Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think it's more likely Moose agrees to a 1 or 2 year deal in the 15 million dollar range and tries to test FA again the following offseason. Or may be he signs and gets and opt out clause. He has basically no suitors at this time. I'm still not sure why the Orioles don't sign him let him split time with Beckham and DH. Then have Beckham shift to SS in 2019 when Machado leaves.
    I don't think they are serious about Machado at short unless they get an extension out of him. If it looks like no extension he'll be back at third then traded

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Draft pick loss only applies for contracts of 50 million or more.

Moose for 10 million this year, 30 million next year and team option for 9 million.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Draft pick loss only applies for contracts of 50 million or more.

Moose for 10 million this year, 30 million next year and team option for 9 million.
    Any team that signs Mous loses 1-2 picks, regardless the value of the contract.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Any team that signs Mous loses 1-2 picks, regardless the value of the contract.
    That’s not what buster olney reported. He said if less than 50 no pick

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Olney must've been referring to teams that lose a player who was extended a QO. Teams that sign such a player still lose a draft pick, but where it is varies based on team revenue. If a team is over the luxury tax they lose a 1st and 5th round pick (assuming they have no additional picks in between). Revenue-sharing recipients (like the Braves) lose their 3rd highest pick. So, signing Mouse would hurt us a lot less than many teams.

Relevant Link: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-qualify...ed/c-259650658

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Olney is wrong either way. KC gets a pick no matter how much Mous gets. The pick is after the 1st round if greater than $50M, or after the 2nd round of under $50M.

The new rules are confusing, but I expect these writers who do this for a living to understand them.

Just another reason to ignore anything anyone at ESPN has to say about baseball.

KC gets (from Freshmakers post):

“Under the new rules, if the team that loses the free agent is a revenue-sharing recipient, based on its revenues and market size, then the selection -- if and only if the lost player signs for at least $50 million -- will be awarded a pick between the first round and Competitive Balance Round A of the 2018 MLB Draft. If the player signs for less than $50 million, the compensation pick for those teams would come after Competitive Balance Round B, which follows the second round.”

Braves lose:

“A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee Club shall forfeit its third highest remaining selection in the next Rule 4 Draft.”

They already lost their 3rd pick, so they will lose their 4th pick whether they sign Mous for $1 or $100M. If they can get him for ~$50M, it is probably a good enough bargain they need to seriously try to make it happen.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-25-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Olney is wrong either way. KC gets a pick no matter how much Mous gets. The pick is after the 1st round if greater than $50M, or after the 2nd round of under $50M.

The new rules are confusing, but I expect these writers who do this for a living to understand them.

Just another reason to ignore anything anyone at ESPN has to say about baseball.

KC gets (from Freshmakers post):

“Under the new rules, if the team that loses the free agent is a revenue-sharing recipient, based on its revenues and market size, then the selection -- if and only if the lost player signs for at least $50 million -- will be awarded a pick between the first round and Competitive Balance Round A of the 2018 MLB Draft. If the player signs for less than $50 million, the compensation pick for those teams would come after Competitive Balance Round B, which follows the second round.”

Braves lose:

“A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee Club shall forfeit its third highest remaining selection in the next Rule 4 Draft.”

They already lost their 3rd pick, so they will lose their 4th pick whether they sign Mous for $1 or $100M. If they can get him for ~$50M, it is probably a good enough bargain they need to seriously try to make it happen.
    I wonder if these unsigned guys wouldn't be better off waiting until after the draft to sign where attached comp goes away.

Think about it this way - teams spend millions of prospect capital to bring in needed help at the All-Star break (and before and after).

If a few of the high profile agents pulled together and got a field in Florida where their clients could play and keep sharp, then they may actually get their clients a better contract by waiting. You have basically three areas to draw from - the high end who aren't getting the contracts they think they deserve (Arrieta, Moustakas, Lynn, Cobb, etc.), the veteran guys with injury/performance concerns (Anderson, Melky Cabrera, Yunel Escobar, Clippard, Coghlan, Collmenter, Dickey, Duda, etc.) and the guys who are likely to only get a ST invite anyway and likely end up on some AAA team.

It would be like a developmental league for stars and injury rehabbers and AAAA last chancers.

The risk to the player (say a guy like Arrieta) is that he performs badly and ends up with a worse contract and/or he gets injured.

The concept is a bit like what Clemens did a few years ago but for different reasons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I wonder if these unsigned guys wouldn't be better off waiting until after the draft to sign where attached comp goes away.

Think about it this way - teams spend millions of prospect capital to bring in needed help at the All-Star break (and before and after).

If a few of the high profile agents pulled together and got a field in Florida where their clients could play and keep sharp, then they may actually get their clients a better contract by waiting. You have basically three areas to draw from - the high end who aren't getting the contracts they think they deserve (Arrieta, Moustakas, Lynn, Cobb, etc.), the veteran guys with injury/performance concerns (Anderson, Melky Cabrera, Yunel Escobar, Clippard, Coghlan, Collmenter, Dickey, Duda, etc.) and the guys who are likely to only get a ST invite anyway and likely end up on some AAA team.

