Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It bothers me because I want unbiased, accurate information that is produced with a logically sound process.

FG is that source. They have improved their pitcher vs hitter FV ratings to adjust for expected value. That's why we see the systematic drop in FVs of about half a grade for almost all pitchers. Now the surplus values of all prospects more or less line up, regardless of being a pitcher or hitter. That is a GREAT improvement to the process.

Unfortunately, they have also re-hired a guy who will bring extremely strong biases towards certain prospects he followed on a personal level for years. That completely negates a great deal of what they have to say about the Braves (or at least the prospects Kiley personally loves). It is pretty obvious who those few Braves prospects are.
    Do you think unbiased information based on scouts is actually a thing?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Enscheff and thewupk, why does it bother you if the braves’ prospects are “overrated” by FG? You suggest that the FV value assigned by them is the formula used by FOs to determine trade value. If you are correct there, braves’ prospects being overrated is a very good thing
    It bothers them because they aren't Braves' fans. They are trolls that post here and nobody gets rid of them. Just put them on your ignore list like I have.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    It bothers them because they aren't Braves' fans. They are trolls that post here and nobody gets rid of them. Just put them on your ignore list like I have.
    lol

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Enscheff and thewupk, why does it bother you if the braves’ prospects are “overrated” by FG? You suggest that the FV value assigned by them is the formula used by FOs to determine trade value. If you are correct there, braves’ prospects being overrated is a very good thing
    It doesn't bother me. I do think their rankings are somewhat biased towards Braves players and I don't think Pache for example is a 55 FV prospect currently. GM's do have set values for prospects and just like draft rankings will favor certain players over others. Fangraphs FV ranking isn't perfect, as no list is, but does serve as a good guide for a prospects value which has been proven over and over to be pretty accurate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do you think unbiased information based on scouts is actually a thing?
    Nope, but that's not what I said.

Here, I'll quote it so you can read it again: "extremely strong biases towards certain prospects he followed on a personal level for years".

Kiley's connection to some of these guys is much stronger than any other prospect writer in the public sphere. He has likely fought for some of these guys in a way that put his professional reputation on the line during draft and trade discussions. He is probably more biased towards some of these Braves prospects than any other guy with any kind of notable platform.

We accuse KLaw of picking guys he likes and then stubbornly sticking with them. Kiley will be like that times 100 for some of the Braves prospects he really likes.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Awe. Starting to feel normal around this place.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Awe. Starting to feel normal around this place.
    even us posters need an offseason and spring training

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-09-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (02-08-2018)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    We only have two non Braves fans here. That Expos guy who quit posting and Niners aka voted worst poster 3 years in a row.
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

drewdat (02-08-2018), JohnAdcox (02-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    We only have two non Braves fans here. That Expos guy who quit posting and Niners aka voted worst poster 3 years in a row.
    We also have a group who don't applaud enough, which is a form of treason I believe.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BravesfanMike (02-08-2018), Jaw (02-09-2018), JohnAdcox (02-08-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (02-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Posi-Braves and Intelli-Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Nope, but that's not what I said.

Here, I'll quote it so you can read it again: "extremely strong biases towards certain prospects he followed on a personal level for years".

Kiley's connection to some of these guys is much stronger than any other prospect writer in the public sphere. He has likely fought for some of these guys in a way that put his professional reputation on the line during draft and trade discussions. He is probably more biased towards some of these Braves prospects than any other guy with any kind of notable platform.

We accuse KLaw of picking guys he likes and then stubbornly sticking with them. Kiley will be like that times 100 for some of the Braves prospects he really likes.
    You actually said: 'It bothers me because I want unbiased, accurate information that is produced with a logically sound process.'

So apparently you think the information you read on prospect sites is unbiased which is just flat out wrong.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    even us posters need an offseason and spring training
    The team is looking good
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Because Cheetos. Derrrp!
    Must have more Cheetos!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    “Heyman also notes that the Braves would add a third baseman if they can find a match on a one-year deal, but they’re comfortable using Johan Camargo there for a year while waiting for prospect Austin Riley to finish off his development in the upper minors. More generally, he adds that they’re looking more at “depth” signings than anything else at this point of the offseason.”

Looks like things are pretty much set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    It's been weeks, but finally a Braves hot stove rumor.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-08-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (02-08-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    It's been weeks, but finally a Braves hot stove rumor.

My guess is of the teams listed, the Braves and Rays are the only ones where Nunez would be the likely starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My guess is of the teams listed, the Braves and Rays are the only ones where Nunez would be the likely starter.
    Agreed. To my knowledge, Nunez has no strong preference on geography like Frazier. It's gonna be about $ and playing time. I have to assume Nunez will command a lesser deal than Frazier. Maybe 1 year for $6-7m with a vesting option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Agreed. To my knowledge, Nunez has no strong preference on geography like Frazier. It's gonna be about $ and playing time. I have to assume Nunez will command a lesser deal than Frazier. Maybe 1 year for $6-7m with a vesting option?
    I still think he could get two years, but that might work if the AAV is high enough and he thinks more playing time is available here. Then again some team may offer him two years plus an option too. Time will tell.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    According to the Mets, Nunez was going to cost about as much as Frazier, so they chose Frazier.

I’m going to guess he ends up in the AL East on a 2 year deal for $15M+ total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    According to the Mets, Nunez was going to cost about as much as Frazier, so they chose Frazier.

I’m going to guess he ends up in the AL East on a 2 year deal for $15M+ total.
    I'm not convinced based on DOB's speculation given his track record that he has any idea what AA has planned. I am also not convinced by Heyman's piece that the Braves will only go one year on a player like Nunez. Two years shouldn't be a deal breaker here. That said, I could still see him ending up in the AL East as you say because three of the four teams said to be the most interested in him are AL East teams (Rays, Red Sox, Yankees).