User Tag List

Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 1145

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

  1. #401
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    swamps of S. Ga
    Posts
    574
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 139 Times in 82 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam Freeman avoids Arbitration

    From MLBTR

    Braves lefty reliever Sam Freeman has agreed to a $1.075MM salary for the 2017 season, tweets Nightengale. After bouncing to the Braves, his fourth team in four years, Freeman turned in a terrific season and looks to have secured some stability heading into 2018. He’d been projected to earn $1.2MM.


    Folty, Winkler and Vizcaino remain unsigned and face exchange of Arby figures if not signed by Fri.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 01-11-2018 at 07:41 PM.

  2. #402
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine Winkler winning an arbitration case with the amount of production the Braves have gotten out of him.

  3. #403
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    5,244
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Sam Freeman avoids Arbitration

    From MLBTR

    Braves lefty reliever Sam Freeman has agreed to a $1.075MM salary for the 2017 season, tweets Nightengale. After bouncing to the Braves, his fourth team in four years, Freeman turned in a terrific season and looks to have secured some stability heading into 2018. He’d been projected to earn $1.2MM.


    Folty, Winkler and Vizcaino remain unsigned and face exchange of Arby figures if not signed by Fri.
    And all three would be smart to come to an agreement rather than go before a panel - AA's new guys are likely to beat their agents if push comes to shove.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though. (2017 Draft Thread)

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team. (What's the best we could hope for in 2018?)


    The Blackjack Dealer

  4. #404
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12,142
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    I can't imagine Winkler winning an arbitration case with the amount of production the Braves have gotten out of him.
    They will be arguing over about $50k. That's pocket change for the Braves and not worth the time it would take to prepare and present a case.

    Just get the deals done and throw these players a few extra bucks if need be.
    "I analyzed Teheran's motion. He will be a CYA candidate in 2018-2020, and will be an extension candidate. Do not trade him" -GovClintonTyree 12/17/15

    "Leave the board bet based on Acunas total WAR next season?" -Enscheff 7/28/17
    "I will bet you that he has a 30/30 year" -SJ24 (aka Taylor Swift) 7/28/17
    "Deal" -Enscheff 7/28/17

    “Matt Adams to the Tampa Bay Rays for Jake Odorizzi makes too much sense not to happen” -clvclv 10/17/17
    Matt Adams non-tendered by Braves 12/2/17

  5. #405
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to mlbtraderumors.com, Winkler and Braves agreed to a $610K deal.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Evad For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (01-12-2018)

  7. #406
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And according to Heyman, Braves and Viz agreed to a $3.4M deal.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Evad For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (01-12-2018)

  9. #407
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12,142
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    And according to Heyman, Braves and Viz agreed to a $3.4M deal.
    Nice. Every deal so far has came under projections.

    A small win for sure, but a win nonetheless.
    "I analyzed Teheran's motion. He will be a CYA candidate in 2018-2020, and will be an extension candidate. Do not trade him" -GovClintonTyree 12/17/15

    "Leave the board bet based on Acunas total WAR next season?" -Enscheff 7/28/17
    "I will bet you that he has a 30/30 year" -SJ24 (aka Taylor Swift) 7/28/17
    "Deal" -Enscheff 7/28/17

    “Matt Adams to the Tampa Bay Rays for Jake Odorizzi makes too much sense not to happen” -clvclv 10/17/17
    Matt Adams non-tendered by Braves 12/2/17

  10. #408
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,378
    Thanks
    4,333
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going to arb with Folty.

  11. #409
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Heyman, Folty filed at $3.3M and Braves offered $3.2.

  12. #410
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,973
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 449 Times in 288 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    According to Heyman, Folty filed at $3.3M and Braves offered $3.2.
    Very petty.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

    buck75 (01-12-2018)

  14. #411
    NL Rookie of the Year dak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 686 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AA and Minasian held a Q&A for season ticket holders today. There are a couple of first-hand accounts at the link below. Love AA's passion for defense. Also appreciated seeing the note on emphasizing use of analytics to make the players you already have "better".

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm..._aa_and_perry/

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (01-12-2018)

  16. #412
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,973
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 449 Times in 288 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refreshing to see the Braves enter the 21st century.....18 years late.