It would be like a developmental league for stars and injury rehabbers and AAAA last chancers.

The risk to the player (say a guy like Arrieta) is that he performs badly and ends up with a worse contract and/or he gets injured.

The concept is a bit like what Clemens did a few years ago but for different reasons.
    Drew and morales tried this already. It didn’t work out well for them. Both ended up signing 1 year deals for less than the QO they turned down.

Nobody has done it since, for good reason.

There will be enough pitchers injured in ST that all of Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb and Holland should find acceptable multi year deals. Teams like the Twins and Brewers still need to add to the rotation, and have the means to do so.

I have no idea where Mous will end up though.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-25-2018 at 12:17 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Sawchick agrees:

Nick S
    12:52 Mous to the Braves for 4/50, paid out as 5/15/15/15?
    Travis Sawchik
    12:52 Mous to the Braves has made sense, at least to me, for awhile now

I honestly don't know if the Braves can afford $5M this year for Mous though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Sawchick agrees:

Nick S
    12:52 Mous to the Braves for 4/50, paid out as 5/15/15/15?
    Travis Sawchik
    12:52 Mous to the Braves has made sense, at least to me, for awhile now

I honestly don't know if the Braves can afford $5M this year for Mous though.
    Why doesn't he think we can afford more than 5 million this year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why doesn't he think we can afford more than 5 million this year?
    The last sentence was my opinion. I'm confident they can't afford $10M for 2018, but I don't know how little room they have, and $5M could very well be too much as well.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The last sentence was my opinion. I'm confident they can't afford $10M for 2018, but I don't know how little room they have, and $5M could very well be too much as well.
    I hope the Braves are at least talking or have talked to Mous about this.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    We know for certain the Braves are restricted to back loaded deals, so it stands to reason they let Mous know all about it.

What they can afford for 2018 is a guess, but we know for sure it's less than $10M. It may be less than $5M after we saw what Maybin signed for.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The market must be nothing for Teheran. Otherwise trade him, sign Mous at a discount to take advantage of the market and replace Teheran with a retread until another of the young guys are ready.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    The market must be nothing for Teheran. Otherwise trade him, sign Mous at a discount to take advantage of the market and replace Teheran with a retread until another of the young guys are ready.
    The Braves could also dump the cash they've spent on fungible arms like Brothers, Moylan and Whitley to get closer to enough cash to pay Mous in 2018. They may be completely tapped out for 2018 at $107M plus whatever they are setting aside for Kazmir's deferred money. Hard to say right now.

Remember when folks said the $10M in value the Braves potentially threw away by promoting Swanson and Albies means nothing? Well guess what? The Braves aren't signing Mous at a bargain right now because they don't have an extra $10M available to spend. Signing Markakis to post 1-2 WAR for a losing team is directly responsible for the Braves not having Mous to contribute to a team that may actually be competitive.

All these sub-optimal moves add up and make the team worse over time. The previous FO made about one sub-optimal move per year, and now here we are...no money to spend on a 3B that will likely sign for a huge bargain while the Braves project to get barely better than replacement level production at the position.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-26-2018 at 07:14 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (02-26-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The Braves could also dump the cash they've spent on fungible arms like Brothers, Moylan and Whitley to get closer to enough cash to pay Mous in 2018. They may be completely tapped out for 2018 at $107M plus whatever they are setting aside for Kazmir's deferred money. Hard to say right now.

Remember when folks said the $10M in value the Braves potentially threw away by promoting Swanson and Albies means nothing? Well guess what? The Braves aren't signing Mous at a bargain right now because they don't have an extra $10M available to spend. Signing Markakis to post 1-2 WAR for a losing team is directly responsible for the Braves not having Mous to contribute to a team that may actually be competitive.

All these sub-optimal moves add up and make the team worse over time. The previous FO made about one sub-optimal move per year, and now here we are...no money to spend on a 3B that will likely sign for a huge bargain while the Braves project to get barely better than replacement level production at the position.
    I personally think the sub optimal moves equated to more like 3 per year on average from an overall POV.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Albies and Swanson are making $10 million this year???

Wow, my spreadsheet's WAAAAAAYYY off.

Somebody needs to get Cot's - and more importantly the Braves' accountants on the horn so they'll tell AA he needs to dump SEVERAL players.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Somebody needs to get Cot's - and more importantly the Braves' accountants on the horn so they'll tell AA he needs to dump SEVERAL players.
    As usual you are so stupid you completely missed the point.

The early promotions of those players will likely cost the Braves in 5-6 years, and could cause them to miss out on signing a player just like the Markakis contract is forcing them to miss out on a Mous bargain now.

Please, try to keep up dum dum.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-26-2018 at 09:19 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Your lack of critical thinking is alarming

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

It always amazed me when people shrugged off the early promotion as "just $10M - not a big deal"... not realizing that cash-strapped teams like us need every nickel we can get.

That Markakis contract is still biting us