Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't think I ever remember an off season without a single FA signing
    We'll sign people. Just no one important. Because of how weak this class is everyone is taking a patient approach.

I think Brett Anderson to a 1-2 year deal will be our big move.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    We'll sign people. Just no one important. Because of how weak this class is everyone is taking a patient approach.

I think Brett Anderson to a 1-2 year deal will be our big move.
    Why? Is he really needed?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't think I ever remember an off season without a single FA signing
    Yeah. This is crazy.

I think Moylan is going to happen, but other than that I'm not sure if we're going to do anything.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Hard pass on Realmuto. Catcher is not a worry even next year unless Flowers really falls off for some reason. We could sign him back pretty reasonably I’d say.
    I'd pass on Realmuto as well. I think Grandal is a great fit and Flowers is a nice fallback option.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Just to be clear I AM NOT advocating trading for Realmuto. I think everyone by now knows where I stand so that's no surprise.

I was however curious as to what people would deem an appropriate return. Fedde and Kieboom (2 former 1st rounders) are the gNats #3 and #4 prospects and would likely correlate to the end of most top 100 lists (or just off) which would put them in the area of Riley and Fried (or Wentz).

BTW, I think Fedde should change the spelling of his name to Fidde.
    I might trade flowers for Keiboom. Just sign Flowers next year.

Nats are throwing a lot of resources at catcher.

Heck if we took Weiters back we might be able to get that package from the Nats. Get it done.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I might trade flowers for Keiboom. Just sign Flowers next year.

Nats are throwing a lot of resources at catcher.

Heck if we took Weiters back we might be able to get that package from the Nats. Get it done.
    Depends on how much time they expect the young guys to be up. If they are going young in the rotation (Gohara, Fried, Sims, Allard-Soroka-Wright at some point) then they need a guy who handles pitching above all else.

If they are gong primarily with McCarthy, Teheran, Kazmir, Folty, maybe another FA signee or two then Flowers' value is probably mostly wasted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-30-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Why? Is he really needed?
    Just can't imagine AA would go near Anderson (10 foot pole and all) personally. With the vets (Teheran, McCarthy, Folty, potentially Kazmir) and Gohara and Newcomb already here that still leaves you Fried and Sims as fallbacks already on the 40-Man Roster plus Soroka, Allard, and potentially Wright pushing for a look during the second half. I could picture him signing a Chris Tillman/Jaime Garcia/John Lackey/Jeremy Hellickson type if they came cheap and he wanted someone to legitimately compete in the rotation and allow him to keep two of Gohara/Newcomb/Fried tucked away in Gwinnett to work on things early on, but there's really no need to take on a huge injury-risk at this point.

With KC still trying to ditch salaries to fit Hosmer in, I do wonder if he might work something out to land Kelvin Herrera to make the pen that much deeper. If there really is ~$15 million remaining and you could get Nunez for $7 million to play 3B and Herrera for $8 million to close, you could live with an Adams/Tucker platoon in LF for two weeks while you gamed Acuna's clock (maybe he could even get DMGM to toss in a little money).

That'd give you

Ender, Albies, Freeman, Flowers/Suzuki, Markakis, Nunez, Adams/Tucker, Swanson (Suzuki/Flowers, Tucker/Adams, Camargo, Culberson)

Teheran, McCarthy, Gohara, Folty, Newcomb

Herrera, Vizcaino, Minter, Ramirez, Freeman, Winkler, Ravin, Gomez

until Acuna comes up and Markakis moves to LF in mid-April.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-30-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Interesting article trying to project HR rate decliners in 2018 has Domingo Santana as a prime candidate: https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/10...ate-decliners/

I haven't reallly looked into this guy's methodology, but a quick check shows Santana has HR/FB rates of 27.6%, 27.5%, and 30.9% in his 3 seasons (keep in mind the first 2 are partial seasons).

Lowering his HR rate to 21% for his 2017 numbers puts his season total at 21, and probably lowers his OPS to around his projected 2018 value of .825. This might be why the Brewers are having a hard time finding a trade partner for him, as other teams likely project him to be a ~2 win good hitter rather than a 3+ win middle of the order thumper...with guaranteed bad defense in either scenario.

The article also has a link to the projected HR rate surgers, where we see Camargo listed (along with Rio Ruiz and board favorite Yandy Diaz): https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/10...ate-surgers-2/

The whole debate about Camargo is whether or not the power he flashed (.154 ISO in MLB, .174 ISO in AAA) is real. If this guy is right, Camargo's power spike is real, and he will easily outpace his .703 OPS projection that holds him down to ~1 WAR.

We've already discussed how Camargo was the 3rd luckiest Brave in 2017 according to xwOBA. The 2 guys ahead of him are consist of one guy who has demonstrated some sort of skill to constantly beat his xwOBA (Inciarte), and one guy who almost certainly just got lucky (Suzuki). Camargo isn't particularly fast, but he does spray the ball around a decent amount, and he bats LHed a lot of the time...so he has 2 of the 3 skills that tend to lead to guys consistently beating their xwOBA.

While Camargo was lucky, Ruiz was just as unlucky...bar far the unluckiest Brave in 2017. According to xwOBA and average exit velocity, he should have been a better offensive player than Camargo in 2017.

