Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: It's Anthopoulos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Lengthy article with a lot of quotes from AA's media availability at the GM meetings today. Seems like they are leaning toward pursuing an external 3B option, and maybe an option that requires more than a 1 year commitment.

“Yeah, we’ve talked about the bullpen and third base and things like that,” he said. “But it’s still fluid because you’re also trying to time it with some of the young players we have. We’re very excited about (third-base prospect Austin) Riley long term. (Riley’s performance in the Arizona) Fall League was great, people are very excited internally about him and what’s the time frame. Knowing at the same time, even if you do come up at some point, are you going to stay up? Guys have three (minor league) options for a reason; I mean, it might take a few years.
    http://www.myajc.com/sports/baseball...TNZSCumvxjzNM/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    “From that standpoint, we ultimately want to win but we want to win over the long term, so we’re not going to rush things, we’re not going to accelerate things. I need to get a better handle on what the timing might be, but the thought is when we finally get going, we don’t stop. I think everything’s in place with the ballpark, the resources, ownership, the young talent, the scouting and player development departments here have done a great job, clearly. So knowing that could potentially have a conveyor belt and just continue to run talent through, it’s going to be very exciting.”
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    “From that standpoint, we ultimately want to win but we want to win over the long term, so we’re not going to rush things, we’re not going to accelerate things. I need to get a better handle on what the timing might be, but the thought is when we finally get going, we don’t stop. I think everything’s in place with the ballpark, the resources, ownership, the young talent, the scouting and player development departments here have done a great job, clearly. So knowing that could potentially have a conveyor belt and just continue to run talent through, it’s going to be very exciting.”
    So in other words, expect a payroll of $100M-$110M in 2018.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    “That was by design in the draft, we were going to draft the arms and trade for the bats.”

Sigh. Not what we wanted to hear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    “That was by design in the draft, we were going to draft the arms and trade for the bats.”

Sigh. Not what we wanted to hear.
    You think he’s just going to come in and throw the organization under the bus?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Chico (11-15-2017), Jaw (11-15-2017), JohnAdcox (11-17-2017), The Chosen One (11-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Love to idea of not rushing things. I'm obviously a big believer in the old guard but the moves were certainly questionable held against the standard of whta you would expect to see with a long rebuild project. With that being said - I don't spend any money this offseason aside from a reliever and just let the Kemp/Markakis contracts run out. The team is set up real well for the future and as long we allocate the necessary resources to the farm system it will continue (KEEP CLARK/BRIDGES)
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I wouldn't put too much stock in to what AA says right now. He's going to be vanilla as possible. There's no advantage to him to be anything but vanilla.

If Coppy had alientated half the GM's out there with his obnoxiousness then AA's phone should be ringing off the hook right now with GM's who have been interested in some of our guys but didn't want to deal with Coppy.

I have no idea what he's going to do. It could be a season to let the kids play and get better acquainted with our players or he could have a few things in mind already to switch things around.

He's not tied to anyone. He could do whatever he wants and it'll just be a new GM customizing his roster to his liking.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    You think he’s just going to come in and throw the organization under the bus?
    You're probably right to some extent. A lot of what he said was a hat tip to the current personnel. This will be a fascinating draft as they meld the Braves scouting with (hopefully) AA's proper valuation of pitchers vs position players.

He is definitely priming the fan base for an unexciting offseason and a reduced payroll though.

If they don't have any money I think that's a far better course of action than trading prospects for MLB pieces this offseason, so I have to give him credit for realizing that at least.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Like most, AA has his strengths and his weaknesses. He is definitely a strong believer in advanced analytics, having built out the Jays first analytics department with Joe Sheenan and then plucking Jason Pare from the Indians and strongly recommended the retention of a programmer to build out what is now the Jays current database (which Joe, Sanjay Choudhury and Peter Saunders now run under LaCava and Atkins). He is also one of the most vocal GMs of this new generation regarding the importance of traditional scouting - he’s big on combining all facets of information to make a decision which I doubt anyone questions.

