Page 34 of 58 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I can wrap my head around why Moustakas and Walker have a limited market, but Frazier and Nunez seem to have a lot of possible fits . . . and still nothing has happened.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    That trade doesn't make sense from the Dodgers perspective, but picking up Forsythe on a smaller deal to be a stopgap 3B might make sense if the cost is insignificant. That is assuming you think he's a candidate to bounce back to his 15-16 production.
    Forsythe for some FV 40 prospect might make some sense for the Braves if he can play 3b. Extremely limited data says he can, and I would assume he’s fine over there.

I’m not sure he’s much of an upgrade over Camargo though. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him traded to Milwaukee with the Dodgers using an Utley/Enrique platoon at 2B.

If I’m the Nats I’m trying to get Grandal for a much lesser package than the Marlins are asking for Realmuto.

If I’m the Dodgers I’m trying to dump as much of Kemp’s deal for as little prospect capital as possible, even if that means using the return from trading Grandal or Forsythe in a package with Kemp.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-03-2018 at 12:55 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-03-2018), DirkPiggler (02-03-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I can wrap my head around why Moustakas and Walker have a limited market, but Frazier and Nunez seem to have a lot of possible fits . . . and still nothing has happened.

I've always liked Nunez, but he's a super-utility guy more than anything else, which puts a ceiling on him but also makes him attractive for a variety of reasons. He's kind of a "missing piece" guy more than anything resembling an anchor player. I'll have to admit to being a bit puzzled on the lack of a market for Moustakas, but I don't know what his asking price in terms of years and AAV are. He's been banged up in the past and his contact rate is going to determine his value more than a lot of other guys. I wouldn't go more than 3 years on him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-03-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    What teams even want a 3b right now? If Frazier goes to the Yankees, Nunez goes to the Mets, what teams would even be left to bid on Walker and Moose other than the Braves. Hell even Harrison is easily available from the Pirates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've always liked Nunez, but he's a super-utility guy more than anything else, which puts a ceiling on him but also makes him attractive for a variety of reasons. He's kind of a "missing piece" guy more than anything resembling an anchor player. I'll have to admit to being a bit puzzled on the lack of a market for Moustakas, but I don't know what his asking price in terms of years and AAV are. He's been banged up in the past and his contact rate is going to determine his value more than a lot of other guys. I wouldn't go more than 3 years on him.
    I think the tough thing for Moustakas is that he's an everyday regular type that requires draft pick compensation and is asking for a longer term deal. Frazier and Nunez are only a small step back (arguably) from him as far as on-field production and can be acquired for less $ and risk.

One Braves / Moustakas angle that has occurred to me though is that he would only require our 4th round pick, if I'm understanding the rules right. Reports last year were that the Braves barely qualified as a revenue sharing team, but probably won't again this year. So they only need to surrender their 3rd draft pick if they sign a QO free agent. Since they lost their third round pick due to the scandal (or whatever it is we're calling that), their third pick would be a 4th rounder.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-03-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think the tough thing for Moustakas is that he's an everyday regular type that requires draft pick compensation and is asking for a longer term deal. Frazier and Nunez are only a small step back (arguably) from him as far as on-field production and can be acquired for less $ and risk.

One Braves / Moustakas angle that has occurred to me though is that he would only require our 4th round pick, if I'm understanding the rules right. Reports last year were that the Braves barely qualified as a revenue sharing team, but probably won't again this year. So they only need to surrender their 3rd draft pick if they sign a QO free agent. Since they lost their third round pick due to the scandal (or whatever it is we're calling that), their third pick would be a 4th rounder.
    I could see the Braves going 4 years $68M with it lining up like: $4M bonus, $10M, $14M, $20M, $20M

That would give them another year or two to look at Riley plus they would have picked up Mous at a relative bargain AND only lost a 4th rounder in the process. If things go well, then in a couple of years they bring up a more than ready Riley and trade Mous. The big drawback is that he's a LH hitter. Before Acuna comes up that probably means you'd see a Freeman, Flowers/Suzuki, Moustakas run. Not sure Snit would be willing to slot Acuna between those two right away either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-03-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Forsythe for some FV 40 prospect might make some sense for the Braves if he can play 3b. Extremely limited data says he can, and I would assume he’s fine over there.

I’m not sure he’s much of an upgrade over Camargo though. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him traded to Milwaukee with the Dodgers using an Utley/Enrique platoon at 2B.

If I’m the Nats I’m trying to get Grandal for a much lesser package than the Marlins are asking for Realmuto.

If I’m the Dodgers I’m trying to dump as much of Kemp’s deal for as little prospect capital as possible, even if that means using the return from trading Grandal or Forsythe in a package with Kemp.

Forsythe was a solid defensive 3B in college, but that was a long time ago. I'd bet he could still handle it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-03-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I didn't think of the QO angle. That certainly changes teams' approach to him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    What teams even want a 3b right now? If Frazier goes to the Yankees, Nunez goes to the Mets, what teams would even be left to bid on Walker and Moose other than the Braves. Hell even Harrison is easily available from the Pirates.
    Royals
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Royals
    Who are obviously out if they hope to bring back Hosmer - which has been widely been assumed to be their preference.

Kinda funny thing about that though - their current depth charts have Dozier projected as their 1B as is, and you'd think that signing Moose and playing Dozier at 1B would be a much better use of their limited resources since it'd allow them to spend money elsewhere. If they did that, they'd probably be in a position to bring in at least one (if not two) guys from the Garcia/Lackey/Tillman crowd on the cheap that would certainly have a chance to make their rotation much better.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

It seems Frazier ends up with the Yankees or Mets. If Nunez signs with the Mets, then I could see him even signing a one year deal with the Yankees just to stay in NY.

That said, I still would like to see us sign Nunez.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 02-03-2018 at 06:10 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Would anyone be interested I Logan Morrison for lf on a one year plus player option?

Lh pop who could be had for cheap. Really should be 1b or dh. We still have neck.

Seems like a good asset to have if you can afford it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Would anyone be interested I Logan Morrison for lf on a one year plus player option?

Lh pop who could be had for cheap. Really should be 1b or dh. We still have neck.

What do you do with Neck when Acuna is up,
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Why on earth would you sign Morrison and play him out of position when you just let Adams walk BECAUSE you didn't want him wasting away on the bench to play him out of position occasionally?

Not much of an "asset" when everyone knows you're only going to give him a handful of ABs a week.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Why on earth would you sign Morrison and play him out of position when you just let Adams walk BECAUSE you didn't want him wasting away on the bench to play him out of position occasionally?

Not much of an "asset" when everyone knows you're only going to give him a handful of ABs a week.
    I'd think the rationale would have to be that he's substantially cheaper than Adams, which I'm not sure would be the case. I'd imagine Adams would still be here if his cost was going to be closer to $1.5 million than $4.5 million.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Morrison is much better
    Morrison would likely be bad in of but still dig better than Adams or Kemp

I’d keep acuna down and make him earn his way up. Then use neck as a pinch hitter.

I think aa has to be creative and see if he can get someone on the cheap and make us better

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Per MLBTR, the Rays have been ordered to reduce payroll. Should the Braves have any interest in Corey Dickerson for LF?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    Per MLBTR, the Rays have been ordered to reduce payroll. Should the Braves have any interest in Corey Dickerson for LF?
    From a roll of dimes to a roll of nickels?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    From a roll of dimes to a roll of nickels?
    Just move em to Nashville