Jared James 1-3, BB, K

Corbin Clouse 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Josh Graham 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

TUESDAY GAME

Mesa 5, Peoria 1

Ronald Acuna 1-4, K

Austin Riley, 1-3, HR (5th), RBI

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-09-2017), Runnin (11-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Longenhan or whatever his last name says Riley’s bat isn’t a speed issue, but a load issue. Something to think about , but sounds more fixable than just a slow bat.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    We heard reports he made changes to his stance and hands in 2016 and that he worked hard on his defense in 2017. That is a good sign he's coachable and is willing to work. That long swing can stall a lot of young power hitters. It'll be up to him to work on shortening that swing in 2018.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-09-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Maybe it's a body-type resemblance, but I keep thinking Riley may be a RHH version of Ryan Klesko.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-09-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Maybe it's a body-type resemblance, but I keep thinking Riley may be a RHH version of Ryan Klesko.
    I loved me some Klesko. BTW Klesko came up at 23 which brings up an interesting point. If you look at all of the power hitting 3B over the last 4 to 5 years they all came up at about 23 outside of Machado.

I like Riley, but I have a hard time thinking he's so much better than everyone that he's going to come up sooner and be effective. He's going to have his adjustment period.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-09-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I loved me some Klesko. BTW Klesko came up at 23 which brings up an interesting point. If you look at all of the power hitting 3B over the last 4 to 5 years they all came up at about 23 outside of Machado.

I like Riley, but I have a hard time thinking he's so much better than everyone that he's going to come up sooner and be effective. He's going to have his adjustment period.
    I can see some similarities to Klesko. Biggest difference is Klesko walked at about twice the rate of Riley and K'd at almost half the rate. But, if Riley can stick at 3B (and that seems likely now), he wont have to hit like Klesko to provide value.

I'm wondering if a better comp might be Kyle Seager.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-09-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I can see some similarities to Klesko. Biggest difference is Klesko walked at about twice the rate of Riley and K'd at almost half the rate. But, if Riley can stick at 3B (and that seems likely now), he wont have to hit like Klesko to provide value.

I'm wondering if a better comp might be Kyle Seager.
    LOL is that all? They are basically the same player then!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I liked the lesser version of Lamb comp

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I liked the lesser version of Lamb comp
    I like the Lamb comp. I wouldn't call it lesser though. Lamb was still in college at 20, not in AA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Lamb debuted at like 23.

He wasn’t hitting in the AFL at 20.

I don’t think people give enough credit to the age vs level comparison .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL is that all? They are basically the same player then!
    Yeah, it's a pretty important difference. There are physical similarities and I could see Riley having similar power. But Klesko's plate discipline sets him apart.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I didn't look at the stat profile. I was thinking more that both Riley and Klesko were heralded two-way players in high school and if Klesko hadn't injured his arm as a senior, he would have most likely been drafted earlier than he was and as a pitcher. I was thinking more about how similar they look physically and that they each faced questions about their defensive ability. I'm not sold on Riley, but as others have pointed out, he's extremely young. He's on pretty much the same ascent rate through the system as Klesko and it took Klesko two pretty much full seasons at AAA before he landed in Atlanta full-time. May be the same for Riley.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I didn't look at the stat profile. I was thinking more that both Riley and Klesko were heralded two-way players in high school and if Klesko hadn't injured his arm as a senior, he would have most likely been drafted earlier than he was and as a pitcher. I was thinking more about how similar they look physically and that they each faced questions about their defensive ability. I'm not sold on Riley, but as others have pointed out, he's extremely young. He's on pretty much the same ascent rate through the system as Klesko and it took Klesko two pretty much full seasons at AAA before he landed in Atlanta full-time. May be the same for Riley.
    Which is one of the reasons I've been so big on signing Moose. It's great to read the reports of Riley's improving defense, but obviously everyone's not sold yet. Give Riley a full season at Mississippi in 2018 to continue refining his skills on both sides of the ball and see where his defense is after asking him to focus more on his plate discipline and shortening his swing this year. If the doubters are right, you transition him to LF in Gwinnett in 2019 (or even late this season if he continues to blow up AA pitching), and give him the opportunity to force you to bench or even release Kemp sometime after the break, or he steps in on Opening Day 2020. That's obviously not two full years at AAA, but it's hard for me to believe that his bat won't be MLB-ready two years from now regardless of how much time he spends at each level - his ability to make adjustments thus far gives me little reason to doubt he'll be ready offensively at that point.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-09-2017 at 05:44 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Burns believes the Braves won't go for upper-tier free agents this winter, and as one of six players who received the qualifying offer, Moustakas fits into that upper-tier FA category. A long-term agreement with Moustakas would also block third base prospect Austin Riley, a player that Burns thinks could make his way to Atlanta as soon as next season.

Per Gabriel Burns of the AJC - who I have never heard of

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-09-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Lamb debuted at like 23.

He wasn’t hitting in the AFL at 20.

I don’t think people give enough credit to the age vs level comparison .
    This all day. For some reason so many are quick to dismiss riley. Not sure what else riley could have done at this point. He's not a superstar prosper but he's definitely a guy who has a higher than normal chance at beING a good major leaguer.
    Natural Immunity Croc

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-09-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Burns believes the Braves won't go for upper-tier free agents this winter, and as one of six players who received the qualifying offer, Moustakas fits into that upper-tier FA category. A long-term agreement with Moustakas would also block third base prospect Austin Riley, a player that Burns thinks could make his way to Atlanta as soon as next season.

Per Gabriel Burns of the AJC - who I have never heard of
    Well....we were told point blank by Coppy that the Braves were only looking to add 1-2 BP arms, so this shouldn't come as any surprise.

They don't have any money to add even 2nd tier FAs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This all day. For some reason so many are quick to dismiss riley. Not sure what else riley could have done at this point. He's not a superstar prosper but he's definitely a guy who has a higher than normal chance at beING a good major leaguer.
    Did people dismiss him, or did people say he isn't a guy to plan around?

Just because we don't jump and down cheer leading for every single prospect that has a good week like you doesn't mean we are dismissing them.