Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    That has been my argument in regards to getting closer type pitchers. Teams selling closers are always inning the surplus value battle and its been happening for a couple of years now. Holland would fit that plan nicely.
    Natural Immunity Croc

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    What does everyone think about Greg Holland?

Sure he comes with the loss of a pick (in the Braves case a 3rd rounder).
    I’m pretty sure we lost our 3rd round pick as part of the punishment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    AA was on MLB radio earlier today . . . audio link is at the bottom of this TC article. He is pretty elusive about the plan for corner OF and 3B. He noted that they are looking at a multitude of options for both. My sense was that they are definitely going to add an OF, even if it's just a reserve OF.

Where he was more forthcoming was on the budget. He said - i'm paraphrasing - that we used a lot of our financial flexibility on the Kemp deal. Later he noted when they've had discussions with agents on longer-term contracts, they've discussed the option to back load. So taking both of those things together, looks like remaining money is tight. Only time will tell what that really means. We're at something like $110m at the moment.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/1/1...s-ronald-acuna

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-14-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    AA was on MLB radio earlier today . . . audio link is at the bottom of this TC article. He is pretty elusive about the plan for corner OF and 3B. He noted that they are looking at a multitude of options for both. My sense was that they are definitely going to add an OF, even if it's just a reserve OF.

Where he was more forthcoming was on the budget. He said - i'm paraphrasing - that we used a lot of our financial flexibility on the Kemp deal. Later he noted when they've had discussions with agents on longer-term contracts, they've discussed the option to back load. So taking both of those things together, looks like remaining money is tight. Only time will tell what that really means. We're at something like $110m at the moment.

Makes sense and the payroll situation is about what I expected.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

I’ve been saying for months that payroll is going down in 2018. They are right around $106M now, or $114M if they are paying off Kazmir’s deferred money this year.

The Braves probably have $5M-$10M left to spend in 2018, maybe less if they want to save some cash for mid season additions.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

How dare they listen to XM!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Rumors are that Brewers are in on Moose and could trade Shaw. Braves have been linked to one of the teams interested.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Shaw has to have around 30-40M surplus value right? I'll leave that to the experts to decide.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Shaw has to have around 30-40M surplus value right? I'll leave that to the experts to decide.
    I'd say around 40. Put him down as a player of interest.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'd say around 40. Put him down as a player of interest.
    Unless Camargo is part of the deal I just don't see how a deal for Shaw makes sense. Its going to be expensive to acquire him and we have a much cheaper option whereby we can allocate our assets elsewhere.

I'm guessing Camargo could man second base for them. What do the projections look like for Camargo? He has to have around 20-30 surplus value? Maybe more because of the amount of control left?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Unless Camargo is part of the deal I just don't see how a deal for Shaw makes sense. Its going to be expensive to acquire him and we have a much cheaper option whereby we can allocate our assets elsewhere.

I'm guessing Camargo could man second base for them. What do the projections look like for Camargo? He has to have around 20-30 surplus value? Maybe more because of the amount of control left?
    Imo he has similar value to Shaw. Partly due to being under control for 6 years. I don't mind the idea of carrying Camargo and another guy who can play the left side of the infield like Shaw or Nunez. We currently have 2 fairly unproven guys penciled to start on the left side of the infield.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Imo he has similar value to Shaw. Partly due to being under control for 6 years. I don't mind the idea of carrying Camargo and another guy who can play the left side of the infield like Shaw or Nunez. We currently have 2 fairly unproven guys penciled to start on the left side of the infield.
    40M in surplus value are some damn good prospects. I'd suspect its something like Allard/Wentz. I just don't see a reason to give up that type of value for a player that 1/3 (1/4 not sure of his control) of their value is provided in a non-contending year. I guess adding Shaw changes the calculus to where the Braves could be high 80's with some additional tweaks. I'm a big Riley fan obviously so I just don't know how I feel about leveraging our assets to acquire a third baseman. I'd rather sign Fraizer for 2 years and give up nothing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    40M in surplus value are some damn good prospects. I'd suspect its something like Allard/Wentz. I just don't see a reason to give up that type of value for a player that 1/3 (1/4 not sure of his control) of their value is provided in a non-contending year. I guess adding Shaw changes the calculus to where the Braves could be high 80's with some additional tweaks. I'm a big Riley fan obviously so I just don't know how I feel about leveraging our assets to acquire a third baseman. I'd rather sign Fraizer for 2 years and give up nothing.
    I think we are one off-season early for those kinds of trades. Though I have some interest in Nunez if his price drops to something we can fit in. Frazier too, though it is unlikely his price drops enough.