The correct answer at 3B is probably the simplist one: see what Camargo can do with 500 PAs, and maybe give Ruiz another look as well.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-30-2018), DirkPiggler (01-30-2018), JohnAdcox (01-30-2018), jpx7 (01-30-2018), Ozzie Swanson (01-30-2018), Super (01-30-2018), TURBO (01-31-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    More on Braves rotation from MLBTR

The Braves plan to have a spirited Spring Training competition for rotation jobs, as manager Brian Snitker tells Gabriel Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that as many as three starting spots could be up for grabs. Julio Teheran and Mike Foltynewicz have two slots spoken for, and the newly-acquired Brandon McCarthy will be a strong favorite for the third slot if healthy. That leaves the likes of Max Fried, Luiz Gohara, Lucas Sims, Sean Newcomb, and Mike Soroka battling for the remaining rotation spots, plus Scott Kazmir could also be a factor if he can recover from the injuries that sidelined him for all of the 2017 season. Atlanta is more likely to use the starters that don’t win jobs as relievers rather than again use a six-man rotation, Snitker said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    More on Braves rotation from MLBTR

The Braves plan to have a spirited Spring Training competition for rotation jobs, as manager Brian Snitker tells Gabriel Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that as many as three starting spots could be up for grabs. Julio Teheran and Mike Foltynewicz have two slots spoken for, and the newly-acquired Brandon McCarthy will be a strong favorite for the third slot if healthy. That leaves the likes of Max Fried, Luiz Gohara, Lucas Sims, Sean Newcomb, and Mike Soroka battling for the remaining rotation spots, plus Scott Kazmir could also be a factor if he can recover from the injuries that sidelined him for all of the 2017 season. Atlanta is more likely to use the starters that don’t win jobs as relievers rather than again use a six-man rotation, Snitker said.
    The "spring competition" theme being pushed by Snitker and the Braves strikes me as being more a fake competition thing. The rotation spots belong to Teheran, Folty, McCarthy, Newcomb and Gohara. And are theirs to lose. Barring injury or massively disappointing performance, they will be our opening day rotation.

It is a truism that every player has to earn his way every year. But some players do not have to do much in spring training to hold on to their spots.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-31-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    TWO WEEKS LEFT

Getting harder and harder to believe that AA's going to pass on Frazier at this point. While everybody's dancing around, just go offer him 2 years/$25 million and backload whatever you need to backload - I'm sure Freeman or Teheran will move money around if you tack on another year to their deals (and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea anyway).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I would still prefer Gohard to start in AAA. Won’t be devistated if he isn’t. But I don’t want Fried wasting away in pen because twitner doesn’t know how to use him.
    Coppy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    TWO WEEKS LEFT

Getting harder and harder to believe that AA's going to pass on Frazier at this point. While everybody's dancing around, just go offer him 2 years/$25 million and backload whatever you need to backload - I'm sure Freeman or Teheran will move money around if you tack on another year to their deals (and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea anyway).
    I think AA has correctly identified 2018 as a punt year so he isn't trying to make a big splash. We frontloaded all of our money onto this year for a reason. I think AA wants to have as much flexibility as possible next offseason and I also think he wants to have a season to evaluate our young pitchers and infielders like Camargo and Ruiz. We need to have as much information as possible regarding them. Frazier is counterproductive to both purposes. Stand pat this offseason, use this year to develop and evaluate our young MLB roster, and make more informed decisions next year with a maximum amount of financial flexibility. I believe this to be the correct path for 2018

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I would still prefer Gohard to start in AAA. Won’t be devistated if he isn’t. But I don’t want Fried wasting away in pen because twitner doesn’t know how to use him.
    I think Fried will either be in the rotation or AAA. I think putting him in the pen right now would be a mistake. He needs time to develop a better fastball

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Evad (01-31-2018), JohnAdcox (01-31-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I think Fried will either be in the rotation or AAA. I think putting him in the pen right now would be a mistake. He needs time to develop a better fastball
    He is moving away from his injury. He needs to build up 130+ Innings this year to see how he handles it.

Another guy I wonder if they would consider some spot starts is Winkler. He has a glass arm but good stuff.
    Coppy

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    TWO WEEKS LEFT

Don't see that at all. I think you will see the opposite if anything where players are going to become less likely to allow themselves to be contractually controlled into their 32 yo season. I think we will see the industry move more to contracts ending around the 30 YO season because players want a chance at another big payday before they are done and are seeing that you are more likely to get a 5-6 deal at a good AAV if you're 30 as opposed to when you are 32. For Freeman to agree to 1. take less money AAV and 2. add another year to his existing deal thereby jeopardizing his next and likely final contract seems very unlikely.

Teheran might be different since there is a good chance he is out of baseball at the end of his current deal.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i still can't believe i am going to have to endure another year of Markakis
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (01-31-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Teheran might be different since there is a good chance he is out of baseball at the end of his current deal.
    Define “good chance”. I don’t see him out of baseball in 2020. He will be 30 and still probably throwing g 175+ innings.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    uhhh wha
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Would the price be dropping on these guys so close to ST?
    Ivermectin Man