Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Before you post any opinions, remember that Enscheff remembers everything that has ever been said, who said it an when.... So post with care!
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I would like officially apologize to Southcack77 for "stealing" his Maybin idea - non-newbies are certainly aware of the fact that I've never in my life been a Cam supporter or fan. Hate that I missed that post - I'd have certainly given it a thumbs-up, liked it or whatever. Won't happen again - I'll make sure to research every post in the history of the board before posting anything that anyone else might have suggested - as soon as I have 18 hours a day to spend here.

Who in the *ell am I kidding - there are one or two more important things happening every once in awhile. Good catch if you posted him as an option before me - just make sure to link it constantly down the road so you get full credit.

We're all well-aware that the only "good" ideas come from the almighty blackjack dealer and everyone else here simply poached them from her - I swear I've met women who are owed years worth of child support who *itch and whine less. At least one can understand their reason for doing so.

Good god man, are you spending the fortune you've told everyone you've made on the Cheetos you eat while sitting on your couch in your drawers and logging every post on this message board??? That's a *elluva lot of money spent on pencils and legal pads. Keep doing what you're doing - the number of references you keep adding to your resume are definitely going to make a difference when you apply to be the "smartest guy who can look *hit up on the internet".
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-19-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    So the Orioles are looking for two starting pitchers that they "can control for the next 4-5 years" in exchange for Machado according to the Baltimore Sun. Considering that the Braves might currently have some payroll space and just added McCarthy and potentially Kazmir, would you consider sending them Folty and Newk? Machado certainly fills the short term hole at 3rd and would bring some excitement to 2018 for the casual fan. BUT, if you can't sign him long term then you've paid a steep price. Looking at 2019 finances it certainly looks like the Braves could sign him long term from a compensation standpoint. But then the question is should they? If he has a similar year to 2017 he probably gets a 10 year $250M deal with an opt out after 3 years. If he has a year similar to 2016 he probably gets a 10 year $300M+ deal with an opt out after 3 years. On the one hand, he's the RH bookend bat to pair with Freeman and he can play 3B with pretty excellent defense. OTOH he has been talking about wanting to play short again. I have seen somewhere that he likes Atlanta. But I bet he likes money more.

trading Folty and Newk would put pressure on 2018 from a pitching standpoint. It would mean you would likely start the year: Teheran, McCarthy, Gohara, Fried, Sims/Kazmir

You're probably OK in 2019 and beyond from a SP standpoint unless the farm totally flops.

And you could always flip Machado at the deadline if necessary.

I admit I'm intrigued by adding a 25 YO bookend to pair with Freeman. But I think to do it you would have to be serious about re-signing or extending him with a plan to trade him at the deadline if you can't get it done.

Maybe offer Folty, Newk, Markakis for Machado and see what they say.

CF Inciarte
    2B Albies
    3B Machado
    1B Freeman
    C Flowers/Suzuki
    RF Cargo on a pillow deal
    LF Adams/Acuna
    SS Swanson

I guess it depends on how much you believe in the long term of Folty and Newk...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    So the Orioles are looking for two starting pitchers that they "can control for the next 4-5 years" in exchange for Machado according to the Baltimore Sun. Considering that the Braves might currently have some payroll space and just added McCarthy and potentially Kazmir, would you consider sending them Folty and Newk? Machado certainly fills the short term hole at 3rd and would bring some excitement to 2018 for the casual fan. BUT, if you can't sign him long term then you've paid a steep price. Looking at 2019 finances it certainly looks like the Braves could sign him long term from a compensation standpoint. But then the question is should they? If he has a similar year to 2017 he probably gets a 10 year $250M deal with an opt out after 3 years. If he has a year similar to 2016 he probably gets a 10 year $300M+ deal with an opt out after 3 years. On the one hand, he's the RH bookend bat to pair with Freeman and he can play 3B with pretty excellent defense. OTOH he has been talking about wanting to play short again. I have seen somewhere that he likes Atlanta. But I bet he likes money more.

trading Folty and Newk would put pressure on 2018 from a pitching standpoint. It would mean you would likely start the year: Teheran, McCarthy, Gohara, Fried, Sims/Kazmir

You're probably OK in 2019 and beyond from a SP standpoint unless the farm totally flops.

And you could always flip Machado at the deadline if necessary.

I admit I'm intrigued by adding a 25 YO bookend to pair with Freeman. But I think to do it you would have to be serious about re-signing or extending him with a plan to trade him at the deadline if you can't get it done.

Maybe offer Folty, Newk, Markakis for Machado and see what they say.

CF Inciarte
    2B Albies
    3B Machado
    1B Freeman
    C Flowers/Suzuki
    RF Cargo on a pillow deal
    LF Adams/Acuna
    SS Swanson

I guess it depends on how much you believe in the long term of Folty and Newk...
    I don’t see the Braves as a realistic destination for Machado, but I do agree that they are a prime candidate to give up 2 pitchers with lots of control.

Machado’s surplus value is probably in the range of $40M+, which lines up very nicely with 2 of Newk/Fried/Folty.