I seem to rate Nunez higher than most around here.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Definitely agree about the timing of such a deal. By July we may be penciling Riley into third or we may identify the need at third base long term is the #1 priority. The following players need to be evaluated for one more season before future decisions can be made

1) Pache (Potential of trading Ender while he has a lot of surplus value. Can always find a LF on the open market that can mash while Acuna/Pache cover up for some defensive shortcomings. Guy just can't be as brutal as Kemp in the field. I'm actually surprised that Pache hasn't gotten more play on these boards.)

2) Soroka/Allard/Wright (Way too early to even think about trading these guys. We may have three potential TOR type starters. Of course it won't happen with all three but I think all three have that ceiling)

3) Riley (Performance has been excellent when you adjust for age/level. Defensive improvements have been noted across the board. One more half season at AA/AAA with good numbers and his projections will be in line with a lot of what Braves scouts think of him)

4)Fried (I'm still a big believer. I am advocating a trade to make room for him but it is encouragin that AA came from LA where they experimented with the 10 day DL. Mcarthey/Fried/Gohara could all use a lighter workload so I think we find a way to get him in the rotation. Last year was not indicative of his ability. Now that it is all but settled that his performance was largely due to blister issues I think we need to reshape what our projections are for him and that is a potential good MOR with maybe a bit more depending on how he holds his velocity into the 6/7th innings.

5)Newk (Underrated criminally on these boards. We all know his issue but you can't teach his stuff. I think he puts it together and will anchor our staff for many years to come.)
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    While the Brewers choosing Moustakkos over him at 3B maybe isn't the greatest endorsement, I don't think Shaw's numbers necessarily look unsustainable. Above average offense and average or better defense at 3B would be improvement over what I would expect out of Camargo.

i wouldn't pay for a 3+ WAR player in trade value, but if you can get him relatively cheaply, I don't have a problem with it. No harm on checking price tag on any 3B candidate, IMO. Long or short term.

I feel good enough about 2019 that I don't find viewing it as a year to seriously try to win (though still checking yourself as far as the long term).

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Would love to get Shaw. that is all..
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Makes sense and the payroll situation is about what I expected.
    Reading this makes me want to add Ajax, Ruiz, Fried, and Sims to Riley as guys AA may be looking to trade. I always see interviews as strategic ways to negotiate through media channels.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Dude, come on, Camargo doesn’t have anywhere near $40M in surplus value.

If the Brewers sign Mous and trade Shaw to the Braves, it will be for pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    While the Brewers choosing Moustakkos over him at 3B maybe isn't the greatest endorsement, I don't think Shaw's numbers necessarily look unsustainable. Above average offense and average or better defense at 3B would be improvement over what I would expect out of Camargo.

i wouldn't pay for a 3+ WAR player in trade value, but if you can get him relatively cheaply, I don't have a problem with it. No harm on checking price tag on any 3B candidate, IMO. Long or short term.

I feel good enough about 2019 that I don't find viewing it as a year to seriously try to win (though still checking yourself as far as the long term).
    Agreed. Shaw profiles as an average 2 win player just like the guys left in the FA market. Difference with Shaw is the Braves can afford him.

If AA can convert 1-2 guys unlikely to crack the Braves rotation in the next 2-3 years for Shaw I think that’s a win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Let’s assume Riley makes the grade at 3b... (I know I know)

That seems to limit the places to LF where we could spend this money next offseason. It would seem to set us up for some extensions and possibly a bigger FA splash or to front load a contract?

This is a big year for some of our prospects to fill needs. One would think Soroka could debut in June as well. Riley would seem to be available to fill in late this season if he has a nice season also.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 01-15-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Ivermectin Man