Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Just Play Camargo

This is the perfect type of year to see if he is an everyday player. If he is then you have a great trading chip. If he isn't then he is your super util guy.
    Agree 100%.

With Garcia now out of the picture, and the probability of Culberson and Santana as bench players, the only real needs for the Braves would be starting LFer and 4th OFer for about 4 weeks until Acuna is moved up to Atl.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

Evad (12-27-2017), UNCBlue012 (12-29-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    With so many big names out there, wonder if some teams are saving up for next winters big name class?

And Braves could get a 1-yr prove it deal for someone.

It's almost January and players like Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb, Darvish, Hosmer, Cain, Moose, Todd Frazier, JD Martinez, Wade Davis, Holland among others still unsigned. Too lazy to look it up but i dont know if this many big names were still unsigned this time last year.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Just Play Camargo

This is the perfect type of year to see if he is an everyday player. If he is then you have a great trading chip. If he isn't then he is your super util guy.

I’m here...except if you can get a deal on Frazier for a one year or one plus option.

The guy is too good. We have punted a lot. He could be a trade piece. I don’t think we will win a bidding war for Michael and I worry about Donaldson.

Comargo can play if we want. Frazier is 32 and comargo could easily get 1/5 starts at third. Frazier could also be back up 1b. You may invite contraversy but u could have comargo play 1/5 days at ss and 2b. He could probably play of if you wanted. With our shirt bench he will pinch hit and get in every game.

I will be pisses if Frazier signs for a one year deal or a 1 with options at less than 15 million for the not braves. Move neck and eat 6 million to get the extra 5 million you need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    With so many big names out there, wonder if some teams are saving up for next winters big name class?

And Braves could get a 1-yr prove it deal for someone.

It's almost January and players like Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb, Darvish, Hosmer, Cain, Moose, Todd Frazier, JD Martinez, Wade Davis, Holland among others still unsigned. Too lazy to look it up but i dont know if this many big names were still unsigned this time last year.
    I think it’s a couple of things
    1. Next years class as u say. Don’t want to block 3b etc
    2. Class isn’t that good. Draft picks attached and big money make it worse
    3. Yelich

It would not surprise me if a lot of teams are holding off on plans until they know if they can get yelich. I could def see the braves there. If they get him and it includes Newcombe etc then maybe they get a vet sp. if they take on salary to lower cost it may fill another spot etc.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think it’s a couple of things
    1. Next years class as u say. Don’t want to block 3b etc
    2. Class isn’t that good. Draft picks attached and big money make it worse
    3. Yelich

It would not surprise me if a lot of teams are holding off on plans until they know if they can get yelich. I could def see the braves there. If they get him and it includes Newcombe etc then maybe they get a vet sp. if they take on salary to lower cost it may fill another spot etc.
    Yelich would cost way too much at this point for the Braves to go after him. After we just front loaded the payroll for the 2018 season in dumping Kemp and getting the Dodgers salary fodder in return, we have little wiggle room to take on the contracts necessary to get Yelich. I wouldn’t want to have to include an Acuna or Goharan in a deal for Yelich and the only way to avoid that is to take back multiple bad contracts that we just can’t afford right now.

So I’d definitely say we’re out of the running for Yelich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Yelich would cost way too much at this point for the Braves to go after him. After we just front loaded the payroll for the 2018 season in dumping Kemp and getting the Dodgers salary fodder in return, we have little wiggle room to take on the contracts necessary to get Yelich. I wouldn’t want to have to include an Acuna or Goharan in a deal for Yelich and the only way to avoid that is to take back multiple bad contracts that we just can’t afford right now.

So I’d definitely say we’re out of the running for Yelich.
    I think it will be too much.

But we should be able to get him w/o touching anyone who has touched MLB or Acuna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'd love Yelich but I think its too early for the big trade still.

