Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollywood/Political Sex Offense Scandals (Now Louis CK and AL-GOPSenateNom Roy Moore)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    We can save ourselves a lot of time and just acknowledge that Moore is a scumbag because (R), and Clinton needs more context because (D)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Ketchup
    What's that? What Bill calls his dick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    your knowledge of the 90's ---- as Larry David would say
    " ah hh not so much"
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    We can save ourselves a lot of time and just acknowledge that Moore is a scumbag because (R), and Clinton needs more context because (D)
    that's not even the discussion taking place. but in your simple world where there is no nuance and context doesn't matter, sure. you do you. meanwhile, your boy rand paul hasn't un-endorsed the pedophile and a former ron paul staffer said he'd be "fine" with a child predator over a dem in the senate.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I think most of us have agreed that Bill Clinton is a scumbag?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2017), Runnin (11-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    that's not even the discussion taking place. but in your simple world where there is no nuance and context doesn't matter, sure. you do you. meanwhile, your boy rand paul hasn't un-endorsed the pedophile and a former ron paul staffer said he'd be "fine" with a child predator over a dem in the senate.
    OH NO!

1. I couldn't give a **** about Roy Moore. If I was in Alabama, I wouldn't vote for him

2. I don't support Rand paul. I did not vote for him in the 2016 primary

3. I don't care about Ron Paul staffers.

4. I think it's dangerous to auto-assume everyone is guilty at the first allegation

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    But we can't agree on the simple fact that he is a rapist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    57 would need to know who he was running against before saying whether he'd vote for him (kind of sounds like Roy Moore supporters, no?)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    57 would need to know who he was running against before saying whether he'd vote for him (kind of sounds like Roy Moore supporters, no?)
    All I'm saying is that your point about liberal hypocrisy would be better received if you didn't cherry pick the one person in this thread supporting the claim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I don't care about how much of a deviant Bill was. Moore is disgusting and it would take a special kind of candidate running against him for me to give him my support.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    4. I think it's dangerous to auto-assume everyone is guilty at the first allegation
    as do i. but this isn't the case for anyone being discussed.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You keep saying that there’s clarity and certainty about your position, but I’m not seeing either. Where did she type “sexual assault/sexual harassment”? Yes, sexual harassment actually (certainly) can be a crime, and no, there’s not a clear distinction between sexual assault and rape.
    You can't a see clarity between sexual assault and sexual harassment? Have you even watched your HR videos at work?

I never said there was a clear disinction between sexual assault and rape, although sexaul isn't necessarily rape in all situations.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-14-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    You can't a see clarity between sexual assault and sexual harassment? Have you even watched your HR videos at work?

I never said there was a disinction between sexual assault and rape.
    I can see a very fine line between sexual assault and sexual harassment, although - to be clear - I find it trifling in this instance. I'd like to see whatever HR videos you watched that have led you to believe that sexual harassment is a kind of lesser act.

In your first post you said "sexual assault/sexual harassment" ... now you are just clinging on to sexual harassment.

I still would like to know where Lewinsky typed "sexual assault/sexual harassment" and why you feel so comfortable inferring that she's now only talking about sexual harassment, although I have a feeling that I'm never going to find out.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I’m not sure where you are getting your information from here, but it’s off base. That particular distinction does not exist in the law. Rape falls under the umbrella of sexual assault. Fondling is not even sexual assault, atleast in how it is codified.
    Philosophically, I don't disagree that the "penetrative qualifier" is problematic and risks obscuring other forms of sexual violence behind the "king crime" of rape. But out society does understand "to **** someone" without consent (whether vaginal, anal, or oral) to be the contingent part of "to rape", and we're not talking about my definition or yours, but the collective definition.

This is from the Department of Justice website, clarifying the definition of rape (which had been unchanged from 1927 to 2012):

“The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.”
    This is from the website of a rape crisis center:

Rape is defined as unwanted penetration, whether that is oral, anal, or vaginal. Sexual assault refers to any unwanted sexual contact, including fondling and molestation.
    Clearly, the overriding working definition of "rape" is a kind of sexual assault that includes penetration—both for groups whose job it is to support victims, and for federal entities tasked with investigating and prosecuting abusers (FBI, Department of Justice). Statutory definitions vary wildly amongst states, but Montana likewise makes a codified distinction between "sexual assault" (defined in Montana Code section 45-5-502 as "knowingly subject[ing] another person to any sexual contact without consent") and "rape" (defined in Montana Code section 45-5-503 as "knowingly [having] sexual intercourse without consent with another person"); the former carries with it a first time sentence of "a fine of up to $500, and/or imprisonment for up to six months", while the latter carries "imprisonment for between four and 100 years and a fine of up to $50,000". (Bizarrely, there are even differing consent ages defined between the two in Montana—14 versus 16—so apparently it's legal for an adult to sexually contact a 14-year-old, but they'd have to wait two more birthdays for intercourse.) Likewise, the Title IX training I just had to go through certainly made a big point of drawing this distinction—another federal perspective on these two formulations of abuse.

So that's where I'm getting my information from, and it doesn't really seem off-base at all. Like I said, I don't necessarily disagree with you about how we should look at sexual violence, but I'm talking about how we are defining it as a society right now; and, in that context, "rape" is penetration and "sexual assault" is all other unwanted/non-consensual sexual touching.

I’m saying the coercion was inherent.
    Because of the power dynamics?
    Last edited by jpx7; 11-14-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos and links
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I can see a very fine line between sexual assault and sexual harassment, although - to be clear - I find it trifling in this instance. I'd like to see whatever HR videos you watched that have led you to believe that sexual harassment is a kind of lesser act.

In your first post you said "sexual assault/sexual harassment" ... now you are just clinging on to sexual harassment.

I still would like to know where Lewinsky typed "sexual assault/sexual harassment" and why you feel so comfortable inferring that she's now only talking about sexual harassment, although I have a feeling that I'm never going to find out.

I admit to it being late and glancing over the tweet. I still feel like stating "sexual assault and sexual harassment" most certainly implies a difference between the two (in her case anyways).

And again, I'm not defending Clinton in this instance or stating she wasn't a victim of rape. Nor, would I have an issue believing her if in fact she claimed she was. However, I absolutely do not believe that tweet is evidence (as you claim) that she was raped.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-14-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    [MENTION=108]jpx7[/MENTION] My comments about penetration were an aside. You claimed that sexual assault and rape were not legally synonymous, and that's specifically what I referred to as being off base and what my entire post was predicated on. I conceded that the overriding social 'working' definition of rape included penetration right off the bat.

Although it is ironic that our construct of what intercourse/penetration actually is metamorphosed in a major way as a result of the Clinton controversy.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-14-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I admit to it being late and glancing over the tweet. I still feel like stating "sexual assault and sexual harassment" most certainly implies a difference between the two.

And again, I'm not defending Clinton in this instance or stating she wasn't a victim of rape. Nor, would I have an issue believing her if in fact she claimed she was. However, I absolutely do not believe that tweet is evidence (as you claim) that she was raped.
    I have never claimed that the tweet (which is literally just "#metoo" - she never states "sexual assault and sexual harassment", that is text from a message she retweeted) is evidence that she was raped. I have asserted that it is likely an admission of sexual malfeasance in relation to Clinton. Malfeasance that I believe is tantamount to rape.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-14-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    While we're here, it's worth mentioning that Montana had some of the most ****ed up sexual assault laws in the country until they were essentially forced to rewrite the statues involving consent a few months ago.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I have never claimed that the tweet (which is literally just "#metoo" - she never states "sexual assault and sexual harassment", that is text from a message she retweeted) is evidence that she was raped. I have asserted that it is likely an admission of sexual malfeasance in relation to Clinton. Malfeasance that I believe is tantamount to rape.
    Forgive me on the retweeted part. I do not tweet myself. That may be where at least part of the confusion lays.

Still, it seems flimsy at best, to associate that as some of admittance by ML that she was raped (which you initially responded with to the question of "Did Monica ever call it rape?")

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    [MENTION=108]jpx7[/MENTION] My comments about penetration were an aside. You claimed that sexual assault and rape were not legally synonymous, and that's specifically what I referred to as being off base and what my entire post was predicated on. I conceded that the overriding social 'working' definition of rape included penetration right off the bat.

Although it is ironic that our construct of what intercourse/penetration actually is metamorphosed in a major way as a result of the Clinton controversy.
    Maybe "synonymous" confused the issue, insofar as many jurisdictions consider "rape" to be a more severe form of "sexual assault" that includes penetration—but I thought that was obvious, considering unwanted penetration requires unwanted touching as a precondition of its physical reality. But even that form of synonymy is jurisdictional: in Montana, as I cited, "sexual assault" and "rape" are legally codified separately.

As for redefining or re-understanding "what intercourse/penetration actually is", I wonder how much of that rests of the fact that, for a long time, non-vaginal penetration was criminal even if consensual, thanks to sodomy laws.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."