Thread: It's Anthopoulos

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    LOL! Keep trying, Enscheff.
    So in your mind, the guys who fired Coppy are the same guys who hired AA and stripped Hart of power? According to your logical deduction skills, those are decisions made by the same people?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I thought AA was Hart's choice?
    It is opaque. It seems that JS championed Moore and then Hendry.

McGuirk is probably the person who had final say. My guess is that McGuirk assigned some of the leg work to Hart, but did not necessarily lean on him for his judgment on who to hire. It seems to me Hart would have preferred to stay with a new contract that would give him continued final say. Someone said no to that, and that's a good thing.

David Glass did us a yuge favor.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-13-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I thought AA was Hart's choice?
    Yes, I'm sure Hart decided to give up all power. He was like, "I immediately fired Coppy and tried to get him to sign a NDA to save my own ass, but now? Now I'm just going to pass the torch to AA because I'm such a great guy".

Come on guys...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-13-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I think it bears repeating that the Hart/Coppy tandem (even aside from the scandal) produced mediocre results. They did have an excellent draft in 2015, but the next two were not as good. They had a disastrous trade (Wood for Oliveira) and generally did not get good value when they traded away the guys from the 2014 team. We can thank our lucky stars for Dave Stewart and two unexpectedly valuable leftovers from the Wren era. The rebuild would be in very bad shape if not for Acuna, Albies and Inciarte.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think it bears repeating that the Hart/Coppy tandem (even aside from the scandal) produced mediocre results. They did have an excellent draft in 2015, but the next two were not as good. They had a disastrous trade (Wood for Oliveira) and generally did not get good value when they traded away the guys from the 2014 team. We can thank our lucky stars for Dave Stewart and two unexpectedly valuable leftovers from the Wren era. The rebuild would be in very bad shape if not for Acuna, Albies and Inciarte.
    Hey, don't crap on my love for Wright you mean negi!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yes, I'm sure Hart decided to give up all power. He was like, "I immediately fired Coppy to save my own ass, but now? Now I'm just going to pass the torch to AA because I'm such a great guy".

Come on guys...
    I disagree with your assumption Hart fired Coppy because of analytics, but I agree that Coppy was definitely scapegoated to save Hart’s own skin.

I am curious who championed for AA at the end of the day. It doesn’t seem like a JS hire and I doubt it was Hart’s idea to hire someone to take over baseball ops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Hey, don't crap on my love for Wright you mean negi!!
    We'll see on Wright. Too early to tell.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I disagree with your assumption Hart fired Coppy because of analytics, but I agree that Coppy was definitely scapegoated to save Hart’s own skin.

I am curious who championed for AA at the end of the day. It doesn’t seem like a JS hire and I doubt it was Hart’s idea to hire someone to take over baseball ops.
    If Coppy was a good ol' boy dinosaur living in the 90s, I bet any amount of money he wouldn't have been fired immediately like he was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Either McGuirk stepped up to the plate or there was an intervention from corporate.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    If Coppy was a good ol' boy dinosaur living in the 90s, I bet any amount of money he wouldn't have been fired immediately like he was.
    Blakely is a good ol’ boy scouting type from the 90’s and he was scapegoated too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

I really believe we have seen the last of Hart. His role with the hire of AA has been reduced to almost nothing. I think he will be gone with the investigation results.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Hart's power was going to be sacrificed in order to get Moore, our first choice. To get a good GM we couldn't have Hart over him. It's that simple.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I had resigned myself to Moore being the next guy in charge so AA looks really good now. I believe he will be an improvement over Coppy and hopefully the days of Hart and JS over looking decisions are over. I'm also excited that he is an outsider.

I was looking at the post someone linked to on another tread detailing AA's best and worst moves as a GM. Like all GM's he made some bad moves but even his bad moves weren't as bad as the HO for Wood and Kemp for HO so he is probably a better than average GM.

AA built a winner but left the Jays before he had to show his ability to sustain winning. The big unknown with him is his ability to manage a winning team long term. IMO Moore was terrible at managing a winner so I'm glad he didn't get the job.

On a side note. How many times will "Braves Way" be mentioned in his introduction? I wonder if he had to swear an oath to uphold the Braves Way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    We've got ourselves a Jim Hendry fan, I see.
    Nope. I didn't like Hendry either. Just don't like a lot of what I've read about AA. I don't think he's what the toxic atmosphere permeating the Braves front office needs.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Nope. I didn't like Hendry either. Just don't like a lot of what I've read about AA. I don't think he's what the toxic atmosphere permeating the Braves front office needs.

The loud mouth on the MLB High Heat says AA is a solid hire to get the Braves through their troubles... He is incredibly annoying, but seems to know a bit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Either McGuirk stepped up to the plate or there was an intervention from corporate.
    ding ding ding

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think you're reading too much into the one quote comparing him to Coppy. I don't think we even knew exactly what that meant.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-14-2017), Chico (11-13-2017), Hawk (11-13-2017), Jaw (11-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think you're reading too much into the one quote comparing him to Coppy. I don't think we even knew exactly what that meant.
    Entirely possible. But even if he were capable of putting the front office in order and getting rid of the toxic environment, I still don't like his obsession with over the hill guys.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't know what the internal politics behind the hire were (and don't care). I'm just glad it isn't Hendry.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-13-2017), Garmel (11-13-2017)