Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Playing Camargo at third while he is pretty arb is a no brainer.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Does anyone really think Comargo is the starting 3B on a playoff team? as good as he was in SSS and high BABIP he didn't break 800 OPS.

I'm a bigger believer in Rio Ruiz. Especially if he has a platoon partner.
    He's not even discussed anywhere else but here. The fact that inquiries have been made about more serious 3B's should us all that we need to know.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    So if our 2018 offseason plans were to unload Kemp and tweak our AAA depth chart we have nailed it!

So far the players acquired who are a strong bet to be on our roster opening day are Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson, and Anyelo Gomez.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    So if our 2018 offseason plans were to unload Kemp and tweak our AAA depth chart we have nailed it!

So far the players acquired who are a strong bet to be on our roster opening day are Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson, and Anyelo Gomez.
    I think that was a big part of it. To clear the books as much as possible for 2019. I believe they initially wanted to make a run at Yelich but if the demand was Acuna they wisley passed and moved on. With the Kemp deal it left them very little room for the 2018 team. Only thing left is a possible back loaded deal which AA has mentioned. Cain and/or Moose were targets for that but clearly the suggestions that Cain would go for 3/45-50 were off base and anything beyond that doesn't make sense for Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Does anyone really think Comargo is the starting 3B on a playoff team? as good as he was in SSS and high BABIP he didn't break 800 OPS.

I'm a bigger believer in Rio Ruiz. Especially if he has a platoon partner.
    I'm coming around on Camargo. Starting to believe he can our version of Javier Baez. I haven't seen anything from Ruiz to make me feel he's more than a bench piece at best.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think that was a big part of it. To clear the books as much as possible for 2019. I believe they initially wanted to make a run at Yelich but if the demand was Acuna they wisley passed and moved on. With the Kemp deal it left them very little room for the 2018 team. Only thing left is a possible back loaded deal which AA has mentioned. Cain and/or Moose were targets for that but clearly the suggestions that Cain would go for 3/45-50 were off base and anything beyond that doesn't make sense for Atlanta.
    5/80 for Cain certainly doesn't make sense. That is clearly an overpay by a team looking to win in 2018.

Expect to see 2-3 more significant moves from the Brewers. Word is Santana is going to an AL team as soon as today. My guess is he goes to Cleveland for Salazar.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-26-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    5/80 for Cain certainly doesn't make sense. That is clearly an overpay by a team looking to win in 2018.

Expect to see 2-3 more significant moves from the Brewers. Word is Santana is going to an AL team as soon as today. My guess is he goes to Cleveland for Salazar.
    Wouldn’t shock me to see us move for Phillips still. Brewers board didn’t seem that interested in discussing Braves trades though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Wouldn’t shock me to see us move for Phillips still. Brewers board didn’t seem that interested in discussing Braves trades though.
    I’m sure the brewers GM will want acuna. We say no. They then trade him for a much less prospect

9. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (01-26-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    brewerfan.net has a pretty solid contingent of intelligent posters, but there are plenty of folks over there who not only think Santana can get them Archer, but some who don't think that's a fair trade for the Brewers.

I also got a lot of "the Brewers aren't looking for win now pieces like Teheran for Santana" hours before they traded for Yelich and signed Cain. Needless to say those boards are full of clueless morons...same as all teams.

I don't see any path to the Brewers getting Archer without Brinson, but Odorizzi is a definite option. Santana is too much to pay for Odorizzi, so a trade like that would have to involve other players.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I did not want us to overpay for Yelich in prospects or Cain in dollars, years, and draft pick yet I'm still bummed.

I guess we neeed to accept that we're punting 2018.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Now go make a play for Realmuto...

Choice of Allard or Anderson, A-Jax, and Suzuki.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Now go make a play for Realmuto...

Choice of Allard or Anderson, A-Jax, and Suzuki.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    brewerfan.net has a pretty solid contingent of intelligent posters, but there are plenty of folks over there who not only think Santana can get them Archer, but some who don't think that's a fair trade for the Brewers.

I also got a lot of "the Brewers aren't looking for win now pieces like Teheran for Santana" hours before they traded for Yelich and signed Cain. Needless to say those boards are full of clueless morons...same as all teams.

I don't see any path to the Brewers getting Archer without Brinson, but Odorizzi is a definite option. Santana is too much to pay for Odorizzi, so a trade like that would have to involve other players.
    They could sign Matt Adams and flip him for Odorizzi.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    They could sign Matt Adams and flip him for Odorizzi.
    The Nats already signed him so they could flip him for Realmuto. They will be paid roughly the same amount in 2018, so it makes too much sense not to happen.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-26-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I did not want us to overpay for Yelich in prospects or Cain in dollars, years, and draft pick yet I'm still bummed.

I guess we neeed to accept that we're punting 2018.
    Its the right move though. The future is so bright if we dont **** it up. I think the moves made this offseason put us in great financial position to make significant free agent moves next offseason but to also be able to sign our young players that have success in the majors. I know the Braves never seem to make a big splash but I think a big move to reignite fans interest makes sense. Signing Machado would signify to fans the rebuild is over and I think if we move Riley to LF we would have a pretty good team. The rotation should have no lack for candidates. I still think we could be pleasantly surprised this year if a few of the pitching prospects hit the ground running but we need another development year while riding off the bad contracts.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Anyone read anything Rangers related as to their plans for Profar?
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Anyone read anything Rangers related as to their plans for Profar?
    Ask is bound to still be too high.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

It’s a great plan. Return 85% of your roster that lost 90 games and make no good additions in the process. If they are aiming to only lose 88 games then they have the blueprint.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    It’s a great plan. Return 85% of your roster that lost 90 games and make no good additions in the process. If they are aiming to only lose 88 games then they have the blueprint.
    welcome back man.
    Coppy

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I said it back at the beginning and many times since. If you are going to rebuild then accept up front that it will take a minimum of 5 years, sell your good assets for best package available, tank for at least three years and build waves of young talent that will have a chance to be ready at the end of your rebuild process.

The Braves didn't do that so now instead of having a couple of bad years left as part of a plan they've got a couple of bad years left that will be forced on the team without the benefit of the moves in the plan or the added talent that could have been acquired.

Now you've got a aging and value diminishing Teheran and Markakis, a player in Freeman passing his prime years and heading into an ultimate decline phase and end of contract, the remnants of bad contracts still hanging around that limit what you can do and players being rushed to the ML, burning their control, with no significant impact on the W/L total.

Their plan sucked from the beginning and likely will lead to a very short lived window of opportunity that quickly leads to another rebuild.