Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Rather have Cain for sure. But if not Cain or Frazier on a backloaded deal, then I'd rather take a chance on Joey Bats or CarGo on a 1 year deal with a mutual option than sign journeyman guys like A-Jax or similar players. I want no part of Gomez either.
    I just don't see these guys being viable with where the payroll is at. The only way we could get someone like Cain is paying him pennies in 2018 and backload the rest of it. And I don't see someone like Joey Bats or Cargo signing for pennies in 2018. Maybe the do though. It's been a strange market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I just don't see these guys being viable with where the payroll is at. The only way we could get someone like Cain is paying him pennies in 2018 and backload the rest of it. And I don't see someone like Joey Bats or Cargo signing for pennies in 2018. Maybe the do though. It's been a strange market.
    Yea, I doubt it too since it seems our payroll is about maxed out. I could see us signing someone like Nunez for third on a two year deal for the right price. He is not a good defender but third seems to be where he is okay at least. He had a 0 DRS there last year and only -1 DRS in the last four or five seasons playing there off and on. He has been worse at every other position, but can at least play all over if needed.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-19-2018 at 03:43 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We don't really know what payroll is though. Just speculation on your guys part. I'm sure we don't have much, but AA has stated he still wants to add a 3b, OFer, and a pitcher. Certainly you would expect to spend around 10 million or so on those additions unless they're bringing in ST invitee types of guys.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-19-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We don't really know what payroll is though. Just speculation on your guys part. I'm sure we don't have much, but AA has stated he still wants to add a 3b, OFer, and a pitcher. Certainly you would expect to spend around 10 million or so on those additions unless they're bringing in ST invitee types of guys.
    Likely have between 10 and 15 million to fill those spots, which isn't a whole lot of money really.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Likely have between 10 and 15 million to fill those spots, which isn't a whole lot of money really.
    Maybe not, but Nunez for $5-$7 million and Maybin for $5-$7 million makes this a *elluva lot better team. Just me, but I don't understand the reasoning behind adding another wildcard arm - you're paying Kazmir anyway, just see if he has anything left.

If there really is around $15 million available, go get Frazier or CarGo for $12 million and see if someone's left when the music stops and camp opens. Even if you used all the rest of the money to get Frazier on a one-year deal, you could live with a Tucker/Adams platoon in LF until Acuna's called up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So my question:
    If the Braves find this to be a favorable market to sign a few guys compared to next year. Would we be able to borrow from next year’s payroll.

I feel like we could move Julio pretty easily if needed.

I just feel like next year...all the great players will sign huge deals that we can’t compete with. This might actually end up being THE right year for free agency.

I would much rather sign guys then trade away the farm for them!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So my question:
    If the Braves find this to be a favorable market to sign a few guys compared to next year. Would we be able to borrow from next year’s payroll.

I just feel like next year...all the great players will sign huge deals that we can’t compete with. This might actually end up being THE right year for free agency.

Borrow from next year is how I interpret backloaded contracts that AA was talking about, but I really don't understand who is worth doing that for this year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So my question:

The interview with AA the other day made it SOUND like that's a possibility IF the right situation falls into their laps. Given the market, there isn't really a reason to sign somebody - YET. Someone mentioned earlier today that Borass is liable to sign his guys to pillow contracts this winter and make next year's free-agent class twice as big a monster as it already is. If he did that, we'd make as much sense as a landing spot for someone like Moustakas as anyone out there (assuming they can do that), but if the Yankees are serious about getting under the cap giving him $20 million doesn't really work. Kansas City isn't likely to take any of their guys back on pillow deals given their finances. Arizona might be able to find a way to take Martinez back on a 1/$25 million deal, it would make plenty of sense for the Cubs to bring Arrieta back for one year, Cain would make plenty of sense for the Giants (or us or a lot of other teams) on a 1 year deal if you didn't have to give up a pick, etc..

Unless Frazier just comes out and says he'll take a one year deal, I don't see AA signing anyone until the dam breaks at this point.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Borrow from next year is how I interpret backloaded contracts that AA was talking about, but I really don't understand who is worth doing that for this year.
    Maybe Cain? I can’t see the Braves giving up a pick for him though.

