Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    They arguably did with Fulmer already. He could have gotten a haul prior to surgery and could see his value plummet.
    Fulmer was having elbow issues all season, so I’m not sure that’s fair. When they decided to rebuild his injury concerns were already well publicized.

If he is gone by this coming trade deadline I think the Tigers will have done as well as could be reasonably expected.

High School Draftee biggentleben's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Agree with Brewers and Twins, I am not a fan of Moore though. I was estatic when we got AA instead.
    Don't disagree there at all. I like Moore more as a "manager" and less of the hands-on stuff. The idea of Moore as president of baseball ops with another as a GM is the only way I was on board with him coming to the team, but the Royals wanted much too much in return.
    Gus: You don't know anything about scouting.
    Johnny: Don't tell them that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    No, I said the player the team traded for $1.25M of IFA money would rank better for me than Waters in my 2018 prospect list. Heck, I'm not sure I'd even hold to Ventura better than Waters if you asked me to project 5 years, but right now, I see a higher floor for Ventura's developed skills and developing other skills. Waters is a lot of high school hype and 58 PA in the GCL that looked good, but he also struck out nearly 1/3 of the time he came to the plate and showed very rough ability to handle struggles in his time in Danville. I'll take the guy I've seen positively handle adversity and still have positive projection left whose tools may not be as high ceiling over the guy who has struggled with the first exposure to adversity he had and has a significantly low floor still.

Heck, I'm not even saying I'd have him 10 spots higher on my list, just that I'd have Ventura higher.

I spend my time reviewing hundreds and thousands of hours of game film and speaking with guys who are there in person when I cannot be. I'm not making random comments on players for the sport of it...
    Thousands of hours of game film? You spend 5 hours a day, every day of the year watching film? And you also have time to “spend an hour in google chat” talking about guys in the Red Sox system?

How do you find time to compete in wing eating contests?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Don't disagree there at all. I like Moore more as a "manager" and less of the hands-on stuff. The idea of Moore as president of baseball ops with another as a GM is the only way I was on board with him coming to the team, but the Royals wanted much too much in return.
    Have any insight what they wanted? Also, did you hear anything in regards to Tinnish? Seemed odd.

Lastly what do you know about Whitley? Do you think the promise to start portends to particular trades?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Being on board with Moore in any way speaks volumes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well, where are we right now:

48 is replacement

Bench and pen: 4 (running total 52)
    Flowers: 2(54)
    Freeman: 5(59)
    Albies: 3(62)
    Swanson: 1(63)
    Camargo: 1(64)
    Acuna: 2(66)
    Inciarte: 3(69)
    Kemp/Muk in left: 1(70)
    Teheran: 2.5 (72.5)
    Folty: 2.5 (75)
    Gohara: 2.5 (77.5)
    Newcomb: 2 (79.5)
    Veteran Starter: 1.5 (81)

If we can pick up a couple more wins along the expected win curve by having someone like Cozart, I think it is worth doing regardless of how we handle the situation in left.
    The way I see it is the Braves need to focus their assets on just 1 or 2 parts of the team in terms of an additional monetary committmeent whether that be on the FA market or via trade. When I look at the team the obvious needs are RP/LF and not so obvious 3B/SS/SP. The only way I forsee a Bravse high 80 team is that they apply these limited funds (unfortunately it seems they are in fact limited) on RP and/or LF. The Braves are going to need to have a young player on the roster step up and provide more then what is projected. Maybe thats Swanson. Maybe its Camargo. Heck, maybe Albies is a 6 WAR player next year who knows. But I think you have to give the guys a chance already on the roster a chance to show that. We absolutely need RP help. There is just not enough arms for a full season and we can't expect guys like Freeman to just as good next season. LF is what it is. I see a platoon of Neck/Kemp to be decent so if we only have 20-30 million to spend I don't want a major chunk of that to be on a position (3B) where there is an internal option capable of providing 2-3 WAR at league minimum.

I just don't see 3B as a position we should be filling long term right now. We need a year to evaluate what we have internally before that decision is made. Now we definitely need an outfielder as there just isn't a third guy there for another 2+ years. Maybe Pache can advance quickly but we need more of an offensive option under the assumption that Ender is here long term.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Thousands of hours of game film? You spend 5 hours a day, every day of the year watching film? And you also have time to “spend an hour in google chat” talking about guys in the Red Sox system?

How do you find time to compete in wing eating contests?
    Writing about the scouting I do is my job. I don't watch every second of between inning stuff, which cuts a 3-hour game down by almost half, especially when you can jump forward on pitching changes and other such things as well. So when you can turn 300 hours of game film into 150 hours of time invested to process, you can watch over 1,000 hours in a year pretty quickly when adding major league, minor league, and amateur video all together.