Too much to learn about the current talent both at the major league and minor league level. Things will be much more clear in July IMO.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Yelich were on a 3 year deal I may agree that it’s to early. But at his age and 5 years of control? It’s not to early at all. Freddie and Ender won’t be around forever so our window is closing on our 2 best hitters. This season will tell us more than the past couple of years as far as talent goes imo. We will know what Albies and Acuna are all about along with Swanson as well as all the young pitching. Riley will be one of the closest to watch bc if he flops then 3b is the biggest need on the team for the long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Yelich were on a 3 year deal I may agree that it’s to early. But at his age and 5 years of control? It’s not to early at all. Freddie and Ender won’t be around forever so our window is closing on our 2 best hitters. This season will tell us more than the past couple of years as far as talent goes imo. We will know what Albies and Acuna are all about along with Swanson as well as all the young pitching. Riley will be one of the closest to watch bc if he flops then 3b is the biggest need on the team for the long term.
    Even with Yelich I don't think the Braves are close to winning a WS this year. I just think the cost is more prohibitive than fans wants to admit. If we end up needing a third baseman long term then I'd rather invest assets into that position. I think its easier to fill an OF spot since I believe Pache will be in CF in 2 years. You can get an average defensive LF considering Pache/Acuna will be at the other two spots. Much easier to find positive offensive player at LF than at 3B.

But, in 7 months we might find out that RIley is closer to that long term solution at third. At that time I think it makes more sense to invest in Yelich.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    By that time Yelich will be with another team, Freeman and Inciarte are a year older and another year closer to being a FA. Every ear we can’t put it off another year to compete. Yelich is a long term piece.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    By that time Yelich will be with another team, Freeman and Inciarte are a year older and another year closer to being a FA. Every ear we can’t put it off another year to compete. Yelich is a long term piece.
    If we’ve learned one thing it should be this:

There will be a Sale or Eaton or Stroman or Archer or Yelich available when the Braves are ready to compete. There is no need to blow their wad early for fear of missing out.

Some team will always be rebuilding and/or trying to unload a long term piece.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Braves are wasting a real opportunity if they don't participate in the Marlin fire sale. If the Braves can get Yelich or Realmuto for less than full value by taking back a bad contract or two and they don't do it then they are idiots, plain and simple. Note: I didn't say go get them at any cost. I said if they can get them for less than full value by taking on a bad contract or two...

Think about it this way: the Red Sox paid Moncada and effective $63M (signing bonus plus penalty) when Moncada had never played ball in the US. If the Braves could get Yelich for a value less than his value based on prospect cost and, more importantly, bad contract cost then they are crazy not to do it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Braves are wasting a real opportunity if they don't participate in the Marlin fire sale. If the Braves can get Yelich or Realmuto for less than full value by taking back a bad contract or two and they don't do it then they are idiots, plain and simple. Note: I didn't say go get them at any cost. I said if they can get them for less than full value by taking on a bad contract or two...

Think about it this way: the Red Sox paid Moncada and effective $63M (signing bonus plus penalty) when Moncada had never played ball in the US. If the Braves could get Yelich for a value less than his value based on prospect cost and, more importantly, bad contract cost then they are crazy not to do it.
    The Braves already did their “take bad contracts to get value” trade when they got rid of Kemp. They simply don’t have the payroll to swing another trade of that kind.

I agree though, it would have been amazing to be in position to take advantage of the Marlins right now. Unfortunately, AA was forced to use his payroll resources cleaning up the mess left behind by the Reign of the Dinosaurs...the FO so many on these boards claimed were so smart.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves already did their “take bad contracts to get value” trade when they got rid of Kemp. They simply don’t have the payroll to swing another trade of that kind.

I agree though, it would have been amazing to be in position to take advantage of the Marlins right now. Unfortunately, AA was forced to use his payroll resources cleaning up the mess left behind by the Reign of the Dinosaurs...the FO so many on these boards claimed were so smart.
    He could still do it IF he would move Teheran, Markakis (assume you can move $5M), maybe Folty (depending on who you take back from the Marlins), maybe Inciarte IF you get the right value.

For instance, if the Braves were to be willing to take back Chen or Prado or both then Teheran ($8M), Markakis ($5M) would cover all of Prado and more than cover Chen. Depending on what they have in the cushions still, they might be able to work in both.

It would take being willing to gamble a bit but you're really only gambling 2018 which isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

THIS. 100%. Yelich IS on the Braves' timeline -- I mean, almost perfectly. If we don't at least try hard to trade for him, the FO is all needs to be fired.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    He could still do it IF he would move Teheran, Markakis (assume you can move $5M), maybe Folty (depending on who you take back from the Marlins), maybe Inciarte IF you get the right value.