  17. #413
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,966
    Thanks
    6,861
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    AA and Minasian held a Q&A for season ticket holders today. There are a couple of first-hand accounts at the link below. Love AA's passion for defense. Also appreciated seeing the note on emphasizing use of analytics to make the players you already have "better".

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm..._aa_and_perry/
    "He also mentioned a little more specifically about how he is going to be using analytics with the Braves. He said it's all about improving the players we already have. Making each guy better, and utilizing them the best possible way. Instead of going out and getting the top relievers available, AA will emphasize using our current relievers in their best statistically-proven situation. I was speaking with one of the A-List reps and she told me that before AA came along, the Braves were one of the lowest organizations in the league when it came to analytics. We were basically ignoring it. Now that AA is here, he has pushed McGuirk to allow for new jobs in the FO focusing on the analytics. She said we hired about 5 guys for the jobs."

    Translation: Before AA the Braves were just like the old Arizona D'Backs that also had to clean house to turn things around. Hopefully we can do it as fast as they did as far making the playoffs.

  18. #414
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,966
    Thanks
    6,861
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    According to Heyman, Folty filed at $3.3M and Braves offered $3.2.
    Didn't you mean 2.3M vs 2.2M? MLBTR: "Foltynewicz filed at $2.3MM, Atlanta countered at $2.2MM (per Heyman, via Twitter)"

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

    buck75 (01-13-2018)

  20. #415
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    12,449
    Thanks
    853
    Thanked 3,457 Times in 2,206 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    "He also mentioned a little more specifically about how he is going to be using analytics with the Braves. He said it's all about improving the players we already have. Making each guy better, and utilizing them the best possible way. Instead of going out and getting the top relievers available, AA will emphasize using our current relievers in their best statistically-proven situation. I was speaking with one of the A-List reps and she told me that before AA came along, the Braves were one of the lowest organizations in the league when it came to analytics. We were basically ignoring it. Now that AA is here, he has pushed McGuirk to allow for new jobs in the FO focusing on the analytics. She said we hired about 5 guys for the jobs."

    Translation: Before AA the Braves were just like the old Arizona D'Backs that also had to clean house to turn things around. Hopefully we can do it as fast as they did as far making the playoffs.
    Not surprising and what some of us have believed for some time now.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (01-12-2018)

  22. #416
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12,142
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    According to Heyman, Folty filed at $3.3M and Braves offered $3.2.
    Asinine to go to arbitration over that. Give him the extra $100k for crying out loud.

  23. #417
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12,142
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Not surprising and what some of us have believed for some time now.
    Where are all the posters claiming that the Braves old FO knew everything we knew?

    It’s probable they had no idea how much surplus value the premature Swanson and Albies promotions cost the organization.

  24. #418
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that AA is GM are we still going to operate as a “File and Trial” team. I’ve always thought it was a bad management strategy.

  25. #419
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Didn't you mean 2.3M vs 2.2M? MLBTR: "Foltynewicz filed at $2.3MM, Atlanta countered at $2.2MM (per Heyman, via Twitter)"
    Yup.. my bad. Don’t know where I got $3.3M and $3.2M from.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Evad For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (01-12-2018)

  27. #420
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    5,244
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Now that AA is GM are we still going to operate as a “File and Trial” team. I’ve always thought it was a bad management strategy.
    Have to disagree.

    If you pay your representation to scratch and claw for every last dime like Folty did, you better make *amn sure your agent is smarter than the team's front office guys - especially when it's over something as miniscule (relatively speaking as it is in his case) when you're gambling that you might bite the hand that feeds you.

    It's absolutely the players' right to present their case, but they better be sure they're going to win if it goes to a hearing because the team remembers that when opportunities for extensions come up. If you couldn't get them to budge a little (even less than the halfway point between the sides) and you blow out your elbow this season, you're *ucked. About the only team we heard that was going to negotiate after today was the Orioles (and that was because they were already close to hammering things out - and actually did before the deadline).

    File-or-trial is likely to become the norm for everyone - especially as the franchises get smarter. Borass clients like Martinez threatening to hold out into camp (or longer) are playing with fire - if the Red Sox call his bluff and go to Plan B because they KNOW their offer is the best out there, they've screwed themselves by not taking it. Folty's in an even tougher situation because he can't jump ship even if someone else would pony up that extra $100K.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though. (2017 Draft Thread)

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team. (What's the best we could hope for in 2018?)


    The Blackjack Dealer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •