User Tag List

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 501 to 520 of 520

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

  1. #501
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    9,595
    Thanks
    568
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Rather have Cain for sure. But if not Cain or Frazier on a backloaded deal, then I'd rather take a chance on Joey Bats or CarGo on a 1 year deal with a mutual option than sign journeyman guys like A-Jax or similar players. I want no part of Gomez either.
    I just don't see these guys being viable with where the payroll is at. The only way we could get someone like Cain is paying him pennies in 2018 and backload the rest of it. And I don't see someone like Joey Bats or Cargo signing for pennies in 2018. Maybe the do though. It's been a strange market.

  2. #502
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,603
    Thanks
    6,375
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I just don't see these guys being viable with where the payroll is at. The only way we could get someone like Cain is paying him pennies in 2018 and backload the rest of it. And I don't see someone like Joey Bats or Cargo signing for pennies in 2018. Maybe the do though. It's been a strange market.
    Yea, I doubt it too since it seems our payroll is about maxed out. I could see us signing someone like Nunez for third on a two year deal for the right price. He is not a good defender but third seems to be where he is okay at least. He had a 0 DRS there last year and only -1 DRS in the last four or five seasons playing there off and on. He has been worse at every other position, but can at least play all over if needed.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-19-2018 at 03:43 PM.

  3. #503
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,948
    Thanks
    671
    Thanked 737 Times in 495 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I just don't see these guys being viable with where the payroll is at. The only way we could get someone like Cain is paying him pennies in 2018 and backload the rest of it. And I don't see someone like Joey Bats or Cargo signing for pennies in 2018. Maybe the do though. It's been a strange market.
    We don't really know what payroll is though. Just speculation on your guys part. I'm sure we don't have much, but AA has stated he still wants to add a 3b, OFer, and a pitcher. Certainly you would expect to spend around 10 million or so on those additions unless they're bringing in ST invitee types of guys.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (01-19-2018)

  5. #504
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,341
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 283 Times in 218 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We don't really know what payroll is though. Just speculation on your guys part. I'm sure we don't have much, but AA has stated he still wants to add a 3b, OFer, and a pitcher. Certainly you would expect to spend around 10 million or so on those additions unless they're bringing in ST invitee types of guys.
    Likely have between 10 and 15 million to fill those spots, which isn't a whole lot of money really.

  6. #505
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    4,647
    Thanks
    2,755
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    21
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Likely have between 10 and 15 million to fill those spots, which isn't a whole lot of money really.
    Maybe not, but Nunez for $5-$7 million and Maybin for $5-$7 million makes this a *elluva lot better team. Just me, but I don't understand the reasoning behind adding another wildcard arm - you're paying Kazmir anyway, just see if he has anything left.

    If there really is around $15 million available, go get Frazier or CarGo for $12 million and see if someone's left when the music stops and camp opens. Even if you used all the rest of the money to get Frazier on a one-year deal, you could live with a Tucker/Adams platoon in LF until Acuna's called up.
    Editor/Columnist
    When Sid Slid
    https://whensidslidcronies.wordpress.com/


    @clvclvWSS on Twitter

  7. #506
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,544
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 163 Times in 121 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my question:
    If the Braves find this to be a favorable market to sign a few guys compared to next year. Would we be able to borrow from next yearís payroll.

    I feel like we could move Julio pretty easily if needed.

    I just feel like next year...all the great players will sign huge deals that we canít compete with. This might actually end up being THE right year for free agency.

    I would much rather sign guys then trade away the farm for them!!

  8. #507
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,341
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 283 Times in 218 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So my question:
    If the Braves find this to be a favorable market to sign a few guys compared to next year. Would we be able to borrow from next year’s payroll.

    I feel like we could move Julio pretty easily if needed.

    I just feel like next year...all the great players will sign huge deals that we can’t compete with. This might actually end up being THE right year for free agency.

    I would much rather sign guys then trade away the farm for them!!
    Borrow from next year is how I interpret backloaded contracts that AA was talking about, but I really don't understand who is worth doing that for this year.

  9. #508
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    4,647
    Thanks
    2,755
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    21
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So my question:
    If the Braves find this to be a favorable market to sign a few guys compared to next year. Would we be able to borrow from next year’s payroll.

    I feel like we could move Julio pretty easily if needed.

    I just feel like next year...all the great players will sign huge deals that we can’t compete with. This might actually end up being THE right year for free agency.

    I would much rather sign guys then trade away the farm for them!!
    The interview with AA the other day made it SOUND like that's a possibility IF the right situation falls into their laps. Given the market, there isn't really a reason to sign somebody - YET. Someone mentioned earlier today that Borass is liable to sign his guys to pillow contracts this winter and make next year's free-agent class twice as big a monster as it already is. If he did that, we'd make as much sense as a landing spot for someone like Moustakas as anyone out there (assuming they can do that), but if the Yankees are serious about getting under the cap giving him $20 million doesn't really work. Kansas City isn't likely to take any of their guys back on pillow deals given their finances. Arizona might be able to find a way to take Martinez back on a 1/$25 million deal, it would make plenty of sense for the Cubs to bring Arrieta back for one year, Cain would make plenty of sense for the Giants (or us or a lot of other teams) on a 1 year deal if you didn't have to give up a pick, etc..

    Unless Frazier just comes out and says he'll take a one year deal, I don't see AA signing anyone until the dam breaks at this point.
    Editor/Columnist
    When Sid Slid
    https://whensidslidcronies.wordpress.com/


    @clvclvWSS on Twitter

  10. #509
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,028
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Borrow from next year is how I interpret backloaded contracts that AA was talking about, but I really don't understand who is worth doing that for this year.
    Maybe Cain? I canít see the Braves giving up a pick for him though.

    We are probably looking at something very close to the opening day roster already.

  11. #510
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    961
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 275 Times in 169 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Maybe Cain? I canít see the Braves giving up a pick for him though.

    We are probably looking at something very close to the opening day roster already.
    Probably, but itís really hard to say that with the league wide inactivity.

  12. #511
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,603
    Thanks
    6,375
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last interview I heard with AA didn't make it sound like we have 10-15 million left to spend.

    That interview is linked on this page: https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/1/1...s-ronald-acuna

  13. #512
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,341
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 283 Times in 218 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The last interview I heard with AA didn't make it sound like we have 10-15 million left to spend.

    That interview is linked on this page: https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/1/1...s-ronald-acuna

    I looked for it but could not find the actual audio. I'd like to get the comment in context.

    I think he's definitely saying they can't afford any of the bigger ticket guys without backloading.

    Whether he means they can't afford anyone at all for their remaining holes -- I don't know. My best guess is they have some money left to spend based on a 115m estimate of where they are currently, but not a whole lot.

    I still am holding out some hope for a minor acquisition or two. But could well be there aren't going to be any signings. They can roll with the pen they have, and just use in-house OF for the 4th OF role and use someone in-house for the backup corner in-field. Ruiz probably.

  14. #513
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,603
    Thanks
    6,375
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I looked for it but could not find the actual audio. I'd like to get the comment in context.

    I think he's definitely saying they can't afford any of the bigger ticket guys without backloading.

    Whether he means they can't afford anyone at all for their remaining holes -- I don't know. My best guess is they have some money left to spend based on a 115m estimate of where they are currently, but not a whole lot.

    I still am holding out some hope for a minor acquisition or two. But could well be there aren't going to be any signings. They can roll with the pen they have, and just use in-house OF for the 4th OF role and use someone in-house for the backup corner in-field. Ruiz probably.
    Here is the audio link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngfxy3xpsr...14.18.mp3?dl=0

  15. #514
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 593 Times in 368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giants still looking for a CF.

    I would offer them Inciarte for OF Heliot Ramos, OF Steven Duggar and C Aramis Garcia. That's not an Adam Eaton type package, but in reality it shouldn't be.

    Then I would sign Cain to play center for 4/60 and give up the 4th round pick.

    Ramos looks like a future star, Duggar is a high OBP athlete who looks like a possible LO CF, and Garcia is blocked by Posey but could be part of a catching duo of the future for the Braves.

  16. #515
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,948
    Thanks
    671
    Thanked 737 Times in 495 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Giants still looking for a CF.

    I would offer them Inciarte for OF Heliot Ramos, OF Steven Duggar and C Aramis Garcia. That's not an Adam Eaton type package, but in reality it shouldn't be.

    Then I would sign Cain to play center for 4/60 and give up the 4th round pick.

    Ramos looks like a future star, Duggar is a high OBP athlete who looks like a possible LO CF, and Garcia is blocked by Posey but could be part of a catching duo of the future for the Braves.
    I like the idea, but Imma need a better package than that to trade Ender. We should absolutely be looking at an Eaton type package given his value.

  17. #516
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,475
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 357 Times in 275 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enscheff has talked about how it doesn’t make sense to do one of the moves and I agree.

    That complicates things. You prob don’t give up a pick and sign moose.

    If you are going to out an expensive asset in a roster spot we probably go all in. And to do that you prob need a plan for lf, 3b and deals for Tehran and neck.

  18. #517
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,028
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Giants still looking for a CF.

    I would offer them Inciarte for OF Heliot Ramos, OF Steven Duggar and C Aramis Garcia. That's not an Adam Eaton type package, but in reality it shouldn't be.

    Then I would sign Cain to play center for 4/60 and give up the 4th round pick.

    Ramos looks like a future star, Duggar is a high OBP athlete who looks like a possible LO CF, and Garcia is blocked by Posey but could be part of a catching duo of the future for the Braves.
    This type of move only makes sense if they go all the way and also trade Freeman and Teheran.

    Since they are punting 2018, I agree it makes sense. I canít realistically see it happening though.

  19. #518
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,341
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 283 Times in 218 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This type of move only makes sense if they go all the way and also trade Freeman and Teheran.

    Since they are punting 2018, I agree it makes sense. I canít realistically see it happening though.
    I donít understand why weíre trading inciarte for prospects and then signing Cain to a long term deal losing a draft pick in an already depleted draft. Doesnít seem very consistent.

  20. #519
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,603
    Thanks
    6,375
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don’t understand why we’re trading inciarte for prospects and then signing Cain to a long term deal losing a draft pick in an already depleted draft. Doesn’t seem very consistent.
    I wouldn't trade Freeman either, but I would like to add Cain to go along with Inciarte and Acuna.

    I'm fine with trading Teheran at some point but it seems better to wait till the trade deadline (and hope he has a great first half to improve his trade value).
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-20-2018 at 10:11 PM.

  21. #520
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,948
    Thanks
    671
    Thanked 737 Times in 495 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Likely have between 10 and 15 million to fill those spots, which isn't a whole lot of money really.
    Enough to give CarGo or Joey Bats a 1 year deal with a mutual option, or buy low on Cain with a 3 year deal that's backloaded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •