Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Thought it was stated here the other day that Frazier would take less to stay at home in New York
    It was implied by some reports, not sure if he actually said that exactly. But either way I got that idea all along all things considered. Further, I wouldn't assume we didn't offer him more. We may have and still got turned down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I suspect Frazier preferred NYY to NYM, but he fits the Mets needs better. Nice move by them to beat out their cross-town rivals.

I continue to think our realistic fit in this 3B market is the player or team that has nowhere left to turn. Nunez may have too many suitors to be that guy. Moustakas a growing possibility, and there could also be a desperate trade partner if we stay patient.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I suspect Frazier preferred NYY to NYM, but he fits the Mets needs better. Nice move by them to beat out their cross-town rivals.
    I agree that he preferred the NYY, in fact I have no doubt about that. But he fit the Mets needs better as you say (and probably got tired of waiting for a better offer from the NYY).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

I continue to think our realistic fit in this 3B market is the player or team that has nowhere left to turn. Nunez may have too many suitors to be that guy. Moustakas a growing possibility, and there could also be a desperate trade partner if we stay patient.
    How many suitors do you think makes sense for Nunez, just curious? It will be interesting to see what happens with Moose, etc.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

At some price point Mous starts to make sense.

What is that price point? Based on everything we know, that price point has to include a 2018 salary well under $10M.

First, for the sake of discussion, let’s assume the deal would have to be backloaded such that Mous is paid ~$8M in 2018.

Second, let’s assume the Braves won’t be giving up a pick to sign Mous to a 1 year deal.

Third, let’s assume the Braves don’t want to pay him past his age 33 season. Based on this research, 33 seems to be the magic age of decline for position players: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/play...errible-at-30/

That leaves us with a 4 year deal.

Fourth, we look at his projected contract of 5/85 to 5/95, and realize the Braves would need a significant discount from that $17-$19M AAV.

Something like 4/62 broken up as 8/17/18/19 seems like a great bargain that should make the Braves think about taking the plunge.

Of course I blabbered like this when I suggested Cain at 3/45, and then the Brewers went and gave him 5/80. However, Mous doesn’t make sense for the Braves unless he comes at that much of a discount.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Thought it was stated here the other day that Frazier would take less to stay at home in New York
    Of course not - NO player signs below-market deals these days.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    How many suitors do you think makes sense for Nunez, just curious? It will be interesting to see what happens with Moose, etc.
    I think the thing with Nunez that may be slowing down his signing is he views himself as a starter and some of the suitors may view him as one of the best (if not the best) super-utility guy in the game. He's a fit for a lot of teams because of his versatility.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    There was a comment from Moore the other day on MooseTacos....basically said that the Royals are all in on Hosmer and not MooseTacos....he said that Moose told them his intentions and didn't really have KC as a priority.....

“We have options at third,” said Moore. “I wouldn’t say absolutely not. We want to make it clear that Hos is the player that fits us for the future. I want to get through the Hosmer negotiations before we work on Moustakas. … Moustakas had some expectations that were a little different, places he wanted to play. It was clear from the beginning that we weren’t a high priority.”

That being said, who else are suitors for him...? We really are a perfect fit with the hitter friendly Suntrust Park
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    At some price point Mous starts to make sense.

What is that price point? Based on everything we know, that price point has to include a 2018 salary well under $10M.

First, for the sake of discussion, let’s assume the deal would have to be backloaded such that Mous is paid ~$8M in 2018.

Second, let’s assume the Braves won’t be giving up a pick to sign Mous to a 1 year deal.

Third, let’s assume the Braves don’t want to pay him past his age 33 season. Based on this research, 33 seems to be the magic age of decline for position players: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/play...errible-at-30/

That leaves us with a 4 year deal.

Fourth, we look at his projected contract of 5/85 to 5/95, and realize the Braves would need a significant discount from that $17-$19M AAV.

Something like 4/62 broken up as 8/17/18/19 seems like a great bargain that should make the Braves think about taking the plunge.

Of course I blabbered like this when I suggested Cain at 3/45, and then the Brewers went and gave him 5/80. However, Mous doesn’t make sense for the Braves unless he comes at that much of a discount.

I agree that Moose only makes sense if he's a real bargain.

But even paying him 8 million brings the payroll to 124 million, with probably a couple more moves to get it in the 125-130 range. The AJC had the Braves opening day payroll in 2017 at 126.1 million. http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/w...HPzU15Yp41qvI/

If they Braves are looking at backloading a significant free agent it suggests their payroll has the flexibility to be in the vicinity of where it started last season.

The fact the GM has said they are considering the possibility suggests they have some room left to add some players. I think the issue they are facing is that they may want to add 2-3 smaller pieces and one have the 10-15 million to work with.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    The Braves couldn’t afford 2/17 for Frazier.

Still think payroll isn’t decreasing in 2018?
    Already responded in the other thread. But it's clear he took less money to stay in NY. Whether the Braves could have paid him more is rather irrelevant. He likely wasn't coming to ATL short of a 15 million AAV contract or more.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Already responded in the other thread. But it's clear he took less money to stay in NY. Whether the Braves could have paid him more is rather irrelevant. He likely wasn't coming to ATL short of a 15 million AAV contract or more.
    LOL, ok buddy. I look forward to all your future excuses.

This will be fun.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I believe both that we’re not willing to spend much on 2018 and Frazier wanted to be in NY. Sometimes it happens.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    LOL, ok buddy. I look forward to all your future excuses.

This will be fun.
    How many times must you be proven wrong before you'll admit it?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    What are the rules on sign and trade in mlb?

Could moose sign the qo and then the Royals trade him? Didn’t we do that with Soriano? And if you are traded then you can’t be given a qo next year , right?

I wonder at this point could the Royals sign him to the qo or a one plus one and then trade him for more than the comp pick value. Maybe even send him plus 10 million, could they get a 50 fav then?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    What are the rules on sign and trade in mlb?

Could moose sign the qo and then the Royals trade him? Didn’t we do that with Soriano? And if you are traded then you can’t be given a qo next year , right?

I wonder at this point could the Royals sign him to the qo or a one plus one and then trade him for more than the comp pick value. Maybe even send him plus 10 million, could they get a 50 fav then?
    Crazy idea that will never happen

Moose signs with royals for 15 with a team option for 20 with a five million buy out. Then another team option for 22 with a 3 million buy out. Then 25 with a one million buy out. Let’s boras save face some.

Trade him to braves for neck (sending money) Ruiz (play now 3b) and fried or newk. Does that package beat a sandwich pick and not spending 11 million on neck? I think they’d rather take the pick but I’m bored and I like crazy ideas.

And I do think the pick is a big deal to atl given we already lost one and no international talent.

Worst case scenario for moose is 20 million in his pocket and back a free agent with Donaldson and machado.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Proven wrong?

Let's see what you have to say when the opening day payroll is set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Proven wrong?

Let's see what you have to say when the opening day payroll is set.
    Do you think all teams spend 100% of their payroll on April 1st?
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Should've known better - he'll follow you around for the rest of your life.

*ell, he's probably already got your picture tacked to the ceiling above the couch in his Mom's basement already.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do you think all teams spend 100% of their payroll on April 1st?
    No. But do you think most teams leave the same % of wiggle room to start the year? If the Braves payroll is really 130 right now would you keep it at ~116 to start the year?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    No. But do you think most teams leave the same % of wiggle room to start the year? If the Braves payroll is really 130 right now would you keep it at ~116 to start the year?
    Why not?

Assuming AA is being honest when he says he wants to get his own look at all these prospects BEFORE deciding who to trade (or not to trade), why would you back yourself into the corner that you can't afford the player you would consider trading for?

We're fans - of course we want him to run out and get players to fill holes before camp starts.

If we're going to entertain the blackjack dealer's wet dream of going after Donaldson and that the Jays somehow can't work out an extension with him before the deadline, somebody's going to have to pay the $11.5 million he's due during the second half of 2018. If AA thinks he's actually got a legitimate shot at extending him and could get him at the deadline for a reasonable prospect cost, every dime they save now would could come in handy, no?

I don't think anyone realistically expects that to happen, but it sure would suck to know that Donaldson's actually willing to sign here long-term without testing the market and that you couldn't trade for him because you couldn't afford to pay him for 3 months this summer because you spent the money on Frazier or Nunez wouldn't it?
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-06-2018 at 04:04 PM.