For instance, if the Braves were to be willing to take back Chen or Prado or both then Teheran ($8M), Markakis ($5M) would cover all of Prado and more than cover Chen. Depending on what they have in the cushions still, they might be able to work in both.

It would take being willing to gamble a bit but you're really only gambling 2018 which isn't that big of a deal.
    But in reality who’s really going to want Teheran or Markakis as anything other than a salary dump? The only way to get rid of them would be to take back an equally unattractive player with an equally, or worse, contract situation. That wouldn’t help us at all in the Yelich situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    itt: people thinking it's really super simple and easy to make trades.
    yelich hasn't been dealt yet. to anyone.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The point that everyone seems to be missing here is that the reason the Marlins stance on Yelich and Realmuto has "changed" is that they now no longer need to attach a bad contract to them to unload money anymore. They got rid of the money they needed to.

Trading either one of them for less than "full value" at this point is ridiculous according to most of the "experts". How quickly everyone forgets whining about getting the Wislers/Petersons/Newcombs in return for unloading J-Up/Andrelton is pretty funny. The Marlins will only trade either one of those guys at this point if someone blows them away and helps accelerate their rebuild - they can easily afford them even if they don't move any of their "bad money". They're listening because they'd be idiots if they didn't - back up the truck and you can have one (or both) of them.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The point that everyone seems to be missing here is that the reason the Marlins stance on Yelich and Realmuto has "changed" is that they now no longer need to attach a bad contract to them to unload money anymore. They got rid of the money they needed to.

Trading either one of them for less than "full value" at this point is ridiculous according to most of the "experts". How quickly everyone forgets whining about getting the Wislers/Petersons/Newcombs in return for unloading J-Up/Andrelton is pretty funny. The Marlins will only trade either one of those guys at this point if someone blows them away and helps accelerate their rebuild - they can easily afford them even if they don't move any of their "bad money". They're listening because they'd be idiots if they didn't - back up the truck and you can have one (or both) of them.
    Exactly. Which is why for the Braves to make a move for one of them it would have to start with either Acuna or Wright who should both untouchable. The Marlins aren’t going to settle for a bunch of B level prospects. They’re either going to want one of those 2 players OR they’re going to want to get rid of Chen’s money and then want a haul of B prospects in return.

Neither deal works for the Braves currently.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-29-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    But in reality who’s really going to want Teheran or Markakis as anything other than a salary dump? The only way to get rid of them would be to take back an equally unattractive player with an equally, or worse, contract situation. That wouldn’t help us at all in the Yelich situation.
    Markakis shouldn't be a complete salary dump. His contract isn't bad for what he brings to the table. I don't think you can get much back for him and would need to send money. The Orioles owner loves him and they have some need for an OF so I would try a Folty and Markakis plus ($5M) for Hays and Harvey. Saves the Braves about 3 on Folty and 5 on Markakis for a total of $8M

Teheran should be easily traded for he has value in his performance and contract, just not the TOR value some once thought he had. Several teams have a need for a guy like him. The Yankees, Brewers, Twins, etc. I would try to get a Brewers trade done maybe Teheran and Viz for OF's Lutz, Phillips and Harrison. Saves Braves 8 on Teheran and 4 on Viz.

I would move Inciarte if I could get the right value. Maybe to the Cubs who could use a LO CF for Happ (Braves play Happ at 3B/Util). Saves Braves about $4M

So, I've moved $24M.

Then I do a deal with the Marlins where I take back Chen and Prado in addition to Yelich and Straily (adds about $35M for 2018) for Allard, Sims, Pache and Derian Cruz.

That of course assumes that the Braves have a little payroll room left to go.

Straily and Chen go into the rotation and short term replace Folty and Teheran. Prado starts at 3B. Outfield starts Happ, Yelich, Phillips then becomes Happ, Yelich, Acuna pretty quick with an eventual Hays, Yelich, Acuna and Happ going to 3B.

Minter gets a shot to close.

You trade Prado, Chen and/or Straily if you can move any of their money at any time during 2018 or 19 when teams get desperate. If you can't you live with it as the price of getting Yelich.