Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'd pass on Realmuto as well. I think Grandal is a great fit and Flowers is a nice fallback option.
    Don't forget Corky!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Would the price be dropping on these guys so close to ST?
    Theoretically, yes. Fangraphs (I know) had an article up that showed free agents signing before and after the new year saw a dramatic decrease in salary even if they provided roughly the same value on the field. And the closer it got to ST the worse it got for the players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    If I'm the Braves, I try to convince Frazier to sign on a one year deal with a mutual option and a 1.5 million buyout. Sell him on the new park and how it should inflate his power numbers and help make him more appealing in next year's market. It also gives him some security in case he stinks it up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If I'm the Braves, I try to convince Frazier to sign on a one year deal with a mutual option and a 1.5 million buyout. Sell him on the new park and how it should inflate his power numbers and help make him more appealing in next year's market. It also gives him some security in case he stinks it up.
    Just a guess, but I imagine everyone involved in baseball is too smart to have a single season of inflated HR numbers for a 32 year old influence his next contract.

Every single MLB decision maker knows exactly what Todd Frazier is by now. Kind of like how everyone knew what Jaime Garcia was before he threw that good game right before he was traded, so therefore his trade value didn't increase at all.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-31-2018 at 02:47 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The longer the Frazier deal goes on I see him realizing if he has to take less money then he's going to play close to home with the Yankees or Mets.

I'd really go for Neil Walker if he's willing to play some 3B. He could play 2B and Ozzie move to SS if Swanson struggles. He could also play 1B when Freeman needs a breather.

He's a switch hitter and supposedly a great locker room guy. The injury bug is his only deal.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Ok calling it. Our biggest move (outside of the Kemp trade)...happens this week.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Looking at the Brewers they seem to be lacking in lefty arms.

Thave Brent Suter a 28 year old as a possible rotation option, Hader and Boone Logan in the pen and that's it. They have 2 lefty prospects in the bottom of their top 30 who have never pitched above A ball.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Moves I think could still happen…

Brett Phillips- I think a deal for Phillips makes sense. AA’s comments about Acuna being an up the middle player may state where he thinks Acuna will end up and in that case Phillips and his arm would be great for RF. As I stated before I believe LH pitching would be going back.

Adam Duvall- The Low OBP is an issue and one that frankly won’t change, but he’s got the power and defense and that’s what we’ve stated we’re looking for. He’d slot in nicely in the 4 hole behind Freeman this year and hopefully lower next season. A much larger deal to include Suarez as well would be ideal.

Peter Moylan- He’s in Atlanta and still close with many in the organization. He’d probably sign a below market deal and be a solid influence in a pen full of youngsters

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Moves I think could still happen…

Brett Phillips- I think a deal for Phillips makes sense. AA’s comments about Acuna being an up the middle player may state where he thinks Acuna will end up and in that case Phillips and his arm would be great for RF. As I stated before I believe LH pitching would be going back.

Adam Duvall- The Low OBP is an issue and one that frankly won’t change, but he’s got the power and defense and that’s what we’ve stated we’re looking for. He’d slot in nicely in the 4 hole behind Freeman this year and hopefully lower next season. A much larger deal to include Suarez as well would be ideal.

Peter Moylan- He’s in Atlanta and still close with many in the organization. He’d probably sign a below market deal and be a solid influence in a pen full of youngsters
    The Braves are going to have a lot of money to spend in 2019. They are going to have a lot of prospects to trade for MLB upgrades.

I'm hoping they shoot higher (much higher) than Phillips or Duvall for LF.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves are going to have a lot of money to spend in 2019. They are going to have a lot of prospects to trade for MLB upgrades.

I'm hoping they shoot higher (much higher) than Phillips or Duvall for LF.
    I would agree that the Braves should be looking for impact layers to fill the likely holes in 2019 (LF and 3B). Role players like Phillips and Duvall are fine if developed internally but they are going to need guys to push them over the hump in 2019. They need 3+ WAR guys manning those spots if at all possible.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Don't forget Corky!