The one downside to AA I see is that an analysis of his drafts while GM of the Jays leaves a lot to be desired *hitting* wise. He’s been incredibly successful with pitchers - especially pitchers down in the draft (he even passed on signing multiple first rounders (eg, Tyler Beede, Phil Bickford etc only to use that money on other players who had better production). Of course that fits right in with the Braves Way, but I am hoping we do a better job on position prospects in the future.

All of this to say I’m still very much a fan of AA’a hiring and have higher hopes that I did just a week ago about the near term future of this organization

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

Chico (11-15-2017), jpx7 (11-15-2017), NYCBrave (11-15-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    Like most, AA has his strengths and his weaknesses. He is definitely a strong believer in advanced analytics, having built out the Jays first analytics department with Joe Sheenan and then plucking Jason Pare from the Indians and strongly recommended the retention of a programmer to build out what is now the Jays current database (which Joe, Sanjay Choudhury and Peter Saunders now run under LaCava and Atkins). He is also one of the most vocal GMs of this new generation regarding the importance of traditional scouting - he’s big on combining all facets of information to make a decision which I doubt anyone questions.

The one downside to AA I see is that an analysis of his drafts while GM of the Jays leaves a lot to be desired *hitting* wise. He’s been incredibly successful with pitchers - especially pitchers down in the draft (he even passed on signing multiple first rounders (eg, Tyler Beede, Phil Bickford etc only to use that money on other players who had better production). Of course that fits right in with the Braves Way, but I am hoping we do a better job on position prospects in the future.

All of this to say I’m still very much a fan of AA’a hiring and have higher hopes that I did just a week ago about the near term future of this organization
    It seems he appreciates the best of both worlds when it comes to traditional scouting and analytics. That's a good start to a good GM. If you're bullish one way or the other then you're piegonholing yourself and not learning more, which should be the ultimate goal of anyone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post

I have been told by folks on this board that AA was not being truthful when he stated he wants to build around pitching, so you clearly have nothing to worry about in that regard.

My major hope is that he learned a lot about the value of position prospects with the Dodgers.

Regardless, AA is the best case scenario when considering all the realistic hires the Braves could have made.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-17-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Here's something interesting. IN AA's tenure as GM of the Jays he made 3 FA signings of more than 1 year deals. 2/16 to Melky winter of 2012, 3/10 to Mecier Izturis winter of 2012, and 5/82 to Russell Martin winter of 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I have been told by folks on this board that AA was not being truthful when he stated he wants to build around pitching, so you clearly have nothing to worry about in that regard.

My major hope is that he learned a lot about the value of position prospects with the Dodgers.

Regardless, AA is the best case scenario when considering all the realistic hires the Braves could have made.
    I didn’t say that

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    You're probably right to some extent. A lot of what he said was a hat tip to the current personnel. This will be a fascinating draft as they meld the Braves scouting with (hopefully) AA's proper valuation of pitchers vs position players.

He is definitely priming the fan base for an unexciting offseason and a reduced payroll though.

If they don't have any money I think that's a far better course of action than trading prospects for MLB pieces this offseason, so I have to give him credit for realizing that at least.
    Honestly, even if we had a relatively significant amount of money I wouldn't want to make any big splashes this offseason. There aren't any guys in this class that I view as really solid long term pieces that fit our organization. I think the best course of action is to stay on our current trajectory, continue to let the prospects develop, and maybe eye a few pieces from the much better 2018 class. Obviously we likely can't afford any of the big names in that class, but even from a depth standpoint I am a much bigger fan of the potential names next year than I am this year. Plus the timing just works out better. We will have a better grip on who is and isn't a viable part of our future within the organization

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Honestly, even if we had a relatively significant amount of money I wouldn't want to make any big splashes this offseason. There aren't any guys in this class that I view as really solid long term pieces that fit our organization. I think the best course of action is to stay on our current trajectory, continue to let the prospects develop, and maybe eye a few pieces from the much better 2018 class. Obviously we likely can't afford any of the big names in that class, but even from a depth standpoint I am a much bigger fan of the potential names next year than I am this year. Plus the timing just works out better. We will have a better grip on who is and isn't a viable part of our future within the organization
    There are several ways to spend money short term if it was available. For example, acquiring Ozuna plus a bad contract form the Marlins.