So the logical answer is a 3 team trade. What contender needs 1 year of Machado, and has 1-2 players worth $40M+ they can spare at position of need for the Braves?

Cubs are in on Machado. Maybe something centered around Happ?

Red Sox like him too. Maybe something centered around JBJ if they sign JDM?

Cards would probably like Machado, but I can’t think of a package they could put together that would be good enough.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don’t see the Braves as a realistic destination for Machado, but I do agree that they are a prime candidate to give up 2 pitchers with lots of control.

Machado’s surplus value is probably in the range of $40M+, which lines up very nicely with 2 of Newk/Fried/Folty.

So the logical answer is a 3 team trade. What contender needs 1 year of Machado, and has 1-2 players worth $40M+ they can spare at position of need for the Braves?

Cubs are in on Machado. Maybe something centered around Happ?

Red Sox like him too. Maybe something centered around JBJ if they sign JDM?

Cards would probably like Machado, but I can’t think of a package they could put together that would be good enough.
    Cards: Carson Kelly, Jack Flaherty and Delvin Perez. Flaherty replaces one of the arms, Kelly becomes catcher in waiting, Perez slots as a long time potential Swanson replacement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Happ or JBJ would be fantastic additions. Acquiring Machado would be Teixiera all over again, the Braves would not (and should not) re-sign him.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I'd make a play for JBJ if he got traded and they got JD.

He's one of the best defensive outfielders i've ever seen. I'd prefer Yelich though.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I’d prefer Yelich over JBJ too. Rusney Castillo had a pretty good year in AAA last year. They just kept him down to avoid going over the luxury tax last year. They plan on going over this year, but I’m sure they’d like to get out of that $38m owed over the next 3 years. Maybe they’d package Castillo and JBJ if they sign JDM. Opens up money and a spot in one trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/st...05257014980609

Wow. The Orioles are in a truly awful spot.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/st...05257014980609

Wow. The Orioles are in a truly awful spot.
    I'd never wish injuries on anybody, but if an owner deserves to get screwed it's Angelos. I've felt bad for Orioles fans for years - having him as your owner is worse than having Liberty.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Before you post any opinions, remember that Enscheff remembers everything that has ever been said, who said it an when.... So post with care!
    Yeah, that skill is worth $200/hour.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Yeah, that skill is worth $200/hour.
    200 rupee.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (12-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Arroyo, Span only names mentioned so far.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Now THIS is interesting to consider:

Dave Cameron
    1:03 Frazier currently doesn't have a job or any suitors. The 3B FA market is overcrowded and there aren't that many buyers for the position. He could easily end up getting a 1 year deal in February at this rate.
    1:04 So, no, this isn't the same thing as signing Frazier.

I have the Braves at $107M or $115M depending on how the team is handling Kazmir's deferred money.

If Frazier is sitting there in February willing to take a 1 year deal, do the Braves jump at the chance?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-20-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Dave Cameron
    1:03 Frazier currently doesn't have a job or any suitors. The 3B FA market is overcrowded and there aren't that many buyers for the position. He could easily end up getting a 1 year deal in February at this rate.

I have the Braves at $107M or $115M depending on how the team is handling Kazmir's deferred money.

If Frazier is sitting there in February willing to take a 1 year deal, do the Braves jump at the chance?
    Yes. I'd offer him a 2 year deal now.

I like Riley, but power hitters rarely ever make it to the majors until about 23. There's no reason to be handing him the 3B job in 2019 right now when he's only had a couple hundred AB's above A ball.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2017), jpx7 (12-20-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If I could get Frazier on a 1 year deal or a 1+1 I would do it in a heartbeat. I've been against big FA acquisitions this offseason partly because I didn't think we could afford it and partly because I thought it would take a longer commitment. But I didn't realize just how oversaturated the 3rd base market has gotten. A 1 or a 1+1 would be an obvious win in my opinion

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-20-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Dave Cameron

I will be very upset if they do not offer Frazier and he takes a one year deal. This Riley thing is stupid. AA doesn't know enough to bank on Riley who has played half a year in double A. Get Frazier for a one year deal for 10 million with a team option for 20 million. We have another year of control we won't use and his agent can say he got a 30 million dollar deal. You can even let Comargo play 1/5 days to rest the old guy. Maybe even flip him at the deadline if we suck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I will be very upset if they do not offer Frazier and he takes a one year deal. This Riley thing is stupid. AA doesn't know enough to bank on Riley who has played half a year in double A. Get Frazier for a one year deal for 10 million with a team option for 20 million. We have another year of control we won't use and his agent can say he got a 30 million dollar deal. You can even let Comargo play 1/5 days to rest the old guy. Maybe even flip him at the deadline if we suck.
    I'm not so sure the Braves can afford to add $10M in 2018 as things currently stand.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm not so sure the Braves can afford to add $10M in 2018 as things currently stand.
    They can. I'm not sure they will. I still think Neck and Tehran are gone by the end of the year and then it would be an easy yes.

They could get a 2-3 war 3B for under market value....I'm not sure how you can not do that and look your fans in the eye and say this year matters.