You sure that's not Kemp "in the best shape of his life"?!?!?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-01-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Really have to wonder just how sneaky AA might be. He didn't close the door on anything in any recent interviews - mostly saying "we'll see" about pretty much everything.

Really not likely (of course), but the only chatter you hear about the top 4 SPs surrounds Darvish. With the Rangers supposedly out on Arrieta because of the money and the Cubs seemingly out on him, he'd obviously make tons of sense with all the young pitching that's close-to-ready if his deal could be backloaded. Adding him frees you up to trade at least one of Julio/Folty - if not both.

Certainly not a signing anyone would reasonably "expect", but AA's got a history of making surprising moves. An Arrieta, Gohara, Julio/Folty, Newcomb, McCarthy rotation sure would be pretty interesting until Fried/Soroka/Wright/Allard start forcing their way into it - and you could always include Allard and Fried in a Realmuto deal if the chance popped up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I wonder if the Braves could get Arizona interested in a trade of Markakis plus $5M for Shelby Miller.

Miller had TJ in early May 2017 and likely won't be back until mid season at the earliest and just won his arby case for a small raise to $4.9M for the coming year.

The Snakes also don't a real RF as they currently project to have Chris Owings (more of a Utility guy or even starter at short) to start there. If they do the deal with the Braves they would net out Markakis for about $1M for the upcoming season.

For the Braves it's a chance to at least get some value out of Markakis and possibly quite a lot if Miller comes back strong.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-01-2018), jpx7 (02-02-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I wonder if the Braves could get Arizona interested in a trade of Markakis plus $5M for Shelby Miller.

Miller had TJ in early May 2017 and likely won't be back until mid season at the earliest and just won his arby case for a small raise to $4.9M for the coming year.

The Snakes also don't a real RF as they currently project to have Chris Owings (more of a Utility guy or even starter at short) to start there. If they do the deal with the Braves they would net out Markakis for about $1M for the upcoming season.

For the Braves it's a chance to at least get some value out of Markakis and possibly quite a lot if Miller comes back strong.
    Not a bad idea.
    Coppy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-01-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Would love to have Shelby back, but I can’t see how Arizona makes that trade without some prospect capital.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Really have to wonder just how sneaky AA might be. He didn't close the door on anything in any recent interviews - mostly saying "we'll see" about pretty much everything.

Really not likely (of course), but the only chatter you hear about the top 4 SPs surrounds Darvish. With the Rangers supposedly out on Arrieta because of the money and the Cubs seemingly out on him, he'd obviously make tons of sense with all the young pitching that's close-to-ready if his deal could be backloaded. Adding him frees you up to trade at least one of Julio/Folty - if not both.

Certainly not a signing anyone would reasonably "expect", but AA's got a history of making surprising moves. An Arrieta, Gohara, Julio/Folty, Newcomb, McCarthy rotation sure would be pretty interesting until Fried/Soroka/Wright/Allard start forcing their way into it - and you could always include Allard and Fried in a Realmuto deal if the chance popped up.
    Signing a declining Arrieta during a punt year and then trading away young pitching for a catcher with terrible framing skills to handle a young pitching staff plus the recently signed declining veteran just makes too much sense not to happen.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-01-2018 at 05:44 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Evad (02-02-2018), jpx7 (02-02-2018)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Signing a declining Arrieta during a punt year and then trading away young pitching for a catcher with terrible framing skills to handle a young pitching staff plus the recently signed declining veteran just makes too much sense not to happen.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 8.00.01 PM.png

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (02-01-2018), Garmel (02-01-2018), Super (02-02-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Well played.
    Coppy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post

Maybe we can be friends?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-02-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Anybody know what happens if players with a QO don't sign before ST?

Does the QO continue to follow them forever until they sign?