It's not a binary decision. The Braves can spend money wisely if they have it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    DOB interview with Stan Kasten from LAD (and formerly ATL), who gushes over AA. Exciting stuff.

“The process that the Dodgers’ front office utilized in not just evaluating players and developing players but in attacking games, utilizing the roster, strategizing how you go game by game, pitch by pitch — that, I think is new in a lot of respects,” Kasten said. “It’s becoming more and more the norm, but no one now has a better grounding in it than Alex does, and I think it’s because of what he’s picked up in the last two years.”

Does that mean Anthopoulos was completely immersed in analytics as well as scouting?

“He’s not, necessarily; he doesn’t have to be the analytics guy, but he knows what it requires,” Kasten said. “And he does know that it works. I’d like to compete against people who still think it doesn’t work, frankly. For sure, it works. It’s just information. Now, you have to get the right people behind you (to develop and apply it) and he will, because who doesn’t want to work with Alex? I mean, he really is a good guy, so you’ll have no trouble there.”

The other key point, especially given the recent front-office discord, especially under Coppolella but also Frank Wren before him: Everyone who knows Anthopoulos said the same thing, that he will actively listen to all of those around him, get everyone involved and not be inflexible or closed to new ideas.

“He’s an outstanding baseball man and an even better person,” said Perry Minasian, who was hired as Braves director of player personnel in September, hired away from the Blue Jays, where he was Anthopoulos’ scouting director and became close enough friends with him that he was in Anthopoulos’ wedding. “From a leadership standpoint, for where we are as an organization I think he’s a great fit. He’s going to bring energy, creativity, he’s big into creating an atmosphere where everybody can be themselves, which I think is great. He’s very collaborative as far as making decisions.

“He loves information, and he’s got the ability to take people’s opinions and filter through what he receives and actually dissect the thing that mean the most and make quality decisions. With the amount of experience that’s in Atlanta – John Hart, John Schuerholz, Bobby Cox, Terry – he’ll use those assets. He respects what people have done in the game. He’s a forward thinker, but respects what’s been done in the past and how people do it. He asks a lot of questions, which I think is a great quality to have.”

And did we mention work ethic?

“He works,” Kasten said. “He doesn’t have hobbies, this is what he does. He does it 24/7. And a lot of guys are like that, but I think he has, as I said, the great combination of scouting and analytics combined with a great personality, that’s easy for other GMs to relate to and work with. That’s how he always did the big, impressive and ambitious deals when he was in Toronto. He still has that tool in his tool kit, but I think he’s very committed to scouting and player development, which again I can’t emphasize enough – no matter how many of us utlize analytics, this business is still about scouting and player development. Always has been, always will be.”
    http://atlantabraves.blog.myajc.com/...ing-backgound/

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (11-16-2017), Garmel (11-17-2017), JohnAdcox (11-17-2017), jpx7 (11-17-2017), NYCBrave (11-16-2017), Tapate50 (11-17-2017), The Chosen One (11-17-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    It seems he appreciates the best of both worlds when it comes to traditional scouting and analytics. That's a good start to a good GM. If you're bullish one way or the other then you're piegonholing yourself and not learning more, which should be the ultimate goal of anyone.
    It's those plus the human element. Being able to interact in a professional way with peers holds sway. Hard for those posting "Braves Way" here and at MLBTR but being a real GM isn't like being a fantasy league team owner. Difficult as it is for some others to comprehend..