Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,348 Posts

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    I don't know what the internal politics behind the hire were (and don't care). I'm just glad it isn't Hendry.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-13-2017), Garmel (11-13-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    All these external sources indicate that the talent pool is deep, which made the job attractive. Yet at least one certain someone here makes it seem as if there's Albies, Acuna, Inciarte, lucking out on Gohara and nothing else to show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    All these external sources indicate that the talent pool is deep, which made the job attractive. Yet at least one certain someone here makes it seem as if there's Albies, Acuna, Inciarte, lucking out on Gohara and nothing else to show.
    I think the Gohara trade is one that Coppolella deserves a lot of credit for. Acuna, Albies and Inciarte were gifts of the previous regime and Dave Stewart respectively. Then there is the Wood-Oliveira trade.

As for the drafts, 2015 looked very strong to me from the outset and has panned out well. I'm less impressed by the next two drafts but we need a year or two for a better evaluation.

The farm system is flush. But when you consider drafting high for the past three years (with multiple extra picks in the early rounds), blowing past slot on international signings, and trading away Heyward (1 year of contractual control), Justin Upton (1 year), Kimbrel (4), Simmons (5), Gattis (4), Wood (4.5), and the fact that the best talent was inherited (Albies, Acuna), then I think the overall picture becomes less impressive.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BeanieAntics (11-14-2017), JohnAdcox (11-14-2017), jpx7 (11-14-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the Gohara trade is one that Coppolella deserves a lot of credit for. Acuna, Albies and Inciarte were gifts of the previous regime and Dave Stewart respectively. Then there is the Wood-Oliveira trade.

As for the drafts, 2015 looked very strong to me from the outset and has panned out well. I'm less impressed by the next two drafts but we need a year or two for a better evaluation.

The farm system is flush. But when you consider drafting high for the past three years (with multiple extra picks in the early rounds), blowing past slot on international signings, and trading away Heyward (1 year of contractual control), Justin Upton (1 year), Kimbrel (4), Simmons (5), Gattis (4), Wood (4.5), and the fact that the best talent was inherited (Albies, Acuna), then I think the overall picture becomes less impressive.
    This. And its still possible to hold this position and still think the Braves have a great farm system.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    This. And its still possible to hold this position and still think the Braves have a great farm system.
    It'll be 2-3 years before we can have a full evaluation of the Coppy rebuild. But I'd give it an interim grade of C+/B-.

We are set up for a competitive window of at least 5 years starting in 2020, give or take a year.

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I can understand questioning some of the moves Coppy made or the stategy employed, but blaming him for using his resources seems strange. Trading for extra picks, going overslot, and trading veterans away seems like what every GM in a rebuild does.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2017), Knucksie (11-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,149 Posts
    It'll be 2-3 years before we can have a full evaluation of the Coppy rebuild. But I'd give it an interim grade of C+/B-.

We are set up for a competitive window of at least 5 years starting in 2020, give or take a year.
    Agreed. I always stated Coppy and the rest of the FO was slightly below average. Folks point to the farm system as if any professional sports GM couldn't have done exactly the same thing. Any organization who sells off a handful of valuable assets, picks up a few top draft picks, and inherits Acuna/Albies should have an excellent farm system...there is literally no skill involved in making that happen.

My ding on Coppy has less to do with individual moves or prospects acquired (all GMs miss on prospects and have trades that look bad in hindsight), and more to do with the overall processes followed by the organization.

Shooting for 2017 contention was a bad process that resulted in bad moves like keeping Teheran, and acquiring HO/Kemp.

Valuing pitching prospects over position prospects resulted in the farm having less overall value than it potentially could have.

Promoting Swanson and Albies unnecessarily cost the Braves a lot of future value in exchange for almost zero present value.

Those are all bad processes employed by a below average FO/GM, and is why I always graded Coppy as a C- or worse. I am hopeful AA will be better.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-14-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

That one year of control on Heyward netted the very useful and effective Miller, who we all know brought more bounty. Inciarte, alone, was worth the price of admission. Sorry to repeat myself, but anything that Swanson ultimately accomplishes is gravy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    That one year of control on Heyward netted the very useful and effective Miller, who we all know brought more bounty. Inciarte, alone, was worth the price of admission. Sorry to repeat myself, but anything that Swanson ultimately accomplishes is gravy.
    The trade with Arizona has turned out very well. For a while, it looked like it would be an enormous haul for us and I think we all got a bit greedy. But it has turned out very well.

"I am your retribution."