Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Church shooting - Sutherland Springs, Texas

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Question for the folks who want to abolish the 2nd amendment.

Let's say we get our "common sense gun laws" (whatever that means)... let's say you get AR-15s banned and bump stocks banned, and background checks on all gun sales.

Then a guy illegally obtains an AR-15 and shoots up a church.

What's the next action?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you're just being silly now
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    for the people that think the 2nd amendment can't be revisited at all

at the same convention they wrote that they said black people could be owned and were only 3/5ths of a person

we can stop acting like those that wrote one of the best documents (at least in parts) in modern history were infallible people

i really wish they would have gone with the plan of rewriting it every few years to keep up with the changing times that was pitched by Jefferson etc

it's also, a FUKING AMENDMENT
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    So none of yall care that the cops let a man go that shot up a black church?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Let's say we get our "common sense gun laws" (whatever that means)... let's say you get AR-15s banned and bump stocks banned, and background checks on all gun sales.

What's the next action?
    This is an honest question. Y'all say you don't wish to confiscate weapons. So let's say we do your "common sense" gun laws... what happens if someone illegally obtains a weapon, goes to a gun-free zone, and kills a bunch of people.

What will be you next call to action?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    what happens if someone illegally obtains a weapon, goes to a gun-free zone, and kills a bunch of people.
    Something about this scenario seems familiar...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Nice article.

We don’t know what motivated him – there may well be a variety of factors as my article states. What is being asked is why if he had expressed views about hating black people and had killed black people that would have been considered as a potential motive. or he was homophobic and attacked a gay club that would have been considered as a potential motive; but the fact that he expressed hatred of Christians is apparently irrelevant to the fact that he entered a church and killed 26 Christians. Why such double standards?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Ok, so if the police come out today and say he was motivated by his hate for christians what does that change?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

What's the next action?
    This is every day in Chicago. Not a peep said.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I think any gun outside of hunting guns should be banned except for law enforcement/military. What purpose does an assault rifle serve outside of killing another human being? We shouldn't have stuff like this in America, let the military and the police force have them and use them for appropriate purposes.

But I digress, we have over 100 mil illegal weapons out there and 90% of those that have them are not going to turn them in. We could ban all weapons but they will still be out there and sold to the highest bidder who wants to commit a massacre.

I really don't see what we can do about it, taking away the only way people can defend themselves is going to be tough but again none of these mass murders had anyone to shoot back in that vicinity until the other day but it was too late, perhaps the hero avoided more slaughter no one knows, but we do know if someone can shoot back, they will.

A very huge conundrum, ban guns, illegal weapons would be even more widespread or mass killings move on to even more dangerous weapons like improvised bombs from material you can get at Wally world or Ace Hardware.....or drive a Hummer on the street, which is even more dangerous than a moving van.

In the end the murderers or terrorist are getting the last laugh because we are still fighting over what should we do and in the end, nothing will prevent things like this. Only vigilance and tattle-telling can brunt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    This is an honest question. Y'all say you don't wish to confiscate weapons. So let's say we do your "common sense" gun laws... what happens if someone illegally obtains a weapon, goes to a gun-free zone, and kills a bunch of people.

What will be you next call to action?
    ...anyone?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    ...anyone?
    I'll bite.

I don't think we should evaluate policy based off individual events. I'm not under the delusion that there is a magic bullet policy to fix gun violence. I just believe that restricting gun access on a mass scale will help prevent some of these shootings. Perhaps that intuition is wrong, but the data will show over time either way.

... It would interesting if the CDC was able to actually fund studies regarding gun control.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2017), sturg33 (11-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Any of the usual suspects care to answer. I'd love to understand how this progresses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-daughter.html

Hero father, 15, grabs his gun and chases gang who tried to abduct his daughter, 17, before cops stop the fleeing kidnappers on the highway and find guns, a knife and roll of tape inside their vehicle
    A Florida father is being hailed as a hero after he bravely confronted a gang of teens who allegedly attempted to kidnap his daughter.

Amber Brackney, 17, was leaving the family home on Preservation Path, Crestview on Tuesday evening, when she found the end of her driveway blocked with barrels.

Suspecting foul play, the teen stayed in her car and was able to maneuver around the obstacles to escape down the street - without ever leaving her vehicle.

Amber's funeral director father Terry Brackney heard the commotion, grabbed his gun and ran outside to find a group of teens trying to force their way into his garage.

Cops believe the teens had 'concocted a plan to kidnap the teenage daughter' by trying to force her to leave her car to move the barrels, so they could grab her.

Mr Brackney, 51, opened fire on the group who fled into the woods, according to Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office.

He later discovered they had been unscrewing some of his security lights, possibly for a second kidnap attempt.

A neighbor, who witnessed a 'suspicious car' fleeing from the scene, called the cops who stopped the 2016 White Jeep Liberty on Highway 4 and made a felony traffic stop.

Inside they found Keilon Johnson, 19, Austin French, 17, 16-year old Tyree Johnson, and 15-year old Kamauri Horn, along with a knife, guns and a roll of tape.

I'm glad our laws allowed this father and homeowner to protect his family and home from those willing to commit criminal acts with guns.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    [B]Hero father, .
    The real hero is that feminist who made bread out of her own vaginally yeast

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Any of the usual suspects care to answer. I'd love to understand how this progresses.
    If it helps any, gotcha questions aren't very fun to answer. Maybe try asking your question under a different pretense that isn't all gun control advocates are reactionaries.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If it helps any, gotcha questions aren't very fun to answer. Maybe try asking your question under a different pretense that isn't all gun control advocates are reactionaries.
    It's not a gotcha question. It's... Let's say yiu get your common sense gun laws and it happens again... What do we do next, since obviously laws are the answer

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,015 Posts
    Nothing is going to stop every single one. It's about doing something to try to stop as many from happening. It's about making sure **** like the military forgetting to record convictions and other instances that allow crazy ****ers like this to get guns doesn't happen and if it does then people lose their jobs.. That way we won't get tone deaf ****ty responses like "we're gonna rectify this" as if they can bring 26 people back to life. I know some people would rather do nothing because the government is coming for us but I for one am sick of this ****.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    It's not a gotcha question. It's... Let's say yiu get your common sense gun laws and it happens again... What do we do next, since obviously laws are the answer
    It might not be a "gotcha question", but it's certainly a question starting from a false pretext. Nobody advocating for a more robust legal-regulatory intervention is arguing that such measures would prevent every mass-shooting or eliminate all gun deaths. Such measures represent a strategy of mitigation—both in terms of the frequency and the scale of such events—and to suggest their advocates see it as panacea is quite the straw-stuffing tactic.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (11-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It might not be a "gotcha question", but it's certainly a question starting from a false pretext. Nobody advocating for a more robust legal-regulatory intervention is arguing that such measures would prevent every mass-shooting or eliminate all gun deaths. Such measures represent a strategy of mitigation—both in terms of the frequency and the scale of such events—and to suggest their advocates see it as panacea is quite the straw-stuffing tactic.
    Ok... so if we pass "common sense gun laws"... and this happens again, then we won't have a month long obsessive debate on how more needs to be done?