").

Really sucks to get caught plagiarizing.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    He should.

Oh wait, he's consistently mentioned Maybin and Kendrick (or then again, maybe not - actually the next time will be the first time). He's also been touting Whitley, Lindgren, and Biddle as upgrades to the pen (umm...well...). He's absolutely pitched Demeritte and a second-tier arm for Headley almost every day (except for the fact that we can't afford to add anything since we're "broke").

Really sucks to get caught plagiarizing.
    The hell...?

I've called for a RHed 4th OFer for about 14 months now. I've talked about a platoon partner for Markakis for weeks. Someone else mentioned Maybin explicitly a few days ago.

I have stated many times Headley is the perfect choice for a 1 year stop gap at 3B, and should cost almost nothing to acquire. Several others came to same conclusion even before the Yankees got Stanton. The Braves can't afford to take the whole contract now though.

Are you saying you came up with the idea that Whitley, Lindgren and Biddle are upgrades for the BP when they are already in the organization? What sense does that even make? Does it even qualify as an idea?

What about your suggestion the Braves spend $50M+ on BP guys like Reed and McGee? Where did that idea go?

I take it back, you aren't even smart enough regurgitate the ideas of others. I'm surprised you were able to pass the 3 week online course that qualifies you for your profession.

Wow...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-19-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Ok. I feel safe to come out of my bunker. Things seem back to normal now.
    Coppy

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-19-2017), Jaw (12-19-2017), jpx7 (12-19-2017), Tapate50 (12-19-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    With the Sox likely closing in on JD Martinez, I'd be asking what the price for JBJ is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    With the Sox likely closing in on JD Martinez, I'd be asking what the price for JBJ is.
    For LF or move inciarte?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    For LF or move inciarte?
    For LF

JBJ, Ender, and Acuna would be an extremely good outfield defense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I think the plan is to sign JD to play 1b.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    He takes credit for the sun rising in the east.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The hell...?

I've called for a RHed 4th OFer for about 14 months now. I've talked about a platoon partner for Markakis for weeks. Someone else mentioned Maybin explicitly a few days ago.

I have stated many times Headley is the perfect choice for a 1 year stop gap at 3B, and should cost almost nothing to acquire. Several others came to same conclusion even before the Yankees got Stanton. The Braves can't afford to take the whole contract now though.

Are you saying you came up with the idea that Whitley, Lindgren and Biddle are upgrades for the BP when they are already in the organization? What sense does that even make? Does it even qualify as an idea?

What about your suggestion the Braves spend $50M+ on BP guys like Reed and McGee? Where did that idea go?

I take it back, you aren't even smart enough regurgitate the ideas of others. I'm surprised you were able to pass the 3 week online course that qualifies you for your profession.

Wow...

Really funny - that was me that mentioned Maybin you genius - first time anyone's brought his name up. I also happen to be the first to mention Kendrick.

You're absolutely right - you're the ONLY person who ever mentioned Headley as a potential fit.

Whether Whitley, Lindgren, and/or Biddle are upgrades from within or not, you certainly haven't mentioned them as such.

Are you the official blackjack dealer for the Trump administration? Facts actually matter everywhere else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Really funny - that was me that mentioned Maybin you genius - first time anyone's brought his name up. I also happen to be the first to mention Kendrick.

You're absolutely right - you're the ONLY person who ever mentioned Headley as a potential fit.

Whether Whitley, Lindgren, and/or Biddle are upgrades from within or not, you certainly haven't mentioned them as such.

Are you the official blackjack dealer for the Trump administration? Facts actually matter everywhere else.
    Umm, no. Southcrack first proposed Maybin, and it is a good idea:

Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The other two interesting ones to me are Cam Maybin and Carlos Gomez.
    You even quoted his idea in a subsequent post, so you knew you weren't the first one to come up with the idea.

I never claimed I was the only one calling for Headley, as evidenced by me literally saying, "Several others came to the same conclusion even before the Yankees got Stanton".

What were you saying about facts mattering?

Have you ever produced an idea on your own that wasn't laughably stupid?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-19-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Before you post any opinions, remember that Enscheff remembers everything that has ever been said, who said it an when.... So post with care!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (12-19-2017), The Chosen One (12-19-2017), thewupk (12-19-2017)