We are probably looking at something very close to the opening day roster already.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Maybe Cain? I can’t see the Braves giving up a pick for him though.

We are probably looking at something very close to the opening day roster already.
    Probably, but it’s really hard to say that with the league wide inactivity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The last interview I heard with AA didn't make it sound like we have 10-15 million left to spend.

That interview is linked on this page: https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/1/1...s-ronald-acuna

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The last interview I heard with AA didn't make it sound like we have 10-15 million left to spend.

That interview is linked on this page: https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/1/1...s-ronald-acuna

I looked for it but could not find the actual audio. I'd like to get the comment in context.

I think he's definitely saying they can't afford any of the bigger ticket guys without backloading.

Whether he means they can't afford anyone at all for their remaining holes -- I don't know. My best guess is they have some money left to spend based on a 115m estimate of where they are currently, but not a whole lot.

I still am holding out some hope for a minor acquisition or two. But could well be there aren't going to be any signings. They can roll with the pen they have, and just use in-house OF for the 4th OF role and use someone in-house for the backup corner in-field. Ruiz probably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I looked for it but could not find the actual audio. I'd like to get the comment in context.

I think he's definitely saying they can't afford any of the bigger ticket guys without backloading.

Whether he means they can't afford anyone at all for their remaining holes -- I don't know. My best guess is they have some money left to spend based on a 115m estimate of where they are currently, but not a whole lot.

I still am holding out some hope for a minor acquisition or two. But could well be there aren't going to be any signings. They can roll with the pen they have, and just use in-house OF for the 4th OF role and use someone in-house for the backup corner in-field. Ruiz probably.
    Here is the audio link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngfxy3xpsr...14.18.mp3?dl=0

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Giants still looking for a CF.

I would offer them Inciarte for OF Heliot Ramos, OF Steven Duggar and C Aramis Garcia. That's not an Adam Eaton type package, but in reality it shouldn't be.

Then I would sign Cain to play center for 4/60 and give up the 4th round pick.

Ramos looks like a future star, Duggar is a high OBP athlete who looks like a possible LO CF, and Garcia is blocked by Posey but could be part of a catching duo of the future for the Braves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

I would offer them Inciarte for OF Heliot Ramos, OF Steven Duggar and C Aramis Garcia. That's not an Adam Eaton type package, but in reality it shouldn't be.

Ramos looks like a future star, Duggar is a high OBP athlete who looks like a possible LO CF, and Garcia is blocked by Posey but could be part of a catching duo of the future for the Braves.
    I like the idea, but Imma need a better package than that to trade Ender. We should absolutely be looking at an Eaton type package given his value.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Enscheff has talked about how it doesn’t make sense to do one of the moves and I agree.

That complicates things. You prob don’t give up a pick and sign moose.

If you are going to out an expensive asset in a roster spot we probably go all in. And to do that you prob need a plan for lf, 3b and deals for Tehran and neck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

This type of move only makes sense if they go all the way and also trade Freeman and Teheran.

Since they are punting 2018, I agree it makes sense. I can’t realistically see it happening though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This type of move only makes sense if they go all the way and also trade Freeman and Teheran.

Since they are punting 2018, I agree it makes sense. I can’t realistically see it happening though.
    I don’t understand why we’re trading inciarte for prospects and then signing Cain to a long term deal losing a draft pick in an already depleted draft. Doesn’t seem very consistent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I don’t understand why we’re trading inciarte for prospects and then signing Cain to a long term deal losing a draft pick in an already depleted draft. Doesn’t seem very consistent.
    I wouldn't trade Freeman either, but I would like to add Cain to go along with Inciarte and Acuna.

I'm fine with trading Teheran at some point but it seems better to wait till the trade deadline (and hope he has a great first half to improve his trade value).
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-20-2018 at 10:11 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Enough to give CarGo or Joey Bats a 1 year deal with a mutual option, or buy low on Cain with a 3 year deal that's backloaded.