I do have 5 foster kids, though, that take most of the rest of my time, so no contests to speak of - though I'm not a wing fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The way I see it is the Braves need to focus their assets on just 1 or 2 parts of the team in terms of an additional monetary committmeent whether that be on the FA market or via trade. When I look at the team the obvious needs are RP/LF and not so obvious 3B/SS/SP. The only way I forsee a Bravse high 80 team is that they apply these limited funds (unfortunately it seems they are in fact limited) on RP and/or LF. The Braves are going to need to have a young player on the roster step up and provide more then what is projected. Maybe thats Swanson. Maybe its Camargo. Heck, maybe Albies is a 6 WAR player next year who knows. But I think you have to give the guys a chance already on the roster a chance to show that. We absolutely need RP help. There is just not enough arms for a full season and we can't expect guys like Freeman to just as good next season. LF is what it is. I see a platoon of Neck/Kemp to be decent so if we only have 20-30 million to spend I don't want a major chunk of that to be on a position (3B) where there is an internal option capable of providing 2-3 WAR at league minimum.

I just don't see 3B as a position we should be filling long term right now. We need a year to evaluate what we have internally before that decision is made. Now we definitely need an outfielder as there just isn't a third guy there for another 2+ years. Maybe Pache can advance quickly but we need more of an offensive option under the assumption that Ender is here long term.
    We have two unproven guys on the left side of the infield. To me that's a big area of need. Get someone else who has had success at the major league level that can help out. With 3 players they can each get 400-500 PAs.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    We have two unproven guys on the left side of the infield. To me that's a big area of need. Get someone else who has had success at the major league level that can help out. With 3 players they can each get 400-500 PAs.
    Yes - They are unproven but each has a pedigree to be at least a league average player and maybe a little more. The same can't be said for RP/LF and we have scarce resources.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The Mariners also soured on his work habits, including the weight issue. Which might yet turn out to be something that significantly affects his ability to reach his potential.
    I agree. I'm not sure the Mariners were wrong though they ended up getting nothing at all out of the trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I agree. I'm not sure the Mariners were wrong though they ended up getting nothing at all out of the trade.
    I want to know the scout that pushed the Braves to trade for him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They converted a lottery ticket pitcher into a MLB SP with 2 years of control. That is a solid transaction to make, even though Smyly got hurt and Gohara appears to have made huge strides. As usual, trades can’t be judged with hindsight when a lottery ticket hits.

Their process flaw is thinking they are contenders and making win now moves when they are actually terrible. They also seem to have major issues in their player development (not necessarily scouting) department.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I want to know the scout that pushed the Braves to trade for him.
    Interestingly, all three Mariners who were there when Kiley was working with Fangraphs got absolutely glowing reviews from him. I wonder how much his influence had on their acquisition, especially since he's the one who wanted out of the front office and back into the field to do more direct scouting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to biggentleben For This Useful Post:

thethe (12-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Interestingly, all three Mariners who were there when Kiley was working with Fangraphs got absolutely glowing reviews from him. I wonder how much his influence had on their acquisition, especially since he's the one who wanted out of the front office and back into the field to do more direct scouting.
    Thats interesting. I was 100% in favor of a total cleansing of the top of the organization. However, I still believe in the scouting network and hope the key guys hang around.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They converted a lottery ticket pitcher into a MLB SP with 2 years of control. That is a solid transaction to make, even though Smyly got hurt and Gohara appears to have made huge strides. As usual, trades can’t be judged with hindsight when a lottery ticket.
    I’m relieved that you agree.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Frazier I’m down with is it’s 2 years. 3 max

I hate moose. Are we going to give up another pick for a low obp guy?

I would stay. I would play comargo and Ruiz. Kemp can be cut or only be the worlds most expensive ph.

Use the money to take on a bad deal for talent.

But we won’t do that. Klaw said in chat that aa relives in keeping elite guys and trading the rest. We will make three big trades and get older. I hate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Klaw said in chat that aa relives in keeping elite guys and trading the rest.
    I think that's the way to go. If things go according to plan in a couple years we will have an Elite Six and everyone else will be a supporting player and it really doesn't matter much who those guys are.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-04-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Jerry Crasnick reports the Braves are our on Ohtani. I’m crushed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Huge mistake. Had an opportunity to learn under Kempkakis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Surprised after the strong endorsement by Kawakami-san

"I am your retribution."